Progressive Black Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Progressive Black Boxes

I've recently had to change my insurance provider because of my wreck I had back in Nov. To keep the rates down, I agreed to use their black box that plugs into the OBD 2 port, so I can't use my Gryphon anymore. Anyone have any experiences with these things? Don't want it to conflict with my custom tuning and leave me stranded, but I have to keep the tunes or else my speedo will be off by over 20 MPH.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To my understanding you dont need to have the Gryphon plugged in all the time, once the tunes are loaded you can unplug, and they will remain infact i know this this as I have unplugged mine when parked in less disirable places and did not plug it back in for a couple days and it ran the same, the only thing was when you did plug it back in it wanted to verify it was a Ford.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC you can buy an OBDII port splitter (Y connector).

Yep, here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-J1962M-2.../dp/B000TMCX72

You may want to go to the Scan Tool's website and ask them if this will work.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM
If you need the gauges, do like shotgun mentioned and get the splitter. If you don't need them then just leave the programmer unplugged and stored safely in the truck somewhere.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious about what it is exactly the black box monitors? And to what extent..... hmmm.

Lets assume for a moment that they are monitering speed only...... Seeing as how you have the tuner already, what if you set up the programmer to have a smaller tire option in its settings, and have PHP, (or whoever), adjust the shift points in the trans to compensate for the difference. This way, the trucks speedo shows you going slower than you actually are, and thus, tricking the box. I'm assuming that if the tuner could somehow play with the shift points, they could offset the wrong info being fed to the speed sensor?

I'm just fishing. I hate any form of big brother watching, or Uncle Sam, or anyone else. There has to be a way around the system.

Of course, you could just obey the rules and laws. But where's the fun in that?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Curious about what it is exactly the black box monitors? And to what extent..... hmmm.

Lets assume for a moment that they are monitering speed only...... Seeing as how you have the tuner already, what if you set up the programmer to have a smaller tire option in its settings, and have PHP, (or whoever), adjust the shift points in the trans to compensate for the difference. This way, the trucks speedo shows you going slower than you actually are, and thus, tricking the box. I'm assuming that if the tuner could somehow play with the shift points, they could offset the wrong info being fed to the speed sensor?

I'm just fishing. I hate any form of big brother watching, or Uncle Sam, or anyone else. There has to be a way around the system.

Of course, you could just obey the rules and laws. But where's the fun in that?
It only monitors trip distance and "hard stops". They say it also monitors speed but it doesn't affect rates.

I'll look into the splitter. Seems like a much better idea compared to not using my $400 programmer.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Get the splitter and make sure the wires are not run together....keep them seperated...

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Black box, what? I assume you've been forced to this insurance company because you've been tabooed because of accidents or faults... Or is there really a company out there that can actually sell insurance while minding YOUR business

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I wasn't forced to install it, but my rates go down significantly if I do.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
the insurance company he is referring to is progressive and the black box he is installing is a monitor which is part of their snapshot discount program.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

For those who haven't heard about the program...

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snap...-it-works.aspx

Quick Reply: Progressive Black Boxes