Android and SCT Tuning? It's finally available!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCT Franchi
Morning! Nrd10, you need two things to be able to tune your truck with it. Download the app from the Google Play, and then also need to purchase a SCT wireless dongle ( from a SCT dealer ) which plugs into the OBII port of the vehicle, and allows you to actually tune the vehicle using the SCT program on the Android.

I havan't had a chance to play with the Android version much yet but I do run the iTSX iphone tuner on my built 06 Mustang and it has a LOT of features and ****ionality, all which should be the same with the Android platform. Trust that helps! Let me know any questions, glad to help!
Thanks for the clarification. I will have to pick one of those SCT wireless dongle's up. After reading this thread I was up all night trying to figure out how it worked.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Hmm - does the FREE app contain tunes for all supported vehicles? I can't really see how that would work - or do you have to specify vehicle when buying the dongle - or does the phone download the correct tunes somehow from SCT?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Hmm - does the FREE app contain tunes for all supported vehicles? I can't really see how that would work - or do you have to specify vehicle when buying the dongle - or does the phone download the correct tunes somehow from SCT?
The phone app is just the controller and data output display via Bluetooth for the dongle.

The dongle is the device that has the canned tunes for the supported Ford vehicles and is the device that you'll hook up to the computer to load your custom tunes on....

It also looks like the dongle cannot be updated via the phone app through Bluetooth....only by connecting it to a computer.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor
You dont need to specify your year/engine when using the preloaded SCT tunes as the dongle will read your PCM when you plug it in and know which tune to select for your specific application. To physically update the dongle, yes you need to hook it up to a computer and use the SCT Updater program but it will be a rare case you need to do that, I make sure all my units are up to date on firmware before shipping out as well.

For a custom tune, since the Android has the 3 preloaded SCT tunes ( 87, 91 and 93 ) but can also hold up to 10 custom tunes, when you get a custom tune written, that's when you need to give whomever is writing the tune your PCM code, and any modifications and they build that into the tune itself.

For the preloaded tunes, you can check to see if your exactl year/engine is supported easily by going to www.sctflash.com, click on search by vehicle, enter your info, and see if a 4015 populates. If it does, click on it and will show the exact gains for your setup.

88R, I'll let you know about your vehicle setup once I get ahold of SCT.

Ask questions away! That's how one learns! :-)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 88racing
The dongle is the device that has the canned tunes for the supported Ford vehicles and is the device that you'll hook up to the computer to load your custom tunes on.....

Actually it's pretty neat how SCT set that up. You can plug the dongle into the car, and pull the custom tunes straight out of your email with your phone and load into the car. Which makes it immensely easier to swap tunes when not at home. I have upwards of 7-9 tunes I think for my Mustang so I just saved them all to a folder in my email, and whenever I want to swap, just plug the dongle in, connect bluetooth, and pull the tune out of my email direct. No need for a PC unless you need to physically update the firmware on the dongle which will be rare if ever a customer needs to do that.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SCT Franchi
Actually it's pretty neat how SCT set that up. You can plug the dongle into the car, and pull the custom tunes straight out of your email with your phone and load into the car. Which makes it immensely easier to swap tunes when not at home. I have upwards of 7-9 tunes I think for my Mustang so I just saved them all to a folder in my email, and whenever I want to swap, just plug the dongle in, connect bluetooth, and pull the tune out of my email direct. No need for a PC unless you need to physically update the firmware on the dongle which will be rare if ever a customer needs to do that.
So the phone can load a custom tune via Bluetooth onto the dongle.....that's cool

miss understood that when I was reading through the manual and faq's.....thanks for the correction...

Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor
For sure! I'm on hold with SCT again.....checking on your Sport Trac.... I WILL find the answer! lol

They must be getting hammered with calls about the Android cause normally it's normally like 3 min wait times and not 45 mins to hour long...

Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I know Franchi can't discuss pricing, but I did a bit of searching. It appears that the MSRP on this dongle is $469, and the cheapest I found is just under $400.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 PM

another question.....is the same dongle used for both the Apple app and the Android app???

Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Yes it is, dongle is the same for both iPhone and Android, just use the different app for whichever platform you use.

And shot you a PM on your Sport Trac, I was able to confirm today it is supported by the 4015.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Thank you

Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor
Not a problem, let me know any questions! Thanks!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Shipping my first batch of Android tuners out tomorrow, hopefully once people get them we can get some real world reviews posted up!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
So im confused, the app is free, how much is the plug to connect to my Bluetooth Android?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor
The app is free but you have to purchase the physical dongle which plugs into the OBII port. Shot you a PM, thanks!

Quick Reply: Android and SCT Tuning? It's finally available!