Help with Tuner... Buy new tuner or re-flash ECM

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Tuner... Buy new tuner or re-flash ECM

2010 F150 King Ranch 4x4 w/5.4l V8 (out of warranty). I have an SCT programmer that when trying to load the stock tune stops at 74%. I've troubleshot the tuner with SCT and they have practically replaced all the internals. My question is what are the odds that the vehicle computer needs to be reprogrammed by Ford?? I find it difficult to believe that the computer on my truck is bad being that it runs perfectly fine. Then again I really don't know because I'm not savvy with things like that. They mentioned trying it on another truck but I don't know anyone that has a 5.4. The people that have Fords that I know have V-6's.

Should I bring it into Ford to re-flash or try another programmer? I've troubleshot it with SCT and it still doesn't work. I would like to know what the consensus is prior to sitting at Ford for a day waiting on my truck.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor
A V6 uses basically the same PCM, so it may be a worthwhile test...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:54 PM
DiabloMike,

Are you suggesting I hook it up to one of my friends truck with a V6??

Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
What does SCT recommend you do?

I don't see why you couldn't make an appointment with Ford for a specific day/time and wait for it. It takes less than an hour to flash a PCM, you won't be sitting there all day.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Maybe where you are at but where I live it always seems to take all day, even with an appointment. All I'm doing is asking questions. SCT said I could try that next.... There was some doubt in the guys voice when we spoke about that. What he wanted me to do is find someone with an F150 with the same engine and try the tuner on it. Like I mentioned everyone I know with F150's that I would ask that have v6's.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by sheppard8171
DiabloMike,

Are you suggesting I hook it up to one of my friends truck with a V6??
it could be worth a shot, but if they sounded less than confident about it, you may not want to try it on someone else's vehicle...

Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Sheppard,

Do you have any aftermarket equipment installed n your truck? Specifically alarms, stereos, navigation, trailer brake controllers, gauges.... things of that nature? I've seen similar issues to this when I did tech support for SCT a few years ago. The techs they have there now are good, but some of them are newer and might not have seen some of the issues that we've seen on earlier model trucks.

Get back to me and we'll see if we can help.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 AM
MPT,

Only aftermarket part I have is a Viper Remote Start. It was professionally installed. In addition there is an aftermarket amplifier which drives the subwoofer and door speakers have been changed out. This truck has the factory navigation on it so the head unit and everything else is stock. Externally, a CAI and Dual Cat Back Exhaust. Please note that I am out of country right now and just trying to figure out which route to take once I get back home on the 6th. So I'm limited with things I can do, but I can answer questions to things that have been done.

Last edited by sheppard8171; 09-23-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor
I'd start by disconnecting the remote start. That sort of thing has definitely been an issue in the past.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Pulling the fuse to it??? I'm not sure how its wired but I should be able to locate that. How would that affect it if its not being used when programming the vehicle?? I'm curious because the remote start will probably need reprogramming once I disconnect it.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Unfortunately, it may require more than just pulling a fuse.

The remote start is likely installed in-line somewhere between the PCM and the OBD2 port. The fact that the upload is hanging at 74% makes me think that it's having trouble communicating with the TCM, your 2010 has a separate TCM for the trans. A remote start would likely need some sort of input from the trans to be sure it is in Park as to allow it to start as well.

Probably best to head back to the shop that installed the remote start and let them "deactivate" it, however they see fit. Whether that's pulling a fuse or disconnecting a power wire. Then try to flash the truck. If ti works, great. If not, continue un-installing the remote start until it works. 95% sure this will resolve your issue.

Once you know the cause, you can start figuring out a way to make them play nice together.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll look at the installation manual and see. I know it has a "brain box" in the system. Wonder if unplugging it will do the trick. The installation was done at Best Buy so will present sitting there for hours as well. The remote start is a Viper 4202. Do you think unplugging the brain will work?? I also believe there is a way to disable the remote start, just have to read up on it.

I will say that all the time I've spent on the phone with SCT this was never brought up.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
patience?

I bought an SCT from 5 star and programmed my first tune a week ago on my 2009 5.4 6speed. The stock ECM download from the truck took almost 40 minutes with the 75%-100% taking right about 1minute for each percent. I thought things were hung up, but after 25 minutes of waiting, it made it to 100%. How long are you waiting once you hit the magic 74% mark?

Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 AM
It faults out after 74% (displays an error code)... so its not a matter of waiting on it.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Just wanted to update this.. I disconnected the remote start from the vehicle. Just took the connectors of the "box". This did the trick!!! My truck now has been tuned!!! Mike, thank you!!! Amazing how such a small thing can be so problematic.

Quick Reply: Help with Tuner... Buy new tuner or re-flash ECM