Do I think any more?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I think any more?

After installing the superchip does the computer still go thru a learning curve or does the superchip eliminate that and it is strictly running on a written program?

Mike, the install when so easy! Cant believe how easy that worked. It was way cool, like the truck had been built for this option just didn't come with it. Even the flip switch, there is a metal prong below and to the right of the glove box with a predrilled hole that fits the switch perfectly.

Another satisfied customer!! Thanks, Mike.

Old 08-01-2001, 01:04 AM
LoCoScrew,
I'm interested in how it works after a few weeks of driving. I'm considering one also (flip chip) to be able to run on both fuels. More interested in better shifting characteristics in the tranny. Keep us posted. I'll be on the lookout for you. I'm in Cypress also (Barker Cypress and Jarvis).
Take care.

Old 08-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Strongwind,
I will let you know how it works out. I'm running Tex 93 right now but my next tankfull I'm going to go to 87 to see the difference. I'll let you know what I find out. Yea we're real close, I'm in Fairfeild.

Old 08-01-2001, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi LocoScrew,

That's a beautiful Super Crew you have there! It looks very loaded & nice add-ons as well, very nice indeed.

My wife and I went F-150 shopping this past weekend & she got a Lariat that's pretty, I mention that only because in our shopping and going thru every F-150 they had on the lot, there are shades and grades of F-150's. We saw some "strippers" (low-dollar models) that just happened to have a very attractive paint color/scheme/configuration, and we saw some Lariats (top line models) that I wouldn't want to be seen near, let alone in, and everything in between. It was quite an education, even with as many as we've seen here among our customers, there's just no substitute for taking hours and hours and picking out "the one", if you get my drift. Yours seems to stand out too, very nicely, even in a picture, I'm sure it's even prettier in real life, pictures never do justice. Did you take a long time picking it out, or did it just kinda present itself to you pretty quickly? The one we got for my wife stood out right away, but we still looked at every other F-150 they had, even with the end ofteh model year, they still had *many* of them at our dealership, nice selection, so it took us most of the day to decide on the one that stood out at first.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Superchip!

There are a few neat places for that switch, we like the glove box location, as well as where you mentioned for locating the toggle switch to change programs. It looks just like you said, like it was made to go there but just wasn't installed from the factory.

Have fun enjoying that beautiful Super Crew!

Old 08-01-2001, 10:08 PM
Mike,
You know the great thing about these trucks is they have so much or little potential ( all depending on your taste ). I'm glad to hear that your wife found something that she likes as well as wants. For me, I craved buying a truck again for many years. I had traded the Supra me and the wife had for the Explorer because I had two young boys and needed to be a little more practical. I think it is great that the manufacturers caught up with the public needs and wants. We now have a four door Pontiac GTP (love the supercharger) and the Four door F150. I needed to be practical as well as really enjoy spending that kind of money driving something I would enjoy for a long time. I average owning a vehicle for about 8 years at a time.
When it came to picking the Supercrew I tried to vision what all I wanted to do with it and how it would look when I'm done. The white appealed to my taste because it is such a large truck and the darker ones the color seemed to dominate the look and take away from what I wanted to achieve overall. I have tried to offset the white with quite alot, chrome, black, and gold. I don't really care for something goddy but the wife says I'm pushing the limits. Really the only thing left is a bed roll cover and ok I'm confessing here, I think I might want a lund visor cover painted white. Yes I did spend alot of time mentally walking thru what I wanted to have and what changes I would make. I really prefer black vehicles, I love the way they shine when well polished ( supra and explorer were both black ). But black, to me, just seemed to much on this large of a truck and what I wanted to do.
Summarized, because I keep a ride for so long I go into it with a plan and make sure I get what I want, I do not settle for what I can get. If it feels wrong I wait. I have absolutely no regrets!

One last thing I would like to go back to my original question, does the computer still have a learning curve after installing the chip?

Let the wife know that I hope she enjoys her new ride as much as she deserves to. It is alot of money, make it what you want.

Old 08-02-2001, 12:14 AM
LocoScrew,

I am sure Mike will respond to this as well, however, I can attest to the fact that the Superchip does not affect the computers "learning" cycle. When I put the Superchip in, I noticed a nice improvement but I experienced a much more noticible improvement once I had about 200-300 miles on it.

Additionally, you will notice that your truck will still adapt to your driving styles just as it always did (eg. drive it hard and your truck will have maximum responsiveness, drive it conservatively and your truck will not be as responsive but you will notice better gas mileage...).

Good luck with your chip -- it is great!!

Hope this helped.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI LoCoScrew,

Thanks very much for your detailed & informative response, my wife & I both enjoyed it, and identified with a *lot* of what you said. Perhaps it's a lot of what many of us think about when selecting which new vehicle to pick up for the next however many years. At any rate, we felt a lot of the same things, and that's what guided us to the truck we eventually selected for her.

I too, love a black vehicle when it's clean and polished but I sure don't like all the work it takes to *keep* them looking that way, and I know you know all about that.

The only black vehicles I've ever owned were a pair of new Lincoln Mark 8's, my wife and I felt that black was the best color for that particular car. And it was, they were both beautiful cars, but it was also very hard to keep looking nice, so I have to say, I doubt I'll do that again, even as much as I drool over a nice-looking black vehicle.

I forget what color her truck is called, it looks like a light metalflake gold type of color, very attractive and doesn't show dirt very much, so I think it should work well. It ought to, her 2001 Lariant made my 2001 Lightning look cheap by comparison! Lucky thing that Ford has a $2000 rebate plus 3.9% financing on the new 2001's right now; that along with our A-plan pricing dropped $8,000 off the sticker of her Lariat, and dropped my Lightning a *bunch* as well, making it affordable enough to do. All in all, it was a nice deal, as Ford made the last 7 payments on my wife's leased truck, so we said what the heck, since Ford will make our last 7 payments, then give us $8K off and 3.9% financing on top of all that, sure, we'll take 2!

We're very happy right now, and have a pair of new project F-150's that we're going to have a lot of fun documenting all the mods on for everyone.

With regards to the "re-learn" cycle, yes, you'll go thru that anytime that you change the ECU's program or anytime that you interrupt power to the ECU for long enough, you'll go thru the re-learn cycle and the adaptive strategy adjustments again from scratch. We recommend that anytime you install the Superchip.

As long as you cleared the ECU properly after installing the Superchip, you'll get most of what it does pretty quickly, about 80% or so, and then the rest will come in gradually, so that by the time you have 350-500 miles on it, it will be doing everything it can, which is about a 10%-12% power gain. Most people notice, especially with the newest vehicles, that the vehicle feels stronger as you accumulate that first 500 miles or so after installing the Superchip.

Have fun & enjoy that beautiful new truck of yours!