Unichip Plug 'n Play review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unichip Plug 'n Play review

I was given a Unichip Plug 'n Play kit to install and provide a review. I received the kit about 2 weeks ago. I immediately pulled my truck in the garage, excited to try out this new kit.

I was happy to see the actual unit was protected in aluminium, and the electronics inside where potted in a heavy rubber. The rest of the kit includes the required wiring harness, a build checklist, some zip ties, dielectric grease, the installation manual, stickers, and a warranty card. The harness is nicely labeled, and seems to use high quality OEM connectors. The kit was pretty easy to install, and the installation manual was exceptionally thorough in explaining how to disconnect and reconnect each sensor (total of 3 required). It took me about 30 minutes to actually install the kit, but if I ever did it again, I could probably do it in 5-10 minutes.

This kit has a rocker switch with a Tow mode and a Race mode. Of course, I set it to Race mode and started the truck. It fired up smoothly, and without hesitation. I took it for a drive, the truck was snappy and responsive. I was trying to take it easy, but knowing full well of the power available to me was right under my foot. I only had one opportunity to open it up that night, and that was to get around a person doing 30 MPH on the on ramp to the freeway by my house. As soon as I could, I dropped the hammer on the loud pedal... The traction control kicked in, and not much more than wheel spin happened - at first. Once I realized I needed to feed the power in, the truck took off like a rocket. Actually it took off like my 2009 WRX. I actually felt the turbos spool up and delivery heaps of power to the rear wheels. This truck is a '12 4x4 Screw Lariat 5.5' bed with a 3.31 axle. Acceleration is not the main design feature of my truck. Now this thing is a freak on the street.

I've been driving for 2 weeks now. My truck has been running smooth, and running strong. I've put about 300 miles on the truck (all local miles), and been getting about 15.5 MPG. I'm not very surprised though, because I keep finding reasons to try out the supposedly 156 HP, and 169 Lbs of torque. I just filled up with 92 octane, and have to drive across the state later this week. I will work hard to drive normally, and will report back my findings.

If you have any questions, ask it here. If I don't know, I'm sure that jack@unichip.us can answer them for you. I strongly encourage you to look into this product, and ask any questions to Jack.

That's my $0.02

Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey05
I was given a Unichip Plug 'n Play kit to install and provide a review. I received the kit about 2 weeks ago. I immediately pulled my truck in the garage, excited to try out this new kit.

I was happy to see the actual unit was protected in aluminium, and the electronics inside where potted in a heavy rubber. The rest of the kit includes the required wiring harness, a build checklist, some zip ties, dielectric grease, the installation manual, stickers, and a warranty card. The harness is nicely labeled, and seems to use high quality OEM connectors. The kit was pretty easy to install, and the installation manual was exceptionally thorough in explaining how to disconnect and reconnect each sensor (total of 3 required). It took me about 30 minutes to actually install the kit, but if I ever did it again, I could probably do it in 5-10 minutes.

This kit has a rocker switch with a Tow mode and a Race mode. Of course, I set it to Race mode and started the truck. It fired up smoothly, and without hesitation. I took it for a drive, the truck was snappy and responsive. I was trying to take it easy, but knowing full well of the power available to me was right under my foot. I only had one opportunity to open it up that night, and that was to get around a person doing 30 MPH on the on ramp to the freeway by my house. As soon as I could, I dropped the hammer on the loud pedal... The traction control kicked in, and not much more than wheel spin happened - at first. Once I realized I needed to feed the power in, the truck took off like a rocket. Actually it took off like my 2009 WRX. I actually felt the turbos spool up and delivery heaps of power to the rear wheels. This truck is a '12 4x4 Screw Lariat 5.5' bed with a 3.31 axle. Acceleration is not the main design feature of my truck. Now this thing is a freak on the street.

I've been driving for 2 weeks now. My truck has been running smooth, and running strong. I've put about 300 miles on the truck (all local miles), and been getting about 15.5 MPG. I'm not very surprised though, because I keep finding reasons to try out the supposedly 156 HP, and 169 Lbs of torque. I just filled up with 92 octane, and have to drive across the state later this week. I will work hard to drive normally, and will report back my findings.

If you have any questions, ask it here. If I don't know, I'm sure that jack@unichip.us can answer them for you. I strongly encourage you to look into this product, and ask any questions to Jack.

That's my $0.02
I was also given a Unichip and got it Monday of this week, I finally was able to install it today and what a difference! Everything Casey said is exactly how i feel about it.. I made a quick 0-60 run today and i timed it at 6 seconds with traction control holding the truck back until about 30 and the tires were still crying up to 40mph, I can get on it in 2nd gear and the tires break loose easily.. Ive only drove the truck 20 miles or so but cant wait to test it out more in the next few days..

