confused on tuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused on tuners

Ok, so i just bought a '13 ecoboost and researching tuners for it. Iv seen crazy good results from the Livernois tuner for $600 and comes with a few tunes for the truck.

Next, i see good results from the SCT tuner but the prices are as low as $300 up to $400 with custom tunes from different tuners. Soo does this SCT tuner come with preloaded files for the truck from SCT or is the tuner just a blank tuner that needs tune files from XYZ tuner loaded?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by taubr unit
Ok, so i just bought a '13 ecoboost and researching tuners for it. Iv seen crazy good results from the Livernois tuner for $600 and comes with a few tunes for the truck.

Next, i see good results from the SCT tuner but the prices are as low as $300 up to $400 with custom tunes from different tuners. Soo does this SCT tuner come with preloaded files for the truck from SCT or is the tuner just a blank tuner that needs tune files from XYZ tuner loaded?
Hi & welcome!

Don't get too hung up on the hardware itself.... it is the quality of the calibrations that is of overriding importance here.

Livernois offers custom calibrations using either their AIW device or an SCT X3.

SCT offers two flavours - an X3 (custom only, no preloaded files) and an SF3 ( preloaded with canned) and also has room for custom calibrations.

For myself, I would NEVER run a canned tune on any EB vehicle.

Livernois preferred ( due to their vast experience on this platform) but a dyno session at one of the respected SCT tuning shops who have F150 experience would also be fine.

A mail-order custom tune from one of these folks is also available, but datalogging would be a VERY good idea to be safe. Best to ask them about their EB F150 tuning if you go that route.

Good luck!

Cheers

Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad yer back MGD!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by cheef
Glad yer back MGD!

Thankee Cheef!

I suspect that neither good ol' KMAC & Cheese - nor the Mods for that matter - share yer sentiment

Cheers, fellow Canuckistanian!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Thankee Cheef!

I suspect that neither good ol' KMAC & Cheese - nor the Mods for that matter - share yer sentiment

Cheers, fellow Canuckistanian!

Don't include this mod in that sentiment! Happy to read a post from you again MGD. Hope you're keeping warm up there in the frozen north.

- Jack

Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Don't include this mod in that sentiment! Happy to read a post from you again MGD. Hope you're keeping warm up there in the frozen north.

- Jack
Ahhh, thankee, Sir Jack!

Rest assured you were not, as I consider you to be much more than just a Mod.

And yes, the main dwelling igloo and the attached garage igloo are all ready for winter.

Regards & Cheers

MGD

Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
That is actually a really good question. As they say...."it ain't the arrow it's the indian" no offense to native americans. The programmer is just the delivery device. The real product is the tuner and their specific tunes. There are a ton of custom tunes and tuners out there but if you do a little research on several F 150 forums you will see a few names that keep poping up over and over. Most folks are pretty sold on their tuner, hey you just dropped a couple hundered bucks so it must be good, right?. Your homework will tell you just which tuners seem to produce good tunes without constant updates to "fix" issues.That is what you really have to watch out for. Good dependable tunes that give you what your looking for.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True to a point, but after-the-sale support to "tweak" is key. In the case of SSI it sounds like when there is an issue pointed out to him via customer and a "fix" is found he will let everyone have the latest tune. The more eyes/ears the better so to speak.
MPT is another example, they offered ecoboost tunes a couple years back...then went back to the dyno recently and everyone who had the first edition got the new one at no extra charge. I'm actually thankful and happy when I read about a tuner coming out with new stuff...usually, not always, it's better than the previous. I mean we're all supposed to improve with age, right?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
I didn't say I hated you or somethin! I think our bantering is fun

I'm glad you've come out of your PM-only closet

Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I love the quality and support of the sct products. I would buy the sct with the canned tunes for now and then if you want a custom dyno tune for more power or future mods the sct can hold extra tunes. It can literally grow with you as your mods increase. You can use the canned tunes for an immediate increase in power for now and when you are ready for more just find a good tuner and the sct will work perfect for you.

Since none of their canned tunes would work with my cams and mods I ordered a blank ten tune capable sct handheld and got a local reputable tuner to load a base tune on it for me to start with. I love my sct and will only use them for future vehicles.

This is just my personal opinion as everyone else will have their own opinions. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
so why not order a SCT tuning device directly froma reputable tuner, that way instead of buying a device, then paying additional money for a tune the tune will be included...

Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
so why not order a SCT tuning device directly froma reputable tuner, that way instead of buying a device, then paying additional money for a tune the tune will be included...
^^^ Ed Zachary the point I was attempting to make.

Cost of canned only device ( even SCT with slots for more tunes) = cost of device that INCLUDES several custom tunes in said price.

Tunes are NOT free after the initial sale of a canned ( but custom-capable) device. Not that I can see, for SCT anyway. Three tunes to load onto an existing canned'loaded device after the fact will incur an additional $150-$200 or more.

Not even worth considering, IMHO. I can spend that $150 + on mods, food, dogfood or tea.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by tarajerame
I agree with this as well

Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 AM
well i bought a Livernois tuner used right now. After all my reading i wanted to use them to tune my truck. Bought it for $200 now then later ill call up Livernois and have tunes sent to me for $250 making the grand total $450 vs $630 new and being able to do it over a little period of time vs one lump sum at once and saves some money also. Got the tuner yesterday so in the next few weeks ill buy the tunes.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by taubr unit
well i bought a Livernois tuner used right now. After all my reading i wanted to use them to tune my truck. Bought it for $200 now then later ill call up Livernois and have tunes sent to me for $250 making the grand total $450 vs $630 new and being able to do it over a little period of time vs one lump sum at once and saves some money also. Got the tuner yesterday so in the next few weeks ill buy the tunes.
Hi.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks fer the update. Please let us'n know how you like the tunin'.

Quick Reply: confused on tuners