2012 5.0 best programmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 5.0 best programmer

wanting to know what the best programmer would be for fuel savings. thats what it would be used for the most but one with preloaded settings for mutiple intakes would be nice also. trying to get the best mpg out of my 5.0 as possible

Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
None of the programmers will pay for themselves with fuel savings. The Diablo has tunes for intakes, otherwise you need a custom tune.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't need it to pay for itself I just want some fuel savings.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by FX4Matt
I don't need it to pay for itself I just want some fuel savings.
That doesn't make sense to me. If it can't pay for itself in fuel savings, then spend the money on fuel, if fuel savings is why you want one. If you are wanting it for performance, that's different. They are worth it for performance.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Sorry I don't know much about them so my know how is next to none. If I understand them right I can get more performance and some fuel savings?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Global Moderator &

You can definitely get more performance, but most experience little or no fuel savings. There is a sticky thread at the top of the tuner forum that may help you some, if you haven't read it.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Dear OP,

I always tell people not to even consider better fuel economy as a reason for getting a programmer/tuner. Having said that, lots of folks (myself included) have enjoyed better fuel economy after a programmer/tuner. However, and for a few reasons, that's not always the case.

If you get a programmer/tuner, your main purpose for doing so should be because you want more performance from your vehicle. If you get better fuel economy, count it as an added bonus. But since people usually try out the added performance afforded by the programmer, the fuel economy doesn't increase. Savvy?

As Bluejay stated, read the sticky in this sub-forum. It contains a wealth of information.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by DewserB
Dear OP,

I always tell people not to even consider better fuel economy as a reason for getting a programmer/tuner. Having said that, lots of folks (myself included) have enjoyed better fuel economy after a programmer/tuner. However, and for a few reasons, that's not always the case.

If you get a programmer/tuner, your main purpose for doing so should be because you want more performance from your vehicle. If you get better fuel economy, count it as an added bonus. But since people usually try out the added performance afforded by the programmer, the fuel economy doesn't increase. Savvy?

As Bluejay stated, read the sticky in this sub-forum. It contains a wealth of information.
^^^ This.

I got a programmer with 5star custom tunes because I wanted the truck to perform better and I wanted to compensate for my bigger tires.

Another way to look is by how the truck drives. With my tunes, the throttle response is vastly improved and the way the transmission shifts is so much better than stock. It's just a lot more enjoyable to drive because of these two things. Any fuel improvements I got were just a bonus.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Alright thanks for all the info guys! I wouldn't have a decrease in mpg with a programmer though would I?

Also what would everyone's recommendations be for the best all round programmer for the 5.0? Thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Alright thanks for all the info guys! I wouldn't have a decrease in mpg with a programmer though would I?

Also what would everyone's recommendations be for the best all round programmer for the 5.0? Thanks
There are loads of threads with tons of info about who thinks which programmer is the "best" for the 5.0. Just use the search feature and read until your heart's content!

My opinion? SCT X3 from Mike at 5 star.

Additionally, and as is most often the case, most changes in fuel economy can be directly traced to the weight of the driver's foot. More often than not, this is true regardless of the tune installed, factory or otherwise.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I wouldn't have a decrease in mpg with a programmer though would I?
You may or may not, you just don't know.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I keep my foot out of it my 91 and 93 octane tunes get great mileage, especially on the highway. I am currently running MPT's 93 race tune with the street shifting option and it is my new favourite tune. I have to give a huge recommendation to Mike at MPT after the interaction I've had with him lately. He has been very thorough when responding to my questions. I was doubtful this "race" tune would offer good fuel economy but I was mistaken, it's the best HWY mpg I've got in my 5.4. As well it is noticeably more powerful than my 91 5star tow and 91 MPT tow tunes.

You won't go wrong with 5star or MPT, both excellent. But if you are merely looking for MPG gains then I would shy away from tuning as results vary. If you are interested in all of the other benefits of custom tuning then go for it. I've never tried a 93 "economy" tune but I am sure that 5.0 would deliver some impressive mileage gains, so much so that it will outweigh the added cost of the premium fuel.

As I've said for the past couple of years the transmission tuning is worth the price of admission, everything else is just a bonus :-)

I see you are a fellow Ontarian! If the mail order tunes scare you then just drive over to Livernois in Michigan and dyno tune the 5.0!

sorry for rambling

Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Southern Speed Inc

I recently moved from the Diablo inTune platform to custom tunes from Shawn at Southern Speed Inc using the SCT programmer. I was running the 93 octane canned tune and now I Have a custom tune. Much to my surprise the custom tune really is incredibly different. Its all about power under the curve. The custom tune moved the power band from 3000+ RPM to 2000+ RPM. Throttle response is amazing. You can realize an increase in MPG with conservative driving. I wont tell you it is more efficient than stock. I can tell you that you can net the same gas mileage with significantly more performance. I am now at 16.6 MPG with my 4 mile commute. This is getting groceries, picking my kids up, going to the gym, etc....
As for ******** ***, I have 3.31 gears and I have raced 2 tundras and 4 quad cab Hemi's and I have yet to lose. We are talking from a dig to 100 MPH. So there you are, both scenarios, daily driving and Friday night fun. If you already have the unit tunes are typically $150 for 3 tunes. There are really great reviews for MPT, 5 star and SSI (formerly SoCal). If you are looking for a more precise shift, quicker throttle response and some drive-ability enhancements, you will be fine with the canned tune. If you truly want to realize every bit of power from 0 to the red line, a custom tune is the way to go.

Last edited by malexander52; 10-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
could i buy the sct 3 tuner and then get custom tunes seperate? only wondering because the tuner would be a gift and it would be easiest to get the custom tunes myself

Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
could i buy the sct 3 tuner and then get custom tunes seperate? only wondering because the tuner would be a gift and it would be easiest to get the custom tunes myself
Hi.

Yes - of course. However you would be paying a significant premium, since the custom-tuned versions INCLUDE 3 or more tunes for the price of a canned tune version with NO custom tunes ( but room for future ones for additional after-sale costs of $60+ per tune.

You have seen I'm sure all of the links to the various custom tuning vendors we respect - this question would have been moot if you had done just a smidge of research.

So - just have the gift BE the custom SCT X3 - you need the tuner to arrive first anyway, so you can pull the 7-character HEX strategy code from yer PCM upon which yer tuning will be written. You will supply that code when you actually order the tunin' via the website order forms.

Bud - pick a vendor and call them - they are ALL really helpful.

Good luck, Matt from Hootersville I'm from the Hammer - if you need any help, just PM me.

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-10-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added more info ...

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 best programmer