New to F-150 world...which chip to get??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to F-150 world...which chip to get??

I'm new to the world of F-150's. I've got a '97 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) I've done quite a bit to it, including many homemade accesories and a chip. My friend has a '98 Expedition 4x4 5.4L. I do know that the F-150's and the Expeditions are basically the same, right?? Anyway, he feels that since I've done a lot to my Jeep, that I would be able to understand and help him out with building his Expy up. I think he could do it without my help, but....he's just a wuss.
Anyway, I wanted to get some info on which chips would be the best to go with for my friend. He's basically not going to take it off-road, that's why he didn't buy a Jeep. He occasionally tows boats, etc... notice the word occasionally. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:34 PM
Superchip all the way. I have one and love it.

Old 07-09-2001, 11:08 PM
one word -- two syllables: SuperChip

Do a search in this forum for tons of additional info...

Good luck

Old 07-09-2001, 11:11 PM
Thanks

Old 07-09-2001, 11:14 PM
Duplicate redundancy

Superchip!

Get in touch with Mike Troyer a.k.a. "Superchips_Distributor"

Old 07-09-2001, 11:22 PM
What Superchip code do I use?

Old 07-10-2001, 09:43 AM
Open Passenger door and look near hinge, White label with numbers and letters. This is computer code you need.

Old 07-10-2001, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi sk8zero,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

The code of Superchip you will need to use depends strictly on the code of the vehicle in which you wish to install the Superchip. So teh first thing to do is to determine the computer code of the vehicle in which you want to install the Superchip.

In the 1997 & newer F-150 & Expeditions, to locate that code is very easy. Go to the passenger side of the vehicle, and open the front passenger door. Then look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges, and there you will find a sticker that has 3 letters and 1 number on it, and that is the computer code. Once in awhile that code sticker will have been washed off or missing due to paint repairs in that area, so if that happens, just go to the computer itself. The computer is located on the passenger side, mostly in the cabin. It will be to the right of the dash assembly, and just above the passenger's kick panel. The Ford computer looks like a rectangular-shaped aluminum "box", and it will be held against it's mounting bracket/plate by a black pressure clip. Simply remove that clip, and then look on the back of the computer where that clip was covering up, and there you will find another code sticker. The black clip will slip back into place.

Once you have the computer code of his Expedition, you can place your order for the Superchip with us by calling our number listed below, or you can simply use our F-150 Online Superchip Ordering System, and the link to take you there is also just below, in our signature line.

You are basically correct in saying that powertrain-wise, the Expeditions & F-150's are very similar. They respond to the same basic modifications in the same basic way.

It sounds like you have some experience doing mods, etc., so just to fill you in a bit on these FoMoCo's specifically, the Top 3 best "bang-for-the-buck" mods to wake his 1998 5.4 Expedition up are:

1.) What you're already doing, optimizing the powertrain program with the Superchip. This will give him the biggest performance gain for the least outlay.

2.) Reduce the restriction in the air intake tract, using an airbox elimination kit, we recomend the Air Force One kit. This will add roughly 18 horsepower to his 5.4 motor.

3.) Reduce restriction on the exhaust side, using a good cat-back exhaust system. These you need to be careful selecting, especially in towing applications, because many of today's aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems will add horsepower but also cause a *loss* in torque on the low-end to mid-range, a critical area of performance for towing, and even in all-round driving in these heavy vehicles. The Magnaflow brand of cat-back systems seem to be doing the best job with torque, with the Gibson Swept-Side model being a decent second choice.

These mods can be done in any order of preference, I've just listed them in order of performance gained per dollar spent. They will all work well together, or you can use any of them just by themselves, it's completely up to the vehicle owner and how much more performance he (or she) needs to get the job done.

Good luck, & we hope your friend with the Expedition will get a chance to drop by here at F-150 Online & visit us!

Quick Reply: New to F-150 world...which chip to get??