Quick question for Superchip People and Mike

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question for Superchip People and Mike

I ran my battery down to nothing by leaving the key on in the garage. I jumped it with my other car to get it going. For two days the battery's sight on top showed red even though it was still starting OK. I called the dealer and they said it should be green and to bring it in and they will check it. I disconnected the battery with lights on and took the superchip out because they were going to check the electrical system. The 20 miles to the deal without the chip sucked!! Well by the time I got to the dealer they came out and was getting ready to take it in and opened the hood and sure enough the battery was back to green in the sight on top of it. So they said it is starting fine and is green there is really nothing we can do. Ok that did not bother me it seem like it was back to normal. I went over to the Walmart parking lot disconnected the battery and drained the computer and put the chip back in. Runs great. Now the question. Can the dealer tell that you have had a Superchip in with a full computer drain and reset? Like those wide open throttle shifts that I only did twice went to 5500 rpm, nice but does the computer remember this stuff and show up on their diagnostics?? Thanks everybody for reading this wordy message.

Old 08-15-2001, 03:11 PM
Hi DFW

Havent proved it yet, but was told that when you clear the PCM, it dosent remember the chip was there.

I would have done exact same thing, take the chip out before going to shop.

Sounds like your battery charged up ok, yeah, kinda a bummer to go through that, but it turned out ok.

Good luck. OT

Old 08-15-2001, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dfwbmw,

Actually, you've never had your engine turn quite as much as 5500 rpms with the Superchip if it's an automatic, your tach is just off a bit, a lot of them are. The highest full-throttle upshift point on any of these programs for automatic transmission models is no higher than 5400 rpm, and a lot of them are more in the 5000-5250 rpm range, just to let you know. Your tach is probably close, just off a little bit, and reading a bit high, that's pretty common.

There is also an absolute rev limiter and a "no-load" rev limiter to fully protect your engine against overspeeding, so you're in good shape there rpm-wise.

To answer your question, when you clear the ECU like that by draining all residual power, there isn't anything retained by it that will tell your dealership that the Superchip was present.

Sounds like it just took more time for your battery to get back up to it's full reserve capacity perhaps, that's most likely why it finally went green, it just took more driving to get it restored to the point that it would indicate green.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2001, 01:16 PM
Additionally, what the deally said was that in the heat the battery could go to red by itself and at night in the garage when it cools could be back to green in the morning. I arrived at the dealer at 8:30am. So between drive and cool morning it was back to green when I got there. Thanks again the wife thinks it drives like her BMW now, the gas pedal was installed!!

Old 08-17-2001, 02:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

My battery went dead with no warning whatsoever about a month ago. The site glass never moved from green,but I guess it doesn't move when it's an internal short? Oh well I pulled the chip out in the dealer driveway while no one was looking They checked it out and replaced the battery,for a minimal fee of $180!!! Geez,it died in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I could have bought my own battery for $50,,,,,,,98

Old 08-17-2001, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi dfwbmw,

Yes, that is possible, though pretty rare in a healthy batter in a vehicle with a good charging system.

Glad to hear your wife is happy!

Old 08-17-2001, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Screamer,

$180, ouch!! That's an expensive battery check.

Quick Reply: Quick question for Superchip People and Mike