Custom tune necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom tune necessary?

Hi folks, been a while since I posted here, but here I am with a question, when I need you all most! But really, not that dramatic! I know if you add an intake and much free-er flowing exhaust (ie hi flows, headers, etc) a tuner is necessary to keep from running too lean. I've read many posts on here saying you shouldn't run an intake without a tuner. Period. Just don't do it! I don't plan to. My question is, do I need custom tunes. Or will say an Edge Evolution make corrections to the air/fuel ratio of my rig based on the info it's getting from my ECM while operating using the tuners "canned" tunes. Again, I understand and realize I will see the most gains with tunes written for my vehicle, but I'm only wondering if the canned tunes included in the Edge Evoloution will prevent a lean condition. Thanks all for your input!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Edge tunes are written for the stock intake. So yes, with it, you need a custom tune to be safe. Diablo has tunes that are written for some intakes , so if you have one of those intakes, you do not need a custom tune. What engine and year? It can be more critical with some.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Edge tunes are written for the stock intake. So yes, with it, you need a custom tune to be safe. Diablo has tunes that are written for some intakes , so if you have one of those intakes, you do not need a custom tune. What engine and year? It can be more critical with some.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
'08 scab 5.4L. I think it was earlier years that were on the lean side from factory?

Quick Reply: Custom tune necessary?