New Tuner help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tuner help

Hello,

I have an Edge tuner I bought back in 2006-07. It is for an 05 FX4 5.4L Screw. Well, I have been having issue w/ going up hill mostly if pulling something it jerks like it is the transmission but was told in another thread that I likely need to change the plugs. I have the airaid intake. Back in 06 I don't recall any info that using the Edge and non factory intake could burn the plugs. Supposedly the Edge is only to be used with the factory intake or doing the Gotts EZ mod. If I wanted to continue using the Edge then I needed to make these changes or get a custom tune. I removed the tunes and now drive w/ airaid intake. Since the change my gas mileage absolutely sucks so I am seriously considering getting a custom tune. My question is who do you recommend and what type tunes is recommended. I don't tow much, occasional 14ft trailer to haul stuff. I use 87 octane. I hate to spend the money on a new tuner but don't wanna screw up my engine. Wish the repercussions would have been known when the Edge was selling like hot cakes back in the day but that's what happens when there hadn't been any testing except on the diesel engines. Thanks in advance for all replies.

I've seen the 5* site and Troyer (to long wait) but not intimately familiar w/ either.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
you're running that poor truck LEAN

myself and multiple other members warned ya'll about this, but very very few listened to the truth behind what we were saying and WHY we were posting it

Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
you're running that poor truck LEAN
As is now w/ airaid and stock tunes? Or by using the Edge? If the first, then is that why my mileage is sucking? Any suggestions for custom tunes? Thanks

Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
What model is the Edge? If it's a CS or CTS, you can't get custom tunes for it any more. If it's a standard Evolution, contact PHP, they are the ONLY source for Edge custom tuning.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by glc
What model is the Edge? If it's a CS or CTS, you can't get custom tunes for it any more. If it's a standard Evolution, contact PHP, they are the ONLY source for Edge custom tuning.
It is the standard Edge, the 15051 model. Do you recommend having PHP do the tunes or get the SCT and start fresh? BTW, who is PHP? Thanks for your responses. Believe it or not, the Edge tuners go for about $200. I found the PHP website and it looks like each tune is $60 if I already have the Edge (Gryphon) tuner. I can get the SCT and five tunes for less than what it would cost me to get 5 tunes from PHP, plus PHP doesn't have an economy tune. It looks like they only have performance and tow.

Last edited by runnerbl; 05-10-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You were running lean with both the stock tune and the Edge canned tune. I would get an 87 Perf and an 87 tow from PHP. I ran their tunes for over100,000 miles on my 05. That way you get to keep the gauges and spend only $120. You won't need more than a couple of tunes.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator &

One other thing. You should change the plugs.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
glc
Anyone who tells you that their tune is an "economy" tune is full of BS.

If you put that CAI back on, you need CUSTOM tunes - and you aren't going to get a SCT with 5 custom tunes for 300 bucks. That price would be for 5 canned tunes, and the only programmer that you can get canned tunes for that will work right with your CAI is Diablo.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Well...I definitely need some help now. I went to PHP site and said I needed to get the Serial Number for the Edge so had to install the Pegasus software in order to get the serial number. While I was in the Pegasus program I went ahead and updated to latest software. It then told me to plug in the Edge and go to the diagnostics screen to get the HCX number. When I plugged it in it the vehicle started making noises under the hood. I didn't change any programming, vehicle was still stock. Got the HEX code and now vehicle won't start, just clicks. It even makes clicking sounds when the key is off and out of the ignition. I unplugged battery hoping that might provide a fix but still nothing. Any suggestions is much appreciated. My son's first prom is tomorrow and told him he could drive my truck for the special occassion and now that's looking very unlikely. PLEASE HELP!

Even when I plug the Edge back in the screen is green with nothing on it. I went to the Edge website and downloaded their software update and tried to update but it says my Edge is not a recognized device. Does that mean it updated to a Gryphon and I didn't realize is was update the firmware but instead I thought it was updating my computer software version..

Last edited by runnerbl; 05-11-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Anyone who tells you that their tune is an "economy" tune is full of BS.

If you put that CAI back on, you need CUSTOM tunes - and you aren't going to get a SCT with 5 custom tunes for 300 bucks. That price would be for 5 canned tunes, and the only programmer that you can get canned tunes for that will work right with your CAI is Diablo.
GLC, what I meant was $300 in addition to the $200 I would get for my used Edge..but see my previous post. Am I F'd or have you seen a fix my problem.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Well. The truck starts now. I don't know what happened but I switched out batteries from another vehicle and it started right up. I took it out of garage and backed in so I could jump it when I put old battery back in. Put battery in and jumped it. Started right up and starts fine. The truck had been returned to stock a few weeks ago. I am using the Edge Fusion software from the website so that might not be correct software but I didn't find any evolution software. Thanks for replying. Now, would you just update to a Gryphon and use their tunes? Are their tunes just as good as Troyer and 5*?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Your symptoms were all symptoms of a weak battery. NEVER try to load a tune with a weak battery.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Your symptoms were all symptoms of a weak battery. NEVER try to load a tune with a weak battery.

Thanks Bluejay. Didn't know that it was weak. All guages looked fine. All I was trying to do was get the HEX code so I could fill out the PHP website w/ the info. I wasn't programming the truck. Worked fine the first time I plugged it in and then the second time, the display screen on the Edge wouldn't come on and funny noise under the hood and clicking noises inside cab. When you plug these things in I am assuming that it is reading the PCM and not actually updating unless to select a program and upload. Is this correct?

I am now trying to update my evo via the fusion software and it says unrecognized device connected. Maybe I should just leave everything as is and just send off the Evo to PHP and have it upgraded to a Gryphon. Found the instructions wanted to make sure one last time that my truck had been returned to STOCK. It sure feels like it but I don't remember going into programming and then selecting "return to stock". I must have since all the power is gone.

Last edited by runnerbl; 05-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
glc
Whew - good thing it was just the battery. I'd leave it alone till you can actually contact PHP.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Went to Advanced Auto and had battery test. It was a 650 CCA put only putting out 436. Battery was about 6 years old so replaced w/ a 850CCA. Thanks for your observation. Saved me from possible break down later on.

Quick Reply: New Tuner help