5 star tuning's custom 87 tune for 2009 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5 star tuning's custom 87 tune for 2009 5.4L

I just received my SCT tuner from 5startuning, after a brief conversation with Mike. He was kind enough to answer all my questions and explain how the deal works. (they are on sale right now so get one! )

I downloaded the "SCT device updater" program from SCT, as instructed.

I also sent Mike at 5startuning a simple request for an 87 octane tune late on Friday night. By Sat morning, the 87 octane tune was in my "inbox". Cool, so far, so good.

Here is where the only significant glitch happened. The "SCT device updater" program did not like my Windows 8.1 computer and would not communicate with the tuner, no matter what I tried. It must have generated 20 different errors and even shut down my computer with a variation of the "blue screen of death".

No problems on my Windows 7 computer. So, I installed the custom tune to the SCT unit and then loaded the custom tune to the truck. Took about an hour. I clay bar'd the entire top surface of the truck waiting for it to finish. And, like an idiot, I did not put a battery charger on the battery. So, by the time it finished, the truck would not start. Ugh. (my fault) But, it did load properly and once I charged the battery, off I went.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 PM
How's it work? Glad you asked!

EDIT: having driven it about 2000 miles now, I am supremely pleased! I've edited a few comments below for clarity.

I've not driven it many miles yet but there are some significant improvements. First the speed limiter is gone. Second the throttle opens fully when you ask for it. The transmission upshifts are pushed a small bit higher in the RPM range,,, NICE! And the shifts are a touch firmer. That's perfect too. Downshifts are "spot on" and I am happy with the trans performance. Note: the trans always downshifted properly at highway speeds before. And, at slow speeds, downshifting from 6th to 2nd still takes 2 to 3 seconds. Not sure if anything can be done about that.

One thing is clear, mid range torque has been improved markedly.

The "throttle by wire" is significantly different. It will give, what seems to be a very large throttle opening at about 1/2 pedal position. (sounds to me like full opening, but I'll have to install a borescope to verify) More gas pedal simply results in a downshift, and/or holding revs to redline. It's pleasing to drive.

I will say this, it does not behave exactly like a cable throttle and that is really what I want. My Jaguar's throttle by wire does and it feels perfect. Might have to do a bit more work on this one...

A very minor quibble that remains. Upon lift of the pedal, the throttle remains open a good bit. I want control over the engine's output, not what some engineer at Ford thinks I should have. I do drive off road, and use 1, 2 and 3 manual gear selections to manage power. So after giving it some gas, I lift and the thing continues to go. UGH... I'll ask for a "fix" on my next tune.

So, overall, it's a massive improvement in most areas of operation. And a few others need work. The improved power alone is worth the price of admission.

Last edited by cujet; 01-05-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I did not ask for a 93 octane tune, as I'm considering the purchase of the "stainless works" headers and a nice exhaust system. From the little I read about them, they seem to improve midrange torque quite a bit. So, I'm holding off on asking for other "custom tunes" from Mike until I learn a bit more about what I need and what other mods I end up performing.

I'll try to address other issues at the same time. I've got to admit that this truck should have come from the factory with some of these "fixes".

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Discuss your issues with Mike, he should be able to address them. The initial tune he sent you should just be considered a "baseline".

Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Discuss your issues with Mike, he should be able to address them. The initial tune he sent you should just be considered a "baseline".
Of course! He seems to have excellent customer service and once I learn a bit about this tune, I hope to be specific as to exactly what I need. As I mentioned, I'd rather complete the mods before I start using up my 4 remaining tunes.

Please understand, I'm quite pleased with the increased performance.

I don't recall any time limit on the tunes. Is there one?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I bet you could get him to rewrite the tune you have without using up any of the other ones.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Just a quick update. I'm getting better MPG's. This seems to be a case of the best of both worlds. More power and more MPG's.

Sorry, no objective data yet. I had planned on doing some drag strip runs as the local strip is 3 miles from my house.

Again, it's made a big improvement and I remain quite pleased.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
do some datalogs and send 'em back to Mike for his review

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running a modified version of his 87 perf/tow tune currently. I found the "stock" custom 87 perf/tow tune revved a bit high before shifting when at a light throttle (in traffic and around the city). He revised the shift points and sent the "fixed" tune in 10 minutes. I have been running that since mid October and couldn't be happier. It will rev up nicely when needed but most of the time just runs right. Much increased torque between 2200-3500 rpms. I drive a stock 2013 5.0 (same screw 6.5ft box) for work and the two trucks are very evenly matched with the tune on the 5.4.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a couple of tuners from Mike and he helped me to get started making my own tunes. You can't beat dealing with 5 Star. Had to call SCT for earlier tuner issues. You will love talking to those guys if need be.

Quick Reply: 5 star tuning's custom 87 tune for 2009 5.4L