Sold a Tuner to Thomas Howard, anyone know him

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold a Tuner and its locked

Here is the deal, I sold a tuner to a guy from this site. he recieved the tuner and just sent me an E-mail saying it is locked and he wants me to pay to have it unlocked by Diablo. Ok, I will pay Diablo to unlock it if its realy locked but my question is how is it locked.

I had a procharged 2001 F-150 with a stock tune (Bone stock tune because diablo said their tunes for non superchared engines would hurt the motor under boost), so in other words I never even attempted to load a tune from the diablo NEVER EVER. I plugged it in to read an engine code which ended up being #7 cylinder miss fire (bad coil) and thats it. So if it was locked would I have ever been able to use it diagnose! And since my truck is factory ECM tuned and I never loaded a tune from it wouldn't it still be unlocked!

Just realy frustrated because this same **** happend with Pay Pal and some *** hole who said I sold him a 42lb billit crank when I sent him a 38lb billit crank. Did the entire pay pal dispute and they ended up takeing the money from my account for this *** hole, I got a 42lb billit crank back in the mail but it wasn't the crank I sent out!!! Pay Pal had nothing to do with helping my *** out when I clearly got ****ed. Being a cop for the past 13 years I wasn't going to drive to the east coast to get even or attempt a long distance law suit for under $500, so yes I got screwed hard on that deal. What the hell is wrong with people in this world!!!

So if It was locked when I got it from a member on here several years ago would it still power up and let me read engine codes on my truck? If so that means the member I bought it from on here is a lying piece of **** and sold me a locked tuner when he said it was unlocked.

Last edited by bidjohnson; 06-09-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the man you sold the programmer to and I'm not a Diablo products user. I'm making a WAG here that the member who bought your programmer is not lying and it really was locked. Possibly the mere act of plugging it in to your vehicle "married" it to your truck.

Hopefully, DiabloMike may chime in here to let us know if my guess is correct and what you could have done to "divorce" the programmer before selling it.

If it IS VIN locked though, I think only you can reset it (if you get it back), or failing that, Diablo will do it for a fee.

Edit: Mike has posted later in this thread that the part I've "bolded" above is WRONG! Plugging the programmer into your truck did not VIN lock it. And, he's shown how to determine if it is locked or not. Thanks, Mike!

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 06-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
what's his user / screen name???

and honestly, if you sold him a locked tuning device when it was advertised as unlocked then yes you are responsible for making it right

Last edited by stoffer; 06-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
what's his user / screen name???

and honestly, if you sold him a locked tuning device when it was advertised as unlocked then yes you are responsible for making it right
If its locked its only because the ***** I bought it from sold it to me locked. I never loaded a tune, therefore it should have been unlocked. I have spoke with the buyer, he knows I will do the right thing.

Please do not preach to me about making it right, thats what I will do even if I cost me $$$ I just dont feel like getting ****ed over again like with my $3000 Bryant crankshaft.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor
Sounds like you bought it locked....using it to read/clear codes has no effect on whether it is locked or not, the scan tool functions work regardless of it being locked or not.

What does the tool say under options/show last tune written?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Sold a Tuner to Thomas Howard, anyone know him