Better Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Deal?

I'm planning on getting a programmer with custom tunes in a few months. I want to get either the SCT SF3 or X3. My question is, which is the better deal?

-5Startuning has the X3 with 5 custom tunes for $429
or
-MPT has the SF3 with the canned tunes and 3 custom tunes for $379.

I seem to see 5Star mentioned more on this forum. Would it be worth it to get the extra tunes plus room to buy more for the X3 from 5Star or does MPT have better overall tunes that the SF3 is a better deal? I'm just trying to weigh my choices here but right now I'm leaning towards the X3 from 5Star. I use my truck for more of a daily driver than anything. I do plan on towing in the future.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
there's been more than enough positive comments about 5 star on this forum....if I were looking thats the route I'd take...

Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM

I went through the exact same thing as you. I went with 5Star and a brand new SCT X3. I had a used locked one and decided I'd rather go new. Another member who has tunes MPT and 5Star convinced me to go with 5Star because they were THAT much better.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the X3 from 5Star for the extra $50 and get more tunes and have room for more in the future. Now I just need to wait for my bonus.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:24 PM

I think you'll find that you'll only really use 2 or 3 of the tunes. I got my X3 the same time I got my long tube headers and the 93 octane performance tune netted me the most performance increase. I'd run at least one tank of 93 through her just for kicks.

BTW, 5Star has "Perf/Tow" and "Economy" tunes. Supposedly, the Perf/tow tune is really a towing tune, so it's safe to tow with. It would be worth asking Mike about and I'd like to check on that myself. I barely ever tow and my truck is still slow (relatively speaking), so I wasn't all that concerned with an all-out performance tune or a strictly-for-towing tune haha

Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I think you'll find that you'll only really use 2 or 3 of the tunes. I got my X3 the same time I got my long tube headers and the 93 octane performance tune netted me the most performance increase. I'd run at least one tank of 93 through her just for kicks.

BTW, 5Star has "Perf/Tow" and "Economy" tunes. Supposedly, the Perf/tow tune is really a towing tune, so it's safe to tow with. It would be worth asking Mike about and I'd like to check on that myself. I barely ever tow and my truck is still slow (relatively speaking), so I wasn't all that concerned with an all-out performance tune or a strictly-for-towing tune haha
I think I would use the economy tune as the every day daily driver tune. I think the only time I would ever really use a performance tune would be if I wanted to do some offroading (which I rarely if ever do). So I'd pretty much be using the economy and towing tunes. I still want to get a performance to show off if I ever need to (especially since my buddy just got a 6.2L GMC Seirra Denali. Doubt if I could touch that though even with the tune)

Last edited by R.Kell628; 08-09-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Just to clarify things for you guys. The SF3 and X3 offer the same number of spaces for custom tunes, which is 10. The only difference between the X3 and the SF3 is that the SF3 comes with preloaded tunes from SCT. So, you don't lose any space by going with an SF3 vs an X3. We prefer the SF3 because even if you don't use the preloaded tunes, it makes the device a little more valuable if you ever decide to sell it.

We find that most customers are pretty happy with 3 custom tunes, but if you do need 5 we can do that for you as well for an additional $30, so a total of $409.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions regarding tunes or programmers. We're always glad to help.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MPT and 5star are both great, you won't go wrong with either. MPT is a forum sponsor and will PM you a discount code. Both offer excellent customer service too!

We are lucky to have some great tuning options for these rigs!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I just got a SF3 from 5 Star about 2 weeks ago and love it. Bought it on Labor Day weekend and got it for $379 with 5 custom tunes. If you were to wait for another holiday to roll around they'll probably have another sale. But that's IF you feel like waiting...

Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor
Thanks for the kind words Cheef!

You're right, Mike@5 Star is a top notch guy as well as most of the other well known tuners for the F150 platform. And you're right, we do offer discount codes for forum members. Whomever you choose, you can't go wrong.

Anything is better than stock!!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
No probs MPT! I thought you taught 5star Mike at SCT ??

Stock sucks. Going to order a "race" tune from you one of these days...big difference over the perf/towing? sorry for the hijack

Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by cheef
No probs MPT! I thought you taught 5star Mike at SCT ??

Stock sucks. Going to order a "race" tune from you one of these days...big difference over the perf/towing? sorry for the hijack
While working at SCT I had hundreds of dealers attend my tuning classes, but like mentioned above you can't go wrong. Mike @ 5star is an awesome guy that I respect as a business owner and person.

If you already have a tune from us, give us a call or email to discuss what differences you are looking for. Do that before buying a new tune so we can see what the best route is for you and possibly save you money.

-Mike T. @ MPT

Old 09-13-2013, 02:22 AM
Excellent!!! Can't wait...but I'll have to wait until next week, fark.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor
We know that feeling too cheef.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM

For what it's worth, the SCT I received from 5Star is a 3015, which I believe is an SF3. It has either been converted to an X3 or had the canned tunes removed, not sure how that works. But my truck is too modified to be able to run canned tunes anyway, so it's fine.

I've yet to really hear anything bad from anyone that has MPT tunes and everyone seems happy with them. And I do love that y'all advertise on and help the forum and its members. You seem like quite a good, respectable guy, Mike T!

Quick Reply: Better Deal?