superchip 1715 for 97 f150 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
superchip 1715 for 97 f150 questions

I have a chance to buy a superchip 1715 tuner for my 97 f150 for cheap and wss wondering if it woukd be worth it? But ive heard these tuners are supposidly limited on the older f150's, ive heard complaints of people not being able to run an 87 octane tune and only being able to get a single superchip tune, was wondering if this is true or not? And if this would be a good tuner?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I dunno - that's the last thing you want to do to an engine that you can't get to stop pinging. Take the money you would pay for it and get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...lp-please.html

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_boi
I have a chance to buy a superchip 1715 tuner for my 97 f150 for cheap and wss wondering if it woukd be worth it? But ive heard these tuners are supposidly limited on the older f150's, ive heard complaints of people not being able to run an 87 octane tune and only being able to get a single superchip tune, was wondering if this is true or not? And if this would be a good tuner?
Well Howdy, Yall!

Wellsir - if yer truck maintenance be up to snuff, yall got fresh plugs, front O2's, fresh fuel filter, yer chambers ain't carboned up, yer cats ain't clogged AND you ain't pingin' NOW, you can give it a shot.

*** And now, the BIG Ol' CAVEAT: NO programmer will FIX a pre-existing mechanical, electrical, or drivability-related issue with the truck!!! **** don't even go there. Bad, bad, Juju. Very bad.

HOWEVER - DO NOT pay a lot for this ancient device! No more'n $72.96 - $97.60 tops, as it is obsolete and wont work on newer tucks. Free wuud be good , too. Be advised - these here thangs NOT be customizable, updateable, or anytang like thet!

There be two versions -

- original version = had only one 91 octane, tow-safe tune, so yepper... yall needs to ran the expen$ive hooch

- newer' version = had 3 tunes - including an 87 octane one and a couple 91 octane files, so that would be the one to get.

I wunt pay fer the original 1-tune unit. Nosiree...

Thing is, they look identical - you'd need to plug 'er in to see what version it is, or get a screenshot, OR git the serial number and build date - and email / call that in to Superchips to ver-e-fy exact model in play.

Here be the installation manwell fer the 3-tune booger ( sorry, don't gots one fer the 1-trick pony ):

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...s/src-1715.pdf

Summ'ry: if'n ye gots the scratch, save up fer a custom tuned SCT X3 - aboot $4 hundy, BUT it be future-proof, flexible, adjustable and a lot more effective tunin' wise

www.vmptuning.com
www.morepowertuning.com
www.5startuning.com

BTW - NO tuner cain adjust yer speedo on yer truck - the PCM dint have this'n in 'em in 1997. Need a gear fer that.

Good luck, pardner! keep them tahrs dirtside down

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-18-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Spellin'. Yeah that's right - whatchayall laffin' at ?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
I dunno - that's the last thing you want to do to an engine that you can't get to stop pinging. Take the money you would pay for it and get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...lp-please.html
Ford dealer wants $60 to $100 to reflash the ecu and they say that it might not do much and then another $60 to scan it, idk seems pricey for something that may do nothing

Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
My 02 truck seemed slower than the 00 I had before with both equipped the same. I bought a 1715 superchips programmer from a site member and loaded it. I love it! It really perked up my 02, added an estimated 20 hp, very noticeably improved the throttle response and improved my gas mileage a little. I'm very happy with it! I tried dorking around with the transmission settings and set it back to stock. I'm using the 87 octane tune. It does have a 91 octane tune and a towing tune that also uses 91 octane. So buy it and you will be pleased I think.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
My 02 truck seemed slower than the 00 I had before with both equipped the same. I bought a 1715 superchips programmer from a site member and loaded it. I love it! It really perked up my 02, added an estimated 20 hp, very noticeably improved the throttle response and improved my gas mileage a little. I'm very happy with it! I tried dorking around with the transmission settings and set it back to stock. I'm using the 87 octane tune. It does have a 91 octane tune and a towing tune that also uses 91 octane. So buy it and you will be pleased I think.
Hey.

Here's one tip that DOES work for a tranny setting tweak - 4th paragraph in this post:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/1950574-post2.html

Give it a try.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I tried making the shifts harder and also raising the shift points. It doesn't shift any faster just harsher and raising the shift points on a low rpm 5.4 is a waste and actually slows the acceleration. I much prefer the stock settings. Maybe I'll try the recommendation on the one shift to check again.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I tried making the shifts harder and also raising the shift points. It doesn't shift any faster just harsher and raising the shift points on a low rpm 5.4 is a waste and actually slows the acceleration. I much prefer the stock settings. Maybe I'll try the recommendation on the one shift to check again.
The point Mike was trying to make was - leave every other shift point and firmness setting alone - just tweak this one particular shift point; and by only the amount specified.

When I had a 1715 this worked fine for me.

MGD

Quick Reply: superchip 1715 for 97 f150 questions