SCT X3 w/ VMP Custom Tunes review

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT X3 w/ VMP Custom Tunes review

Ok, I so finally bit the bullet a week ago and ordered a SCTX3 with 87 Per, 87 Tow and 93 Performance custom tunes from VMP. First, let me say that I paid for the expedited delivery and it was worth it. I had it in my hand 3 days after ordering.

Just FYI, my truck is a 07 KR 150 4x4 with the 6.5' bed. It has a SI/DO Maggie with an Airaid JR intake. Before the tuner I replaced all spark plugs (totally deserves its own thread), oil change, cleaned the airfilter and had the tranny flushed. She just rolled over 70K this morning.

Before the tuner, I got a consistent 13.4MPG around town. On the hwy my average is 18.7MPG with a best of 20.8MPG going up to new jersey via the eastern shore of VA (55 MPH). I keep pretty detailed logs on my fuel so I am very confident in these numbers.

Before the tuner, my acceleration was decent, but the hesitation in shifting killed me. She would pull hard up to 3500ish rpm, then lose some before picking up again near the top of the power band. Again, the hesitation was horrible.

Now, after the tuner. I just got back from a 642 mile hwy trip in which I averaged 19.3MPG. I topped off before I left and refilled when I got home ( I have the 36 gallon tank). She took just over 33.2 gallons. I ran 70 ish the entire way, and really was only off the HWY for maybe 35 miles of that trip.

Performance wise it is night and day. The hesitation is gone and the shifts are a ton firmer and faster. I am running the 87 Performance tune and can tell you 100% that if I were to line up next to my pre tuned 150 I would smoke it. I smoked my dads 06 150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 (I'm talking a good 3 lengths up to 70MPH from a dead stop). Am I suprised, not really, but I didn't expect it to be that much quicker, especially since I am a crew cab and he is a supercab.

Justin at VMP did an outstanding job. I am currently going to run this tank through for a daily work commute average on fuel and see where I get. Then I will bite the bullet on fuel prices and fill up with 93.

I think the best part of it all is that it doesnt take as much throttle to keep speed or gain speed.

Anyways, just wanted to give a good review of VMP and the SCT X3. I'm glad I did it. It really made it into a "new" truck.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Tunes really do make them "different" trucks. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the review....
Glad you like it!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
sweet. i couldnt drive an un-tuned truck after having this

Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAA! My tuner from VMP will be here thursday! I have been countin the days and trackin it on the UPS website.. haha why does florida have to be so far from montana?? Readin this just made me more excited!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
You're the man for posting this. Just yesterday, I filtered through tons of threads racking my brain on which tuner to get. The X3 was at the top of my list, as I wasn't wanting/needing a display. This just reassures me that I should get this X3. I would get the exact same custom tunes as you and definately the expedited shipping seem worth it. I was going to get my bed Line-Xed next, but I think the tune just jumped to first. Thanks for the writeup.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM
In the next few months i will be ordering the X3! Was going for the gryphon but decided I really didn't need the display.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
you wont regret the VMP tuned xcal3! good choice

Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Great to hear another that has realized positive results from the X3 and VMP. Congrats!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
I like the fact that I would have my tunes in 10 days TOPS!!! Also if i needed help with something the customer support is spot on. I emailed VMP with a few questions and got a response in an hour instead of countless emails and phone calls from what I hear of PHP.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by THE_SHOW
I like the fact that I would have my tunes in 10 days TOPS!!! Also if i needed help with something the customer support is spot on. I emailed VMP with a few questions and got a response in an hour instead of countless emails and phone calls from what I hear of PHP.
I got my tunes in 3 days from PHP and had no problem talking to them on the phone when I ordered. Plus, I got gauges!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I got my tunes in 3 days from PHP and had no problem talking to them on the phone when I ordered. Plus, I got gauges!
How many years ago was that?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 AM
^^^^what he said^^^^

Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM
The reason I went with VMP vice anyone else was the positive reviews I have heard of their customer service and my experiences with them vice the popular other tuners. To be honest, I called Troyer, PHP and VMP. The only one to answer the phone when I called was VMP and Justin took the time to answer a few questions I had. Now I am not knocking Troyer or PHP, I have yet to hear any negatives about their tuning abilities.

Anyways, I have had the tuner on for approx 850 miles now. Everytime I hit the gas it puts a smile on my face. Just for an example, I had to merge in a 55mph zone yesterday. This late 80's camaro was being a ***** (yes, I had the blinker on) so I hammer down. He tried to keep up, but I got the jump. I wasn't faster, but had that jump in acceleration over him. That wouldn't have happened prior to the tune. I can't wait to hook up to my boat and see what happens.

Needless to say, this is arguably be the best money I have spent on this truck yet.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 88racing
How many years ago was that?
Well, let me see. Several. I think I was their 2nd or 3rd customer for Edge custom tunes. Do you think that makes a difference? I ordered on Friday and received them on Monday. That was before the Edge units had to be converted.

Quick Reply: SCT X3 w/ VMP Custom Tunes review