Installed Flipchip and towed with it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Flipchip and towed with it!

I thought I would add my feedback from using the Superchip. I ordered the 87/92 flipchip and had it overnighted to me last Thursday. I am very impressed with Mike with regards to his knowledge and people skills.

I ran a tank of 87 first and immediately I noticed the improvement! The shifting was much "sportier" in that it allows the engine to be used as it should by not changing gears until higher RPMs. The shifting was definately tighter too.

Then I drove to Vancouver B.C. on the 87 gas. Flawless. Coming back I ran 92 gas and the power improvement is quite amazing! I have the 5.4L V8 Automatic SC and I tow a 6000+ Travel Trailer. The throttle response is much improved.

Opinion: I am satsified with the chip. It does exactly what it is advertised to do. Improving computer response is one of the best things you can do with these newer trucks.

Old 08-08-2001, 06:06 PM
Peter1,
Good feedback. I'm considering the flipchip also.
Didn't see your signature.
Do you have any other mods (intake/exhaust)? Curious if your truck is stock or if you have anything else that may enhance the chip.
Thx.

Old 08-08-2001, 06:14 PM
Sorry, signature is not working right for some reason. I have a 2001 F-150 supercab 5.4L 4x2.

Perf Mods:
replaced muffler w/ Flowmaster 50 series.
Did the K&N airbox mod. on this site. (technical section)
Superchip Flip-Chip
Removed silencer elbow in plastic throttle body.
Using Amsoil 5W-20 and Amsoil filter.

Old 08-09-2001, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Peter1,

Thanks for your post, & glad to hear you're enjoying your Flip Chip.

It's funny, most of our customers are still using the single-program Superchip, but more and more are going for the added flexibility of the Flip Chip. We usually use the single-program Superchip in our vehicles here at Performance, as we don't care to ever run them on anything less than the best premium gas that money can buy for best performance & mileage. (That's easy for us to say, heck, we're a *performance* company!)

As of last week however, I'm driving a blower-motor vehicle again, so now I've switched over to using the Flip Chip myself.

I was delighted to hear your results when towing that big load, 3 tons of weight out back is a bunch, excellent!

Have fun,

Old 08-11-2001, 01:01 PM
I recently towed my 19 ft Center console for the first time since installing the chip. While I realize it's not a "heavy" load like a travel trailer, I was impressed with the ease of towing, and the acceleration. The boat was somewhat of a strain for my 89 5.0 , but with the 5.4 and the chip, it's like it wasn't even there, and I averaged almost 15 mpg on a 300 mile trip. I was also able to tow it in overdrive with no "hunting" for the right gear, which I have never been able to do with the 5.0. I love my chip!!

Old 08-13-2001, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Snyper,

Very common result & thanks for your post!

A 19 foot trailer isn't exactly the lightest thing to tow either, and it's always nice to see more towing results, as that is a very common & typical application for our beloved F-150's, so people are always asking for those types of results.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Installed Flipchip and towed with it!