Chip Question for Mike

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip Question for Mike

Mike,

I have come to the point that I want a SuperChip and have a few questions.

I want the flip chip with one setting for regular 87 octane. With this setting is it possible to have the lower octane setting and just improve shifting and throttle response. I'm really just looking to improve the streetability on this setting. The truck weighs 6400lbs and has a 3.55LS rear, it's kind of a dog in town.

The other setting i want as a "race" setting running premium fuel. I would live to go as far as running race fuel but its a 30mi drive just to find. What would you recommend for this setting and what kind of improvements can I expect (HP, shifting, ect.)

Here are the specs on my truck:

1996 F-150 XLT
5.0 with mass air
4R70W Transmission
3.55 LS Rear
6400lbs Weight

Modifications:
K&N FIPK
Heddman Hedders 1-1/2" mains to 3" high flow cat out through Gibson Super Truck

Also, are there any other modifications that you can recommend to help improve performance? Sorry for the long post, I forgot your e-mail address. If you want to reply directly to me, my e-mail is Fadex51@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited by Fadex; 08-02-2001 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fadex (Brad),

Ahh, let me guess........is this the gentleman that emailed me earlier, late yesterday or early today, that was asking me to repeat my previous response to a question online?

I'm betting this is the one, as he was named "Brad" as well, and if so, sure, no problem! We had originally responded to this particular question, and as you mentioned in email, I think that our response got dropped off when Steve the Webmaster was having to sort thru all of those problems, it must have been a nightmare for poor Steve!

At any rate, when you emailed me, I had no idea as to just what question you were talking about, as we get so many and I don't know whose real name coincides with which screen name here on F-150 Online most of the time, and you didn't repeat the question in your email; which is why I responded to you saying that it would help to know what the original question was, or something to that effect, in my response to you. It sure sounds like this must be the same post, so we'll get right to the answer for you!

OK...........

The answer is, yes, we already have such a combination with a lot of people already using it, and it's been available for some time now.

It's our 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, and we set it up with a pair of programs that are identical *except* for the octane level that the engine is tuned for, so you get all the other benefits all the time, no matter which program you use, and then when you want maximum power, you fill it up with premium and just flip the attached switch to change programs!

On one side, it's tuned for 87 octane, and on the other side, it's for 92 or higher octane pump premium gas, and that will provide an elegant solution for exactly what you want.

To place your order, you can either give us a call at our number listed below, or you can just use our online system, and the link just below in my signature line will take you right to our online ordering system.

One thing to remember is that we'll need to know your vehicle's computer code, and that is easy to find, here are a couple of places to look for it:

1.) Since you have a 1996 model, open your Driver's door, and then look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges, and there you should see a white sticker that has 3 letters and 1 number on it, like JOG1, HUG2, etc., there are many different codes. (We're not talking about the sticker on the *back* of the Driver's door that says "calibration" on it, that isn't what we need.

If you don't see that sticker, then you can simply pull off the Driver's kick panel, and the computer will be right behind it, it looks like an aluminum box, rectangular in shape. It will have 1 or 2 code stickers on it, and you can always find the code that way, if the door frame sticker is gone.

With regards to other modifications, once you have the Superchip, you will at that point have the Top 3 best bang-for-the-buck mods (plus your headers!), which are, in order:

1.) Optimizing your powertrain programming with the Superchip.

2.) Reduce the restriction in the air intake tract using an airbox elimination kit.

3.) Reduce the restriction on the exhaust side using a good cat-back exhaust system.

OK, from there, next up would be installing a 3-piece set of underdrive pulleys, then converting over to electric cooling fans.

At that point, your performance is going to be pretty darned good for that heavy vehicle configuration, and it's at about that point that you'll start having to pay much more to get each additional horsepower. Since you have the famous 5.0 engine, there are *always* more things you can do to it (aftermarket ported cylinder heads, camshaft changes, more ratio offset on the rocker arms to increase valve lift even further, etc.), it's just a matter of what you're willing to spend to get your performance increased further, of course, that's the same line we must all "cross".

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call & we'll be happy to go over anything you 'd like, ok?

Have fun & talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Chip Question for Mike