49-State SC3 in California?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49-State SC3 in California?

Just a quick question, I'm looking into getting an sct sc3 and I noticed that they have two models one for the free and one for CA. The only difference I could tell was that you can't store custom tunes on the CA model. Now I, like everyone else, loves to tune things and 5 star tuning has a great deal on tuning. So my question is will I run into any trouble using the 49-state SC3 with my CA truck? I can't imagine that I will because I can save the stock settings, am I right in thinking that? Would love a reply as I live close to auto anything and would love to pick it up soon here. Thanks.

Edit: Also how many times can I flash my EMS? I like switch back and forth (have to meet smog ) and get everything right. I have read that you are limited to 5 reflashes is this true?

Last edited by CJardine; 09-25-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Talk to 5-Star about using their tunes in California. You don't really want to set the tune back to stock for an emissions check because that normally sets the P1000 code (Drive Cycle) and that will cause you to flunk the check because your ECM is "not ready to be tested". This code can be difficult to get rid of. It goes away over time, lots of time, or by operating the vehicle in a certain way for specified intervals while singing "I Love Ford" and operating the accelerator pedal with your left hand and the gearshift lever with your right foot.

In general, you can take a tuned vehicle to an emissions check and it will pass with no problems with a tune installed as long as the tune has been performed by a reputable tuner. 5-Star is reputable.

I don't know how many times you can install/remove a tune with an SC3. 5-Star would know that too.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 09-25-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok What about using the superchips flashpaq, they say to return it to the stock tune before taking the truck to the dealer, if that throws a code wouldn't they know? So the same would go for the smog center, am I right? I am intrigued by this ford happy dance you speak of.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CJardine
Ok What about using the superchips flashpaq, they say to return it to the stock tune before taking the truck to the dealer, if that throws a code wouldn't they know? So the same would go for the smog center, am I right? I am intrigued by this ford happy dance you speak of.
The code WOULD be set if you returned the truck to stock before taking it to a dealership. However, the P1000 code is also set if you disconnect the battery (the computer has to relearn the fuel trims and things relating to smog reduction), so that code is not a signal to anyone that a programmer has been in play. There are many reasons to disconnect a battery. But, if the code is showing, an emissions check cannot be performed.

You return the truck to stock before taking it to a dealership because if they flash your ECM (which they could do to correct some problem that has been discovered in the original programming) it changes the "calibration (hex) code" in the unit. Your programmer would not recognize the new code unless you had returned the truck to stock.

I left something out of the "Ford Happy Dance" (it's easy to forget details), you have to keep your eyes crossed during the whole process.

- Jack

Quick Reply: 49-State SC3 in California?