I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010 | 07:30 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question

After reading page after page in this forum I'm still having problems deciding on which programmer is gonna be best for me.My truck is bone stock.Stock EVERYTHING.My only plans in the future are leveling kit,33's,cai,and true duals with bullits.Thats it.I would like to do the programmer first.Which one would be best on a stock truck,there's no telling how long its gonna be before I do the other mods...its at least gonna be months.I don't need a ton of power just a little more ***** so my wifes 07 tahoe wont beat it......again,lol! Thanks oh yeah,my truck is a 2005 fx4 supercab 5.4 with 78,xxx miles

Old 10-17-2010 | 07:51 PM
|
I'm thinking about going with grypon cts.But what tunes should I go with? This stuff is confusing.I just want some performance and upgrade the fuel economy.87.89,93 are the only octanes available to me but I never run 87.I dont tow trailers either.What tunes do you guys recomend???

Old 10-17-2010 | 08:31 PM
|
no suggestions?

Old 10-17-2010 | 09:30 PM
Mine is an '05 FX4 as well. I just installed a Gryphon (monochrome) on Friday. For now I have canned tunes. Currently running the 93 Perf tune and it does a nice job, especially with the transmission. I had a terrible "kickdown" lag and that's gone. The throttle response is much better, as in it seems to rev quicker and breath a lot better. That doesn't make much sense since I didn't do anything to physically increase airflow. But maybe it's taking advantage of the GOTTS DWV intake mod, which is what I'd recommend you do. It's cheap and increases usable airflow plenty enough. Plus you don't have to listen to the big howl when you get into the throttle.

My plan is to play with the 87 and 93 tunes to see which one nets me the best fuel economy (mpg vs. cost/gal). Then I'll decide which way to go with my custom tunes. Maybe get those ordered in a month or two. I'm currently running true duals and the GOTTS mod and that's it for the engine. I have added a 2" AS level and 295/70/18 Terra Grapplers. I'll report back when I've had more seat time with the Gryphon.

As to programmers, I didn't feel that I needed the extra bling of the CS or CTS, so I opted for the Gryphon/Evo platform. The programming is the same, just not all the bling and $100 or so cheaper.

David

Old 10-17-2010 | 11:40 PM
|
I'll deff.look into the one you got.All the symptons you had prior to installing is what I'm having aswell.I think the canned tunes will be fine for what I'm looking to get out of a tuner.Please keep me informed....Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Old 10-17-2010 | 11:56 PM
www.gopowerhungry.com

These folks are members here, GroovyChick is Corey, Bill's wife. Bill is the man. There's a story on their webpage about his background. It's Power Hungry Performance in Winder, GA. Anytime you see PHP on here, that's what the poster is referring to. They offer the CS and CTS as well.

With the cold air intake you're gonna need a custom tune. These trucks are known to run lean with any of the CAI kits. The GOTTS mod or DWV mod moves more air than the engine can use and you won't have to worry about it running lean. I did the DWV version on mine. It's simple to do and only takes an hour or so start to finish. Cost will probably run around $15 or so. I've got a stick of the black pipe to keep you from buying a full 10' section to cut 7" of it.

David

Old 10-17-2010 | 11:58 PM
Here's the link to the intake mod. I'm talking about.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...4l-engine.html

David

Old 10-18-2010 | 07:51 PM
|
I read that thread the other day but I think I want to go with the afe...I had one on my 7.3 diesel f250 and it really made a diffrence.On the other hand,I'm so broke at the moment....I might just end up doing the $15 mod for now,lol!

Old 10-19-2010 | 02:23 PM
Truck of the Month
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
so what gears are in the truck with these 33" tires???

Old 10-19-2010 | 04:33 PM
Neil,

If you like the sound of the AFE that's great. Just don't put your truck in a lean situation. So if you do a CAI you need to get custom tunes. With the $15 mod that's not a concern and it flows more air than the engine can use. You just don't get the sound.

If you need the pipe let me know. I've got a 4' or so stick in my garage collecting dust. I'll cut you a piece and mail it to you free of charge if that'll help you out.

David

Old 10-20-2010 | 08:32 PM
|
[QUOTE=x2mosg;4371256]Neil,

If you like the sound of the AFE that's great. Just don't put your truck in a lean situation. So if you do a CAI you need to get custom tunes. With the $15 mod that's not a concern and it flows more air than the engine can use. You just don't get the sound.

If you need the pipe let me know. I've got a 4' or so stick in my garage collecting dust. I'll cut you a piece and mail it to you free of charge if that'll help you out.

David[/QUO

Man,That is really nice of you.I might just do that.I'll send you a pm and let you know what I decide to do.If I do the true duals like I'm planning I'm gonna need custom tunes anyway and to be honest I do like the sound a little bit.I loved it on my f250...Thank you again!!!

Old 10-21-2010 | 12:30 AM
No sweat, and the offer stands.

Good luck,

David

Old 10-21-2010 | 05:16 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Man,That is really nice of you.I might just do that.I'll send you a pm and let you know what I decide to do.If I do the true duals like I'm planning I'm gonna need custom tunes anyway and to be honest I do like the sound a little bit.I loved it on my f250...Thank you again!!!
Not true, certainly not because of the duals. All the canned tunes will handle duals.

And only fow what it's worth, I'm very pleased with my Superchips Flashpaq 1865 I got from Troyers Performance.

Quick Reply: I have a question