Mike, I HAVE A FEW ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, I HAVE A FEW ??????

Hey Mike.

i have a few questions. i can't decide on what to get. the hypertech power programer 3 or a super chip flip chip. heres are some of my pros and cons of this situation. i have put bigger tires on my truck and i was on the hypertech website. it said it would corect my speedometer and odometer if i have bigger tires.is this true. i also want to know what are some of the features the flip chip has that a PP3 doesn't have. i read another post about almost the same thing. i was also thinking of maybe getting both. would this work too. thanks, im really confused on what to get. thankyou

Old 07-23-2001, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 4rdpwr,

I understand, and it can be a confusing decision to make.

OK, I'll try to sort thru this for you a bit...................

The Hypertech Power Programmer can somtimes correct the speedometer & odometer as it should on these FoMoCo's, when the correction needed is within the rather limited range of tire sizes that are built into that program in the Ford computer; other times it doesn't work so well, either being ignored by the computer or sometimes applying those corrections in reverse, we've seen it work both ways.

They used to have that same thing happen in a number of their GM applications, where the speedo correction was completely backwards and increased the error rather than fixed it, and then later on they got that fairly well sorted out, so that now on most of those GM applications, that function works much better than it used to for those GM applications.

They still have a ways to go on some of these Ford speedo recals, so the honest answer is, it may very well do that correction for you accurately, or it may not, you really won't know until you try it. We know it's *supposed* to be able to do that, but sometimes it just doesn't work correctly. There is a certain *range* of tire sizes that can be corrected for within the Ford program, and if the tire size you want to use falls outside of that range, then the correction will in most cases just be ignored, and the Hypertech unit will not be capable of correcting it.

We are much further ahead on this in the 1999 & 2000 models, we can correct for any tire size, we are not limited by the "range" that limits others in this regard.

The Superchip can correct your speedometer & odometer & shift points as well for just about any size tire you can throw on there, whether that size is within the range limitation of the Ford program or not.

In my opinion 4rdpwr, it all gets down to a matter of the quality of the actual powertrain program itself, and how well the vehcle responsd to those changes; it's really not a matter of what type of device you use to get that program into your computer, if you get my drift. It's the quality of the *program* that counts, not the type of device used to deliver that program.

That being the case, if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to use the Superchip, simply because you will get a much better powertrain program that will be made for your specific vehicle. You'll gain more power from the Superchip than from the Hypertech unit, you'll have more power all the time at any throttle position, and you'll have a powertrain program that was custom-made for your specific vehicle, and that is something you cannot get from Hypertech.

With Hypertech, they make one program for all similar vehicles, I.E., one program for all 1998 4.6 automatic F-150's, or one program for all 5.4 2000 F-150's, etc.

We don't do things like that, we make hundreds of different programs for each of those vehicles, just for each model year alone! That is the only way to properly optimize the powertrain programming, and that's why we do it like that.

The point being, it's basicially the difference of getting a "generic" program that has been compromised to run on all similar vehicles, with is what you get with the Hypertech, or one that was made specifically for *your* vehicle, which is what you get with the Superchip.

As far as "features", there really isn't much difference there, other than with the Flip Chip we'll make it custom for your vehicle, whereas with the Hypertech you can go buy that off the shelf anywhere.

The Superchip does all that the Hypertech program does and much more, it simply works better.

The Hypertech device allows you to (when it works correctly) plug in your tire size, if it's within the limited range of correction allowed in the Ford program, and have your correction.

If it were me, I'd want the Flip Chip set up with the speedo correction on both sides, and set up with an 87 & 92 octane combination for ultimate flexibility.

OK, so now you know what *I* personally think, but you still have to make that decision for yourself. Ultimately, you have to gather the information you feel you need to help you make that decision, and then take the plunge.

What I can tell you is that if Hypertech had something that made it superior to the Superchip, that is what we would be selling instead, as we don't really care much about the name on the outside, we care about the quality of the powertrain program *inside*, as that is what your vehicle runs on.

