Trans downshift mph recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans downshift mph recommendations??

After having tuned with the Intune yesterday I can say I absolutely love my truck all over again. When I installed the tune I adjusted the redline, shift points, and speedo for my larger tires. The programmer does have settings to change the downshift mph throughout the gears and I really want to take advantage of it so I can at least get rid of the constant 4-3 downshift at 70 with any type of uphill when going down the road. I know this it is affecting my mpg, and with todays prices Id like to save wherever I can. So my question here is at what mph should I set the downshift points? Ive tried searching on here and on the web and haven't had any luck on finding enough info to base any changes on.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
The downshift you're talking about is a part-throttle downshift. It doesn't depend just on speed, it also is effected by throttle opening. So, it's a bit difficult to set it the way you would like.

I have a PHP CTS programmer, and it allows you to change the 4-3 part-throttle downshifts and 3-4 upshifts in increments between -5 up to +5, which roughly equates to speed at some "unknown" throttle position. I've set mine to -5, both for the upshift to get the truck into 4th sooner, and to delay the downshift when pulling up a hill. I did the same to the torque converter lock/unlock settings, which range from -10 to +10. Both are set to -10 for 4th gear, which tends to keep the torque converter locked sooner/longer. It seems to have reduced the tendency of the transmission to change on mild hills, but of course it downshifts on steeper/longer hills regardless.

Note these settings do not effect the WOT shifting. Those are primarily controlled by RPM.

Hope this helps.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Trans downshift mph recommendations??