Does adding a Tuner Led to Futher Problems(Your take)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does adding a Tuner Led to Futher Problems(Your take)

Basically what Im asking here is. Ive read and read both good and bad post on here about tuners every make and model. They all have their goods and bads. But my question is If it was YOUR truck and you have NO MAJOR problems to this DATE would YOU put a CUSTOM TUNER on YOUR TRUCK? (I know every truck is different) I just feel like from what ive read that most of our problems begin or intend to start after we start running them with tuners. I also believe that it is just what I call the law of natural.(If its gonna happen its just gonna happen regardless) or its just one's luck.?? Correct me if I'm wrong. Im just really debating what I should do. My truck is good gets from a to b. But at the same time My truck is gonna have to last me a good another 4 yrs or 50k. I believe in the dont fix something that isnt broke motto. But at the same time Yalls post about a difference in night and day after the tuners is hitting me in the gut.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the SCT software and make my own program changes. I've probably flashed my truck 50 times in the last two years for changes I've made to the program. I doubt anyone else here has done that many flashes unless they change from one custom tune to another on a frequent basis. I've never had an issue. I have read posts from users with problems, and they are sometimes the fault of the programmer, but most times are user error.

If you keep a few basics in mind, you will not have any problems.
1. Turn off all vehicle electronics before loading a tune - Radio, air condition, headlights and close the doors (cab and bed lights); don't activate window motors or open doors during a flash session.
2. Follow the commands on the programmer and take precautions to prevent unplugging the unit while doing a flash (this can have really bad consequences).
3. While it may be a PIA to flash the truck back to stock, do it anytime you bring your truck into the dealer for service. If the dealer flashes your truck with a new calibration, your tuner will no longer recognize the PCM and you'll have to send the programmer to SCT to get it unlocked... for a fee.
4. Never flash your truck if you think you're starting to have battery issues. Losing power in the middle of a flash is not a good thing either.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't have said it better Windsor.

I've had my Gryphon CTS for almost a year and had absolutely no issues.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Windsor has a good post.
I'll add that many people mess with things they aren't supposed to and screw stuff up themselves from incomplete understanding (some will then come and start save me threads). I would not consider that the programmer's fault.

I've had a gryphon programmer since I had put about two thousand miles on my truck. It has proven to be a very good tool with its alerts, gauges and code reader along with improved performance.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I used a professionally tuned SCT XCal2 on my Explorer for years (around 100k miles). It performed much better than stock and never had any tune related problems.

I really want to get a tuner for this FX4, but don't want any warranty issues. After the warranty expires, the mods will start.

Last edited by Mike FX4; 09-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Ran the canned Edge tunes for about 31,000 and then custom tunes for about 72,000 miles. I can't remember but one or two problems with a tuner that were not operator error. I don't think there is a single instance over the 5 or so years where damage was caused by a tuner. If you flog a truck tuned or not tuned, things break. The tune did not break it. A tune by a knowledgeable writer is nothing but a positive for these trucks.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
A tune by a knowledgeable writer is nothing but a positive for these trucks.
What he said. What causes a LOT of problems is people who buy a device with canned tunes and then think they know more than the engineers and start jacking around with the settings without a clue about what they are doing.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
What he said. What causes a LOT of problems is people who buy a device with canned tunes and then think they know more than the engineers and start jacking around with the settings without a clue about what they are doing.
X2!...and what Windsor posted.....

Old 09-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I've seen alot of people who haven't had problems on the forums but alot of people around where I live have only had troubles with programmers, including myself. I ran a programmer for exactly 44 days. An EDGE CTS PROGRAMMER. Brand new from the factory. I never had a problem before I used it AT ALL. Exactly 44 days after I had the programmer my tranmission started slipping. My truck had been used to drive to work and back. I loved the fuel economy and the availability to view any kind of diagnostics on my truck. I used the truck in economy mode on a daily bases, (EDGE claims that it is better for your transmission) When I was on the job driving down the boulevard bring ice to my hotel I could hear a screaming sound coming from my transmission in a lower gear. It did not sound good at all. In fact I feared the worst. Later that day I filled up the gas tank, took my father for a ride and the transmission failed. $2700.00 later Ford rebuilt my transmission. My programmer is still sitting in the box. Not to mention the $732.00 that I spent on my programmer. I don't understand how a programmer can ruin something so quick, it's amazing. Sadly enough I'm not the only person to have these troubles. A friend with the same truck, same year, same amount of milage had the same problem. Edge has a 30 day warranty on all of their products, their product costed me around ($3432.00) Not including the little expenses that it costed me to get my truck back Tow truck, Gas, etc. I'm not saying that you will go through the same experience but take into consideration that leaving a truck stock will save you the most money in the long run. It sure is nice having the options of tuning anything and everything but it comes at a cost.

