V-10 towing ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V-10 towing ?'s for Mike T.

Mike, I have been reading the posts for a while and have a few questions. I have a 99 F250sd 4x4 that I use as a daily driver,I also tow a 31 ft. fifth wheel. What I was wondering was would a chip benifit my application,also I have the Banks Trans command installed and love the way it shifts. Can a flip chip be programmed around the transcommand or do I have to remove it.One more question would I be asking for trouble if I installed a chip with the towing I do? Thanks, Eric

Last edited by fordv-10; 08-14-2001 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI Eric,

Some good questions!

For a fully detailed answer, it's best to just give us a quick call, as we can cover things in much more detail over the phone than we can here online, but let's briefly go over this a bit to get you some immediate info of course...............

As far as the benefit from using the Superchip, it's a matter of having more power available, better driveabiilty, and with an automatic transmission, you'll see longer service life of the bands & clutches, thanks to the reduced slippage in the Superchip programming. We remove the upshift & downshifts delays, etc. that induce slippage and slow down the powertrain's response.

You are doing what the vast majority of our customers are doing, and that is, towing. That is the #1 use of these Ford Super Duty trucks, for towing of some kind, whether it's big travel trailers like in your case, or a company hailing construction eequipment from site to site, etc.

With regards to using the Banks TrancCommand with the Superchip, this will depend on just how firm you want your shifts, there is no mechanical reason why you can't use both, it's just a matter of how firm the shifts will be. The Superchip will firm them up a bit more than what they are right now, so as long as you can tolerate a little bit more shift firmness, you can leave that unit in place and just use both.

If you do not want any firmer shifts than what you have now, you have the option of having us do a custom program or just not using the TransCommand unit, that is up to you. Me personally, I would want to try leaving the Transcommand unit in place and use them both, and see if that feels comfortable to you, and if so, then just enjoy it. And if not, then you can decide after running it for awhile and you've had enough time to properly evaluate the shift characteristics for your type of vehicle uses.

Since you are towing a 31 ft. 5th wheel, you'll need all the power & torque you can get, so the Superchip would be an excellent addition that will provide more power & torque at any throttle positon & rpm, from 1000 rpm on up. The maximum rated power gains on the V-10's depends on the model year, it ranges anywhere from a low of 27 horsepower and 44 lbs./ft. in the 275 hp V-10's found in the Ford vans, to as much as 32 horsepower (SAE Net) and 48 lbs./ft. opf torque in the newest V-10's in the F-series vehicles.

In round numbers, think of the Superchip as a 10%-12% power gainer, and that always helps, to have more power, especially increased torque, when towing.

No, you're not "asking for trouble" by installing a chip and towing, that's a perfectly normal application for your vehicle.

If you like, please feel free to give us a call, or shoot us an email, and we'll be happy to go over any of this in more detail with you, if you like.

To place your order, you can either give us a call at our number listed below, or you can use our F-150 Online Superchip ordering system. If you want the 2-program Flip Chip for your V-10, then you'll need to give us a call for that, as we do not have that listed in our online system here, the vast majority of our V-10 owners just use the single-program Superchip for the V-10. This is of course up to you!

Best of luck with your truck,

Old 08-15-2001, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,

Just a few more questions for ya regarding the V10. If I remember correctly, the Superchip will also remove the speed limiter, shift retard and move the shift points up a few 100 rpms, right? Now that you also sell the Diablo, do you know if their chip does these things too?

Regarding the tranny, I have used a mechanical means of firming up the shifts. The Sonnax valve(increases line pressure) and Tricumulator springs. Do you think there would be any problems here? I'm thinking that the other features of the chip(s) would work well with this. Right now the 1-2 shift is really harsh. Sometimes there is a slight stumble during this shift. I think it is the shift retard acting up. (tranny shifted quick and the computer couldn't keep up, still in retard mode) Anyways, thanks for your great advice. We don't get too many V10 questions and every little bit helps.

P.S. If we were interested in the Diablo, would we still use the online ordering system here or just give you a call?

Old 08-16-2001, 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi V-10 man,

Yes, they do the same basic things in those regards, remove the upshift delay, thw transitional spark retard during & just after upshifts & downshifts, etc., though the Diablo will shift considerably softer in comparison to the Superchip in it's "standard" program for each catch code.

You may well be on to something there with regards to that upshift delay signal, it sure couldn't hurt to get it out of there.

With regards to either of those chips working with your existing hardware mods to that 4R100, the valve & the changed accumulator springs, the most accurate answer I can give you is that this will depend somewhat on just how firm you like your shifts. If you found that they were just too harsh for your liking, we can always bring the line pressure back down in the hex code.

We are having the Diablo added to our online system, we're working on getting those details to Steve the Webmaster, so for now, yes, you'd need to give us a call to place your order for the Diablo, & my apologies for the inconvenience. If you're in a situation where you'd have to call from work to place the order, for example, you can always call me collect.

Thanks for your post,

Quick Reply: V-10 towing ?'s