EcoBoost motors, tuning, and gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost motors, tuning, and gauges

This question has simmering away in the back of my mind ever since the EcoBoost motors came out in the F150 and the overheating and tuning threads started. I'm not trying to start an argument or pissing match I'm just curious.

Is there any EcoBoost owner out there running a Pyrometer to see what the EGT's(Exhaust Gas Temperatures) are doing and the reason I ask is everyone that I know of that runs performance tunes in a diesel runs at least one Pyrometer to know what the motor is doing. The other reason is I've seen quite a few threads on a diesel performance forum I belong to about melted parts and burned up motors from guys that really know what they are doing let alone a turbo charged gas vehicle because they tend to be a little more touchy when it comes to making power not leaning things out turning the fuel air charge into a blow torch.

Personally I've seen temps of 1200+ on short pulls running the hottest custom tune in my X-Cal III and 1100 running the tow tune pulling a very long grade 7+ miles climbing about 900ft towing my 5er.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by dsq3973
This question has simmering away in the back of my mind ever since the EcoBoost motors came out in the F150 and the overheating and tuning threads started. I'm not trying to start an argument or pissing match I'm just curious.

Is there any EcoBoost owner out there running a Pyrometer to see what the EGT's(Exhaust Gas Temperatures) are doing and the reason I ask is everyone that I know of that runs performance tunes in a diesel runs at least one Pyrometer to know what the motor is doing. The other reason is I've seen quite a few threads on a diesel performance forum I belong to about melted parts and burned up motors from guys that really know what they are doing let alone a turbo charged gas vehicle because they tend to be a little more touchy when it comes to making power not leaning things out turning the fuel air charge into a blow torch.

Personally I've seen temps of 1200+ on short pulls running the hottest custom tune in my X-Cal III and 1100 running the tow tune pulling a very long grade 7+ miles climbing about 900ft towing my 5er.
Those values are from your 6.0?
Where is the EGT probe, pre or post turbo?
Either way, those are pretty decent values for a hot 6.0 tune.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by DiabloMike
Those values are from your 6.0?
Where is the EGT probe, pre or post turbo?
Either way, those are pretty decent values for a hot 6.0 tune.
Mike, that's correct it's for my 6.0 with the probe is in the drivers side exhaust manifold pre-turbo. You're right that's getting pretty hot and I don't make a habit of getting the EGT's that hot or letting them stay that hot. I won't go into the mod list but it's been studded......

Last edited by dsq3973; 08-02-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost motors, tuning, and gauges