Towing weights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink For Mike - Chip towing weightrs

Morning Mike, got my chip for my crown vic and installed it yesterday, great idea with the screwdriver blade, worked fine, chip works great also, notice large difference in midrange, ran out of road at 115 andi the speedo was climbing steadily. Well satisified. Book says about 235 hp with the HP setup, and I never asked, but what increase do you suppose I got with the chip???
I also have a confession to make, my travel trailer did not weigh in at 8300#'s as I estimated, but right at 8100#'s. I weighed them this weekend to get some true numbers. My combined GVW is 14340 and 8100 on the trailer which is about right minus passengers in the truck. Gas milage is the pits though, 9.6, but in all fairness kinda hilly, but still towed in OD on flat highway.
Thanks for all your help, keep up the good work.
T.K.

Last edited by T.K. Devitt; 07-30-2001 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi T.K.!

Good to hear, we're glad everything is working out for you.

In terms of what you gained on that special-option hi-po Crown Vic you have there (what a nice car, by the way, I just checked a new one out closely this weekend while truck shopping), the maximum rated gains are 23 horsepower & 34 lbs./ft. of torque. In round numbers, you picked up about a 10% power gain on the Crown Vic with that Superchip.

Actually, to be able to get 9.6 mpg with 14,340 lbs. for that motor in your truck to have to move, and to be able to stay in Overdrive, even just on flat terrain, is nothing short of excellent, in my humble opinion. That is a *huge* load for that motor at that level of power in that truck. You were very close on that total trailer weight, you figured 8300 and it came in at 8100, pretty darned close!

Overall, it sounds like respectable results, congratulations!

Thanks for your post & have fun!

Quick Reply: Towing weights