which should i bust the bank on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow which should i bust the bank on?

for a 2000 F150 lightning...... Diablo chip or a Super chip? mike I'm sure you'll have something to say and i wont move until you do... please honestly will make me love you. sign on a different name if you dont want me to know it's you...

Old 07-12-2001, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Spade,

Thanks for your kind offer of me coming on here under a different name to give you an "honest" answer, but I don't ever do that, just to let you know. There are some things that I will not say publicly, but I will never be anything less than "honest".

The first thing I will say is that I have no interest in "bashing" that competitor, so I won't give that "type" of answer.

Here at Performance, we don't care what the name on the box is, what we care about is the actual quality of the powertrain program, so if anyone else had something clearly superior to Superchips yet still safe to run, we'd be selling that instead.

It's a matter of record that Superchips has been tuning these supercharged Lightnings far longer than anyone else with the exception of Ford themselves, and has done far more of them. So we've found the little variances, etc. from vehicle to vehicle, in addition to the "tricks & secrets" of the Lightnng's mechanical configuration & ECU programming. The amount of R&D that has been put into the Superchips programs for each model year of the new supercharged Lightning is tremendous, even though it's a very limited market, being a very low production vehicle.

From maximum *safe* raw power output to the actual air/fuel ratios used, from overall driveabiilty to the quality of the shift characteristics, the Superchip is simply a superior performance program that has had far more development work than Diablo, and that's as simply as I can state it.

As far as specifics, our transmission programming is more thorough, we've always been well ahead of them in that aspect, and with regards to actual power output, nobody is making more power than we are at the same A/F ratios we're running on pump premium gas. There are some tuners who have been playing games with leaning out the A/F ratios on those Lightnings which of course brings up power, but it also takes a big risk, and we don't do that. So there are 1-2 other chips out that there can make more raw power than ours does, and I suspect that will always be the case with the Lightning, as we just won't take risks leaning out those A/F's to bring power up more, it's not worth the risk.

The bottom line is that your 2000 Lightning will gain anywhere from 32.5-38 horsepower at the real wheels, 40-47 SAE Net at the flywheel, at sea level altitude. The soft-shift strategies have been taken care of so that the automatic transmission responds as it should with much less slippage & thus much less heat generated. Driveability is noticeably improved as well. We can tune for just about any modification you do, from ported heads to nitrous to high boost levels, gear ratio changes, speedometer, odometer recalibrations, you name it, we can tune for it.

Ultimately, the decision is up to each individual vehicle owner, and we hope you'll be happy with whatevr you decide to go with.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call & we'll be happy to go over all of this with you.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Quick Reply: which should i bust the bank on?