Surprise...2001 models=no speedo recalibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprise...2001 models=no speedo recalibration

Well,
After changing to 4.10 gears from 3.55, it looks like the hardest part of the whole thing will be getting the speedometer recalibrated. In fact, for the 2001 models, due to the new computer set-up, nobody can recalibrate for 4.10's (or taller tires), not Ford nor any aftermarket vendors (yet).

After talking to Mike, he says that a tool will be available in 3 to 6 months, but that some R&D work is still required.

By the way Mike, enjoyed our conversation this afternoon. Thanks to educating me on the speedometer recalibration saga and the other interesting topics we discussed. All I can say is that I anxiously await the new scan tool that you guys are developing and hope it is closer to three months than six months.
GDG

Old 07-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi GoDogGo,

I enjoyed speaking with you as well.

With regards to what we said regarding it being a few months, we're referring to the release of our Microtuner for the Fords, which has been in R&D for quite some time now. We may well be able to do that speedo calibration on your 2001 for you before then, we'll just have to see how that goes.

Just about everybody in the industry is working on that right now, some via "4-bank" chips, and some with sophisticated programming devices like we're making for the upcoming changes Ford is making to their newest ECU's, and so that may be able to be done prior to release of the MicroTuner, time will tell, as always. It's a matter of addressibility, as we discussed, and for the 2001's Ford put those functions in another "bank" that current chip technology cannot address, simply because it's never been needed in all these years, we could do all the tuning needed in a single bank. That is, until they made this last change. It's always an ongoing game of hide & seek, so to speak.

We just recently made a minor revolution in tuning in the newest GM vehicles with our new version of the MicroTuner. For those vehicles, we no longer need to know the computer code. No, we haven't gone "generic" like Hypertech, Jet, etc., we're still code-specific. We've built in all of the various codes into the MicroTuner, so when connected, the MicroTuner automatically reads the computer to determine it's software revision, and then automatically uploads the corresponding matching performance program. So it's still a performance program made for that individual vehicle's exact software revision in it's ECU.

And on we go.............

Old 07-19-2001, 08:31 PM
Banned For
Violating Vendor Rules
GodogGo,
With DiabloSports new 4-Bank chip, they are able to correct your speedometer and odometer to read corrrectly. You wont have to worry about running up the miles on your odometer. They've had this available for a while now. Might want to check that out.

Old 07-20-2001, 10:03 PM
Hi fastsvtss,
Thanks for the info. Are you sure that it works on the 2001 models? As I understand, the 2001's underwent a computer redesign from 2000 and all the tool that worked previously don't work now.
GDG

Old 07-22-2001, 09:13 PM
Banned For
Violating Vendor Rules
GoDogGo,
Yeah, quite sure but it needs to be done with their 4-Bank chip. Their 1-Bank chip will not solve the problem.
With a call to Superchips you'll find out for yourself why they can't do it. Their tech guys say that the changes that need to be made in the computer program is in another part (bank) of the program that their chip doesn't address.
Superchips has been aware of this for some time now. As the industry "leader" (some may think) it's kinda strange why they don't have a solution yet. I think 3-6 months may be if they're lucky.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Surprise...2001 models=no speedo recalibration