Good luck,
Trevor

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Doinwrkinthedrt
I've seen alot of people who haven't had problems on the forums but alot of people around where I live have only had troubles with programmers, including myself. I ran a programmer for exactly 44 days. An EDGE CTS PROGRAMMER. Brand new from the factory. I never had a problem before I used it AT ALL. Exactly 44 days after I had the programmer my tranmission started slipping. My truck had been used to drive to work and back. I loved the fuel economy and the availability to view any kind of diagnostics on my truck. I used the truck in economy mode on a daily bases, (EDGE claims that it is better for your transmission) When I was on the job driving down the boulevard bring ice to my hotel I could hear a screaming sound coming from my transmission in a lower gear. It did not sound good at all. In fact I feared the worst. Later that day I filled up the gas tank, took my father for a ride and the transmission failed. $2700.00 later Ford rebuilt my transmission. My programmer is still sitting in the box. Not to mention the $732.00 that I spent on my programmer. I don't understand how a programmer can ruin something so quick, it's amazing. Sadly enough I'm not the only person to have these troubles. A friend with the same truck, same year, same amount of milage had the same problem. Edge has a 30 day warranty on all of their products, their product costed me around ($3432.00) Not including the little expenses that it costed me to get my truck back Tow truck, Gas, etc. I'm not saying that you will go through the same experience but take into consideration that leaving a truck stock will save you the most money in the long run. It sure is nice having the options of tuning anything and everything but it comes at a cost.

Good luck,
Trevor
I suspect your transmission would have failed, even without a tuner. I do not see how a tuner that removes slippage from shifts(slippage that causes wear) can hurt, unless you start increasing the firmness too much and running it hard. My transmission still shifts great and the truck runs great after 103,000 miles with a tuner. I am sorry you had the problems and expense, but just do not see how a well written tune could cause it.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:42 AM
I installed a Gryphon monochrome on my truck and within a couple of days the check engine light had come on and I was throwing a code (P0506). I cleared the code and it came back (idle air rpm lower than expected). However it wasnt the programmer that caused the problem. The problem was there already and the programmer let me know about it, whereas the factory PCM had learned to compensate enough to get by. I cleaned the throttle body and MAF to remedy the problem that the PROGRAMMER had recognized, now all is well. The truck runs and idles much better than before when the original PCM was "compensating" for the problem. Besides the added fuel economy (about 2mpg so far) and the better performance this issue now being solved thanks to the programmer is worth what I paid for it. Imagine what a dealer would have charged to diagnose and take care of that problem. In my opinion its a great investment for you're truck if you use it correctly and responsibly.

Last edited by ranger332; 09-04-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 AM
I think for the most part it is user error people mess with the setting too much and wreck things and blame it on the tuner... I have a gryphon on my truck and love it added more power and mpg and made it more driveable. I think it also depends on how the truck is driven really hard than it is gonna be prone to breakage whether it has a tuner or not... We ran tuners in our fleet trucks at work and they have 100,000's of miles on them with no problems...

Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 AM
I have a tuner, have done a little of my own work on it, and after 12K of hard miles(most shifts I do around 5800RPMs) the truck still runs fine. I do a lot of hard shifts, tow vehicles, and hauled a few trees(big ones) with my truck, and it still runs great. I wouldn't wait to buy a second tuner if my first one broke somehow.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Smile

I use a Superchips FP 1865, it's strictly "canned tunes", I run the 87 tune. Shifts firmer faster, better throttle response, better power meaning less throttle, and better mileage. It's all good after a year and a half.

Canned tunes are a little more "conservative" than custom tunes I guess, there might be a few more pomies there hidden some place but I'm extremely pleased and have less than 350 in it. I update it often.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:08 AM
I am of the opinion that if programmers were breaking vehicles, the companies making them would not be able to stay in business. Whenever I've heard somebody say "My programmer messed up my truck" it is usually followed with "I guess I should have left the factory settings alone"

Quick Reply: Does adding a Tuner Led to Futher Problems(Your take)