What i like is the truck drives completely normal like the unichip isnt even there until you hit the throttle, thats when the truck wakes up and flies

Jack at Unichip has been very helpful and very quick to answer any of my questions..

I definetly recommend the Unichip..

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 10-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Have y'all done any sort of data logging? Have any idea what this device is doing to your truck?

How exactly is it making more power?
What did it change or alter?
What does the A/F look like?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 AM
No, I don't believe there are any data logging capabilities. I don't know what it changes, or how. I would strongly recommend asking jack@unichip.us

Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 AM
KingRanchMcoy, I'm glad you had the same experience. Here in the Seattle area, I've been sure to leave it in 4Auto when leaving parking lots, or driving around town. I was already a bit traction limited before on these slick wet streets, but now I have to be extra careful.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Patman
Have y'all done any sort of data logging? Have any idea what this device is doing to your truck?

How exactly is it making more power?
What did it change or alter?
What does the A/F look like?
^^ This!

Originally Posted by Casey05
No, I don't believe there are any data logging capabilities. I don't know what it changes, or how. I would strongly recommend asking jack@unichip.us

No way in hell I'd hook anything up to my truck until I had a very good understanding of what it's doing to it! And no datalogging? Nah. I wouldn't install anything that couldn't perform datalogging, either.

Let's see. This feller builds a "chip" kit that promises huge performance gains, doesn't tell you (or anybody as far as I can tell) how it does it, sends you one for free, and this all seems legit?

Ever hear the saying that talks about things that sound too good to be true actually being just that?

Seriously, guys. Until you find out everything you can about these "chips" (what they do, how they do it, what this "Jack" character's background is, etc), I'd unhook those damn things immediately, if not, sooner!

Last edited by DewserB; 10-11-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

It looks like ol' Jack from "Unichips" has seen this thread. He took Casey's review from here and pasted it on his site as a testimonial for his product.

So since you're watching, Jack, how about replying here about how your device works? That'll take the guesswork out of it for the rest of us. Methinks it's the least you can do for the potential users of your product. I believe it's only right that potential users should be armed with as much knowledge as possible before they buy! I believe a pretty dyno sheet and promises of huge power gains simply aren't enough.

After all, knowledge is power, right?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by DewserB

Let's see. This feller builds a "chip" kit that promises huge performance gains, doesn't tell you (or anybody as far as I can tell) how it does it, sends you one for free, and this all seems legit?

Ever hear the saying that talks about things that sound too good to be true actually being just that?
First off he doesnt offer HUGE GAINS.. This is straight off the website

"Add's up to 55 bhp and 70 ft-lb"

And im sure thats running Supreme gas which the ecoboost does get more horsepower off supreme.

Id be willing to guess 87 octane maybe 35 to 40hp gains.

Also from what i understand you can get the display that does datalog

http://www.unichip.us/products/46-FLUX-In-Car-Display

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 10-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The original poster said 156 hp and 169 torque. Where did those come from? That is totally unrealistic and impossible with a tune. Your 55 MIGHT be possible but is probably a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The original poster said 156 hp and 169 torque. Where did those come from? That is totally unrealistic and impossible with a tune. Your 55 MIGHT be possible but is probably a stretch.

My understanding by looking at the dyno sheet it states Data corrected to flywheel values

http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads...Ecoboost_3.pdf

55 sounds reasonable to me on a twin turbo vehicle running supreme.. We arent talking about a 5.slow Jim

From here on out im just going to let Jack answer questions about the product.. I will continue giving reviews of how my truck drives with it and what i like or dont like about it.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 10-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM

This is what Mike can do with an 87 tune on the Eco.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hey, the 5.Go is so fast out of the box, it don't need no tuner!

Last edited by Bluejay; 10-11-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Hey, the 5.Go is do fast out of the box, it don't need no tuner!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
We arent talking about a 5.slow Jim
Right on queue.

Originally Posted by Chris's FX4
This is what Mike can do with an 87 tune on the Eco.

^^ This!!

A reputable company run by a reputable feller using reputable equipment and producing legit results all with an 87 octane tune. This is the way to go if you're going with a programmer!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Hey, I'm not saying this is the best product ever made, and the only way to go. I'm just saying there are other options. As KRMcoy stated, I'll let Jack answer any tech questions and just report back my personal experiences.

Dewser, I respect your opinion, but that is not THE only way to tune a truck. I personally have had several custom tuners over the years, across different vehicles. I'm always worried about reflashing the ecu and having something happen at an inopportune moment, and end up bricking the ecu. This is a way of not doing just that.

Quick Reply: Unichip Plug 'n Play review