best tune options for my setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best tune options for my setup

well i think im going for the sct x3 tuner for my truck but am unsure about which tunes to get that will give me the most benefit for my specs and what i have done. i was told with my 4.6 2v running premium, 91 or 93, will be my only option for getting maximum benefit for this type of engine configuration for maximum mpg. so im thinking ill get a 89 octane performance, 91 performance and 91 gas mileage. think that should do it? i really wouldnt want to get anything for 93 as i feel paying the extra for the gas will outdo the benefits i will receive in the performance of the truck.

i currently have a 3:73 gear ratio which i also in the future plan on getting 4:56 to help out even more with turning my current 33x12.50 toyo's and ultimately after i get a lift, the trail grapplers in the 295/70/18 size. otherwise all i have and all i intend on doing otherwise for mods is the gotts mod and a si/do exhaust. any additional input be helpful.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Have you discussed this with the tuner you are buying the programmer from? I would definitely get custom tunes.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
no i havent yet, wanted to get some input from more of the experienced members on here who have done alot of this stuff multiple times and have had hands on experience of whats the best route to take for different situations.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I have a 2v 4.6 in my 06. I have 87 performance, 87 tow, 91 performance, and 91 tow. The 87 performance tune from vmp I HATE. The rest are from 5 star. I love the pull of the 91 performance tune, but the low end torque from the tow tunes wins in my books. I did not notice that much difference between the 87 tow and the 91 tow. There is a difference but it is not that substantial. If I were you, I would get at least 1 87 tune. Running 91 isn't a large extra expense, but it is an extra expense. I noticed NO fuel economy gains from stock. Just much, much better driveability of the truck.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" i really wouldnt want to get anything for 93 as i feel paying the extra for the gas will outdo the benefits i will receive in the performance of the truck."

How would you know if you have not tried? Having a feeling is much different than actually testing it - for real. If I had 93 octane in constant supply along my travels I would have definitely ordered a 93 tune. The difference between 89 and 91 most likely won't be felt so don't waste your time. Just do yourself a favour and get one 93 octane tune. If you go with 5star he is loading 5 custom tunes on the SCT hand held now, same price as before.

Quick Reply: best tune options for my setup