need help from mike

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help from mike

hey, i have 2 superchips, and one has the connector coming out of it centered, and the other one is not. the one that is not wont program with the superchips software, and it says that its a v5 chip and it needs a v2 or3, i cant remember, im not at the guys house that programs them right now. My question is, why is this chip not taking a program, and what can be done about it. i wanted to run the r9 and the r9ss programs at the track tomm night, and i already have the other chip programmed for someone else. thanks

Last edited by L Strikes; 07-18-2001 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yea, and we called superchips and they said something about it being made before sep. or oct. of last year and that it has a fuse byte in it that will only let it take similar programs to the one that was origianally on it, and it was originally programmed for a 97 4.6 i think.

Old 07-19-2001, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi LStrikes,

What you have then is an older Superchip, it's been quite some time since those were made, well before last year, it's been years since those were made, meaning the "V5" module. They haven't been shipping for much longer than that, several years.

It cannot ever be anything but a V5 module, which means it can take only certain programs, limited to 32K in size, it cannot take the newer 56K programs. Nothing is going to change that, that module cannot ever be anything but a V5.

If it's a flash module, and all of them made in the last 4-5 years are the flash design, then it can be reprogrammed for any FoMoCo vehicle that uses a 32K size program, other than a Powerstroke diesel or a V-10 gas engine.

It does make pefect sense that it was originally for a 1997 4.6, as some of those codes back then were indeed just 32K in size. So were some of the 1997 5.4's, such as the code DJJ3, which is perhaps the single most common code for a 1997 5.4 F-150.

Sorry, but nothing is going to change that, it is what it is, an older module from years ago, designed for use on the style of programs that were used in these vehicles for that period of time.

Quick Reply: need help from mike