Mike ? about Superchip flipchip and shift points

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike ? about Superchip flipchip and shift points

As I understand it your superchips can correct speedometer/odometer error and the shift points when you move to a larger tire, correct?

Now here is my situtation and what I would like to do or you can reccomend the best way to handle this.
I recently moved up from a 255/70/16 tire to a 285/75/16 on my 97 F150 4.6L 4X4 and have experiecened some power loss as normal with larger tires. The actual power loss is partially ok with me. What I do not like is when I am on the interstate running about 70-75 and come to even a slight incline the tranny likes to shift out of OD and sometimes even drops a gear and takes off like a bat out of he##. Preivous to the tire swap the tranny would stay in OD about 90-95% of the time. From my observations and research I estimate I have lost somewhere around 184 RPM's. Before with stock tires and 3.55 gears at 70-75 MPh I would be holding near 2100-2300 RPM. Now with the bigger tire at 75 MPH I am at about 1990 RPMS or so. I know the best choice would be to swap gears but that would be very costly as I would need to change the front as well. Would a superchip be able to modify the shift points and/or RPM's (say 200-300 RPM's) to keep the truck in that powerband to keep the OD locked in? If so I will definetly buy one of your flipchips setup this way on both the 87 and 93 sides. Thank you for all your help, you are a major asset to this board. You can feel free to email at thomaswright5714@hotmail.com to discuss this more or get my phone #. I would like to have this as soon as possible as I about out of time on my backup plan to switch to a smaller tire. Thanks again.

Last edited by KYFordFreak; 07-24-2001 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:22 AM
hey KYFREAK, i think me and you are in the same situation. we are both looking for somthin in the same range. except i have a 5 speed and i just keep mine in OD , but when im going at an incline. m engien just starts luging and i slow done. i want to be able to keep tin OD. just as you want to. so ill be checkin up on your post. and if you get one. then we can sorta help each other out on istalling it. cause i know youll probably have your in before i do, cause i spend money like a 17 year old do to the fact that i am one.

Old 07-24-2001, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi KYFordFreak,

OK, this is something that is very common when installing taller tires, as you know, they have effectively reduced your torque multiplication, which would take a gear ratio change to restore the engine back to turning the same number of rpms that it did with the original size tires.

It sounds like the change you did wasn't a really big one, so you can probably get by with just using the Superchip, as it will increase the amount of torque available at any throttle position, which will help it to downshift less.

What you'll find is that most places it will be able to stay in Overdrive with the Superchip, though there will still be some grades that are steep enough to still cause it to need to downshift. It's all a matter of the amount of torque availalbe at that point; if there is enough, the engine can satisfy throttle demand or cruise control setting without downshifting; if there isn't enough torque, usually that is due to going up a grade, hill, mountain, etc., then you will still experience the occasional downshift.

The bottom line is that this will be imp[roved by the Superhicp, thanks to th efact that it does increase torque at any rpm from 1000 rpm on up, and at any throttle position above idle; it's the most cost-effective modification to do to these vehicles, so yes, I would start with the Superchip, and you may find that is all you need to get your performance up to where it's acceptable for you.

Keep in mind that we cannot *guarantee* that it's never goin to downshift again, nothing short of a supercharger *and* a gear ratio change can come close to doing that, but the Superchip will be a definate improvement, that much you can count on.

I don't think you'll need to go back to the smaller tires again, that's a pretty radical step, and I'mn sure we can help you to avoid having to do that.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call & I'll be happy to go over this at length with you.

To place your order for the Superchip or the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip set up with the 87 & 92+ octane combo like you mentioned, you can either give us a call or you can just use our online ordering system, whichever you prefer. The link just below in my signature line will take you right to that online system.

Old 07-24-2001, 11:52 PM
4RDPWR
I know how you feel being young and not always having money. Heck i am only 20 myself. I guess if I buy this ship I willl not be spending the 300 dollars I am getting back in the Bush tax refund thing. I had planned to use it on something else. I wish I still had my computer job, by now I could be like the rest of the people on this board and have every mod know to man on my truck (fibbing just a tad there). Hang in there, I will let you know what I decided to do. Maybe it would be worth both our time just to go ahead with the gear swap but heck I just can't justify another 500-1000 for gears. IMO gears are a radical step that can give you very bad headaches with their problems sometimes.

Mike
I am going to try and call you tommorrow sometime after 3 EST. I want to know more about your product before I invest my money.
As you said nothing short of gears or maybe a supercharger will net me enogh torque to completly solve my problem. I am just trying to find a way to make it more driveable and stay within a reasonable amount of money. Thanks for your help, talk to ya later.

Old 07-25-2001, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi KYFordFreak,

Sure, we'll be happy to go over anything you like, at length.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are more of us here who have to really scrounge for mods money than there are those who can just buy anything they want, so you're not alone by any stretch of the inagination, many people right here are in your same situation.

Take your time, there's no rush, just do whatever makes you happiest & have fun!

Just so you'll know, while we're normally here Monday thru Friday form 10am to 7pm Eastern, this week we'll be closed on Friday the 27th while we're at the F-150 Online Rally in Norfolk, Virginia, and we'll be closing early on Thursday, probably around 5 pm or so, we haven't decided just yet.

Talk to you soon,

Quick Reply: Mike ? about Superchip flipchip and shift points