Can/will dealer change PCM for different tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can/will dealer change PCM for different tire size?

I have a 2009 F150 w/5.4L and 5K miles on new tires. Couldn't get OEM size of 265/60 so took 265/65 since the rebate was about to end. Was told the tires were about 1" in dia. larger and wouldn't notice the difference.

Wrong. It seems to downshift sooner than before on slight inclines and also the gas mileage changed. Just did a long road trip(TX to IL) and did several checks comparing odometer to gps. Turns out the odometer was about 4% below mileage actually traveled.

So if the dealer can't make a change for new tire size, what are my options?
Don't really want to spend $300-$400 or more to make do it myself and this is something totally new to me. I quit doing a lot of auto work a few years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

lvista

Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lvista
I have a 2009 F150 w/5.4L and 5K miles on new tires. Couldn't get OEM size of 265/60 so took 265/65 since the rebate was about to end. Was told the tires were about 1" in dia. larger and wouldn't notice the difference.

Wrong. It seems to downshift sooner than before on slight inclines and also the gas mileage changed. Just did a long road trip(TX to IL) and did several checks comparing odometer to gps. Turns out the odometer was about 4% below mileage actually traveled.

So if the dealer can't make a change for new tire size, what are my options?
Don't really want to spend $300-$400 or more to make do it myself and this is something totally new to me. I quit doing a lot of auto work a few years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

lvista
https://www.f150online.com/forums/4407289-post2.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4838340-post3.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...eedometer.html

..and aboot a hundy more je like'em ....

Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Yes the dealer can get your PCM close....but may not be exact. Im running larger tires with a dealer re-cal to correct the speedo. No issues thus far, but will be getting the SCT from 5 star soon.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Had to take my wifes vehicle in for service. Asked another service advisor and he told me that they could update the PCM and as you mentioned, it may not be exact. Will probably have it done when I go in for next oil change.

lvista

Quick Reply: Can/will dealer change PCM for different tire size?