MPT 93 "race" tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MPT 93 "race" tune

MPT sent me a 93 race tune for my truck and it is amazing! Smooth and powerful, quick (not harsh) shifting, and good fuel economy. Only logged 50 miles so far. Will keep ya'll updated!

**Thanks again Mike at MPT, your customer service is fantastic. Great members discount as well, best $55 you can spend to find out the hidden potential of your vehicle.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying the tune cheef! We've put a lot of hours on the dyno into these latest tunes... we're pretty proud of them.Thanks!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Well I've put about 500 miles on the MPT 93 race tune and I can say it's the best tune that I have for my truck. I had to switch back to MPT's 91 tow tune on Friday to tow my boat home and although it's a great tune it doesn't put the same smile on my face as the "race" tune. To be fair to 5* I don't have one of their all out performance tunes to compare it too, for that matter this is the only "race" or all out performance tune that I have. The rest of the tuning I have is for towing.

The big difference is the deeper/stronger power band. From idle to redline the truck has a very noticeable increase in power. The truck feels like it's 500lbs lighter and the 33" BFG's are on the brink of breaking loose in 2nd gear. The towing tunes won't do that, but that is understandable/expected.

The shifting is excellent, firm, quick and appropriately timed. If I had a complaint it would be the shift into 6th gear occurs too early. I'll bug Mike at MPT to see if he can keep the truck out of 6th gear until about 45 MPH. It would be nice to utilize 5th gear more and it might be the perfect gear to be in around that 40-45 mph when just cruising through town.

I'll be in FLA in a couple of months and if time permits I think I'll head over to MPT and bug them in person :-)

As much as I would like an ecoboost I've gotta say this tuned 5.4 is doing a great job!

Thanks MPT

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor
Thanks for the great review cheef!

Definitely stop by the shop when you're in town, we always like visitors. Maybe you'll get lucky and we'll have something cool on the dyno when you're here.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Awesome! Staying at swiss ski school near groveland/orlando. Maybe I can rag on a customers blown stang Gt's LOL

Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Just an update, I've been running the MPT 93 octane "race" tune for about 1200 miles now (2.5 months) and it is still excellent. I had Mike at MPT try to adjust the shifting so that 5th gear could be utilized more instead of shifting to 6th so quickly. Mike sent me a revision and I think it's just a tad better but not a "fix." However from what I've read about the 2009 and 2010 F150's the transmission tuning ability is not nearly as good as the 2011+, I've heard this from SSI, 5star and Livernois. The newer F150s have much better tuning ability as in they can be highly customized (I'll let MPT explain further if they read this). I'll most likely switch out to an 87 octane tune for the winter since I don't need any power, in fact I need a reduction of power to keep from spinning so much. But I'll be loading this 93 MPT tune back in as soon as the snow stops next spring. If anyone is contemplating MPT give them a shout, Mike has been great to deal with.

As a side note to MPT - can you create a tune on the 09's that would allow the truck to start in 2nd gear if the tow/haul button was engaged because it would come in handy when it's real icy out. Kind of like the trick stuff you have for the 5.0?

Cheef

Old 12-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Good read, im in the market for a tuner here in the next month or 2 so im trying to research as much as possible. Do you have a 170 stat in your truck also?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:17 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
For street use, you should not use anything but the stock temperature thermostat.

I see you have an Ecoboost, I'd recommend Livernois for your tuning needs.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor
Cheef,
Unfortunately, same thing we discussed previously on the shifting.
If you want to swap to a truck that doesn't have the 09/10 F150 trans, then the answer to any trans related question is yes. If using that same truck, then most likely no. The control logic is horrible and the mapping in the sct software doesn't help.

Taubr,
Here is some good info for you to read on tuning the ecoboost platform:
http://www.morepowertuning.com/ecoboost_tuning_overview

Contrary to the post above, I've found great results from switching to the 170* thermostat on the ecoboost truck. Doesn't matter if you are going to the drag strip or just using the truck on the street. Temps will get hot very quickly and deteriorate performance. This can happen while daily driving, hitting an on-ramp or going to pass someone in traffic.

If you have specific questions for us, feel free to email or call directly.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Will it even be in closed loop at only 170?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks MPT!
Taubr I am running a stock T-stat.
I would definitely talk to MPT for your ecoboost tuning needs. I'd ask MPT if they have had any ecoboosts come back to them with blown motors. I have not read about any but that can't be said for Livernois.

Quick Reply: MPT 93 "race" tune