Anything more I could say t this point would really only be more of the same, by now you know how we feel about the Superchip, so if you would like to go over this in more detail, you might want to give us a call, and talk about this at length, so you can give it some thought before making your decision. We're happy to go over all of that with you, if you'd like to be able to speak with someone to go thru all the various considerations with you. that would probably be the best suggestion I could give you, if you'd like to give us a call, we'll be happy to take the time to go thru all of this with you.

I hope this info helped,

Old 07-23-2001, 04:04 PM
OK, let see if i got all this. A Superchip that i order will be custom made for my truck.so lets say, i have a 4.6 5 speed, with 285 tires. the superchip would be made for my exact setup .

And as far as installing. its pretty basic and it come with directions. and does take long. if all tis is what i am expecting. then i think i wold be going with a super chip.

Thanks. you might have just helped me make up my mind

Old 07-23-2001, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 4rdpwr,

Basically, in answer to what we've been discussing in this thread yes, as we've been discussing the Flip Chip. The Flip Chip's price includes the cost of any custom programming needed at time of purchase.

The single-program Superchip does not include custom programming in it's cost, though of course it's still made for each specific vehicle, to precisely match it's computer code, always, so you never get a "generic" program like you do with Hypertech, Jet, etc. So when anyone places an order for any type of Superchip, they always have to provide what we refer to as their vehicle's "computer code", so the program can be made for that specific vehicle.

When you want speedo corrections or any other kind of custom programming, like for superchargers, ported heads, etc., the way to do that most cost-effectively is in the Flip Chip, which is what you and I have been discussing, which is the 2-program type of Superchip that has the toggle switch that allows you to switch between the 2 programs.

For someone using the single-program Superchip, their least expensive product, there is a custom programming fee if someone wants custom programming for speedo changes or major mechanical modifications, so the Flip Chip is always the way to go anytime you need or want anything custom.

I don't mean to confuse you here, as any Superchip is going to be programmed for each specific vehicle, to match it's computer code; that to us isn't what we refer to as "custom", though compared to say, Hypertech or Jet, it *would* be considered custom, since theirs are "generic" (I.E., one program for each '98 4.6 automatic F-150), as we discussed previously.

For the purposes of our discussion here, by "custom" I mean when we're doing something like recalibrating your speedometer for your exact tire size and/or gear ratio change, or tuning for say, a supercharger, nitrous oxide, etc. That is what we mean when we say "custom", as we're already tuning each vehicle according to it's exact software revison that as loaded into it's computer from the factory.

It takes a little bit longer to install the Superchip than using that Hypertech piece, about 30-45 minutes or so for the installation for most that are doing it for the first time. then once you've ionstalled it that first time, you can easily remove or replace it in just a minute or two at any point in the future.

I think that's the most correct response to your response I can give you, and I hope that hasn't confused you, I almost confused myself. The bottom line is, for your situation, you do have the correct understanding about the Flip Chip.

Old 07-23-2001, 11:52 PM
OK Mike, i have made my decision. i want to go with the flipchip. now where do i go to order one. and what exactly are you going to need from me when i order it. i am on vacation right at this moment. so i just want to get all the info i need before i order so when i get home i can get my pay check. and use my momys credit card, not to mention, im only 17. but thats ok. hehe. ok thanks for the help. i just can't wait to order it, and get it in. oh yeah,

WILL IT HELP MY GAS MILEAGE.

Old 07-25-2001, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 4rdpwr,

With regards to gas mileage results, many people do see a small improvement in gas mileage with the Superchip, but it's usually only when they can keep their foot out of the throttle, so to speak. This usually happens primarily when cruising at a steady speed. It's merely a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle as part of our performance tuning for premium gas, so we can't *guarantee* mileage gains like we can guarantee the performance improvements. Your mileage results will depend on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, as well as the quality of fuel being used. If you drive it hard, you won't see any mileage gains, of course, but I'm sure you already know that.

To place your order, you can either give us a call at our number listed below, or you can just use our online ordering system, and there is a link just below in our signature line that will take you directly to that ordering system.

We'll need to know your vehicle's computer code, and that is easy to find. Just go over to the passenger side of the vehicle, and open your front passenger door. Then look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges, and there you will see a sticker that has 3 letters followed by 1 number on it, and that is your vehicle's computer code.

Have fun & we'll talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Mike, I HAVE A FEW ??????