Did I Do This Right? (Gryphon Tuning)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I Do This Right? (Gryphon Tuning)

I have a monochrome Gryphon tuner for my 2001 F150 5.4L. I have canned tunes on it cause I don't feel like going through the hassle of ordering custom tunes from PHP nor do I plan on having this truck much longer.

Anyways I just re-tunned the truck to the "93 Performance" tune, but the problem is I don't have 93 octane gas here in California. I only have access to 91 octane.

So I have been doing some searching on here and read that I can adjust the timing. So when I programmed the truck I only adjusted the timing to -1.0 to compensate for the 91 octane. Will I still get the full effects of the 93 performance if I only adjusted the timing?

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You in essence now have a 91 tune. What you did is necessary to keep from running lean. Did you adjust for whatever size tires you are running!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You in essence now have a 91 tune. What you did is necessary to keep from running lean. Did you adjust for whatever size tires you are running!

No I did not. I run 285 (Sometimes 290) /70/17

I have no idea what number that is since they are 4 digit numbers to be entered on the gryphon.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There is a formula in your Gryphon manual that you use to convert the tire size to the number you need to enter. You can also do a search on this site using the search feature to find a thread containing the formula. It is the same for the Edge and the Gryphon.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
The 4 digit numbers are just a place to start. To fine tune for tire size, you need to compare the Gryphon speed readout to a GPS.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Can't seem to get the number right. Got the formula from the manual and calculated my tire size. 285/70/17

I got 2532 and its still way way off.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by |SoCal|Screw
Can't seem to get the number right. Got the formula from the manual and calculated my tire size. 285/70/17

I got 2532 and its still way way off.
2532 corresponds to about 3% squish (the effect of weight on the tires). That's possibly not enough. Try 2479mm, which is 5%.

But, you didn't say whether your actual speed was faster than the speedo or if it was slower. To reduce the speedo value, reduce the Tire Size. To increase it (for the same actual speed) increase the TS.

Also, you have to make sure your Gear Ratio is correct. When you open the Custom Options menu, the Gryphon loads "placeholder values" for both the TS and GR. One or both of them is usually incorrect and if you don't correct them, they will be used in the tune you load.

- Jack

Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
2532 corresponds to about 3% squish (the effect of weight on the tires). That's possibly not enough. Try 2479mm, which is 5%.

But, you didn't say whether your actual speed was faster than the speedo or if it was slower. To reduce the speedo value, reduce the Tire Size. To increase it (for the same actual speed) increase the TS.

Also, you have to make sure your Gear Ratio is correct. When you open the Custom Options menu, the Gryphon loads "placeholder values" for both the TS and GR. One or both of them is usually incorrect and if you don't correct them, they will be used in the tune you load.

- Jack

Thanks I'll try that number. My speedo is much faster than my actual speed.

As for the gear ratio I'm running 3.73 so enter that in the tuner?

Also can I go straight to the level 3 tune and re-tune my truck with the correct settings or do I have to go back to stock every time I need to change something?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 PM
glc
You don't compare the speedo to the actual speed - you compare the Edge speed with a GPS. The speedo will be somewhat high by design.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You don't compare the speedo to the actual speed - you compare the Edge speed with a GPS. The speedo will be somewhat high by design.
Well my speedo was showing me doing 90 today when I was really going between 75-80

Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 AM
glc
Well my speedo was showing me doing 90 today when I was really going between 75-80
What did the Edge say? What did the GPS say?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Global Moderator &

That's a HUGE error. I suspect your Gear Ratio setting is wrong too. Make sure you check BOTH the TS and GR each time you open Custom Options. The programmer DOES NOT automatically put in the correct values or last used values when you open that menu. You can tell it to, by scrolling to "Load Previous Settings" as the FIRST step after opening the menu, then hit [Enter].

You do not have to go to stock first when changing tunes, or when reloading your current tune.

- Jack

Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 PM
I changed the GR and TS and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Good! Thanks for the feedback.

- Jack

Old 10-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Is there anyway this Gryphon on the level 3 canned tune can affect my headlights?

Also at times when the truck is turned off for a while usually over night when I go to start it for the first time it turns over, but sounds like its going to die then it goes into its normal idle. But for a second or two after it turns over it sounds really weak like its not getting enough fuel or something. Should I make an adjustment for that somewhere?

Quick Reply: Did I Do This Right? (Gryphon Tuning)