Looking for a tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a tuner

My dad wants a tuner for our 2002 F150 XLT. It's the triton 5.4 with 280,000 miles, a CAI, no cats, and stock muffler. I would like an economy tune and a towing tune for sure. I know that it won't make a real big difference, but every bit helps I guess.

I've read on here that people will sell them with custom tunes, but I don't know where to look, or what to get. I just need something that's cheap and works. Not worried about extravagant features. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by silenceikillyou
My dad wants a tuner for our 2002 F150 XLT. It's the triton 5.4 with 280,000 miles, a CAI, no cats, and stock muffler. I would like an economy tune and a towing tune for sure. I know that it won't make a real big difference, but every bit helps I guess.

I've read on here that people will sell them with custom tunes, but I don't know where to look, or what to get. I just need something that's cheap and works. Not worried about extravagant features. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Hi.

"Cheap" and "good" are mutually exclusive terms when it comes to quality tuning devices.

Look here - recommended custom tuning dealers:

www.5startuning.com

www.morepowertuning.com

www.vmptuning.com

www.gopowerhungry.com

www.troyerperformance.com

All are good - I'd recommend the first three if quick turnaround is important to you. I'd also spend some time talking to them.

The programming hardware device you want will be made by SCT:

www.sctflash.com

Either X3, SF3, iTSX, Livewire, etc ....

And read this: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...unes-read.html

NOW - for some reality:

First - at that mileage, you may want to reconsider, as aftermarket tuning can exacerbate a pre-existing condition. Truck had better be in great shape mechanically and electrically or you WILL have issues. ALL maintenance needs to be up to snuff, or forget it.

Second - don't expect miracles. A bit more power, much better shifting, and NO guarantee of any mileage gains. And - You will need to factor in the cost of running premium fuels to get meaningful perf gains.

Third - this is a ~$400 investment any way you slice it. Is it worth it on that truck, to you ( and yer Dad )?

good luck

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-16-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM
I know it won't be a big difference. I have a SCT programmer for my mustang because I had to get it dyno tuned after new cams, but I don't expect nearly the same effect. I know it won't bump me 50hp and 10mpg (or some outrageous numbers people seem to believe from hype). That's not the reason we're looking for one.

The truck is in excellent mechanical shape. Maintenance was kept up and any problems were promptly fixed (the correct way). It's paid off and we both have another vehicle (my mustang and his tundra), so something going wrong with it really isn't a major deal, although we would like to avoid it.

I think he wants a little better economy on the 500+ mile round trip to the camp (which is all interstate). I would like a better tune for when I'm pulling the loaded down trailer (with 4 wheeler) to the camp. It really starts to show a little weakness when we get into the "hilly" part of I55 (Mississippi state line on north). I'm hoping a custom tune will help it out in those areas. We're not looking for "high performance", just some modest improvements.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by silenceikillyou
I know it won't be a big difference. I have a SCT programmer for my mustang because I had to get it dyno tuned after new cams, but I don't expect nearly the same effect. I know it won't bump me 50hp and 10mpg (or some outrageous numbers people seem to believe from hype). That's not the reason we're looking for one.

The truck is in excellent mechanical shape. Maintenance was kept up and any problems were promptly fixed (the correct way). It's paid off and we both have another vehicle (my mustang and his tundra), so something going wrong with it really isn't a major deal, although we would like to avoid it.

I think he wants a little better economy on the 500+ mile round trip to the camp (which is all interstate). I would like a better tune for when I'm pulling the loaded down trailer (with 4 wheeler) to the camp. It really starts to show a little weakness when we get into the "hilly" part of I55 (Mississippi state line on north). I'm hoping a custom tune will help it out in those areas. We're not looking for "high performance", just some modest improvements.
Roger that.

Request a tow-specific tune - something with improvements in part-throttle torque and shift strategy changes to match. This will also be a great daily-driver tune.

Again, being a 2V, you will only really see tangible improvements running 91+ octane.

And once more - there is NO mileage guarantee written or implied - so please don't count on one - YYMV, especially towing.

Good luck

MGD

Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd give MPT and 5star a call, I have both and they are excellent. I'd give the nod to MPT for customer service...which is priceless. The transmission tuning "should" help when towing as much or more so than the power increase. Definitely get one 87 octane tow tune and the rest 91/93 octane tuning, it's worth it. Report back please, would love to hear yer impressions.

*MPT is a forum sponsor (discount!!) and usually responds promptly to private messages.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM
repoooost

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I have a 2002 5.4 and I'm very happy with my Superchips program. I bought it from a site member for a discount. It was new but he traded his truck before he used it. It added an estimated 20 hp with the 87 octane tune. It also improved the throttle response very noticeably and improved the gas mileage a little. It has the 87 tune, tow tune, and high octane tune. I've only tried the 87 octane tune and I am happy with it. I tried dorking with the transmission shifts and then put it back to stock. I'm really happy with it.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I have a 2002 5.4 and I'm very happy with my Superchips program. I bought it from a site member for a discount. It was new but he traded his truck before he used it. It added an estimated 20 hp with the 87 octane tune. It also improved the throttle response very noticeably and improved the gas mileage a little. It has the 87 tune, tow tune, and high octane tune. I've only tried the 87 octane tune and I am happy with it. I tried dorking with the transmission shifts and then put it back to stock. I'm really happy with it.
Good morning;

Unfortunately that 'estimate' is a bit high - it's closer to 10 hp canned - a smidge more custom , and a corresponding increase in torque - which is what you really need here and is what you are really going to 'feel'.

Unlike a 3V, 2v's do not respond as well to tuning on 87 octane - differences in heads, VCT, and engine managmentcapabilities are the reason.

The tranny however Is another matter - and those improvements stemming from custom calibrations are amazing, easily worth the cost of the tune alone.

I agree with Cheef - get a 87 tow tune, for DD and 'bad gas' situations ( although, the stock tune will do that duty in a pinch. But to maximize the investment you need a high octaen tow (and perf/econ) tunes as well.

Be sure to ask yer tunin' feller of choice just how much tow capacity each tune has - they are NOT all the same depending on tuning shop. Very important.

Good luck!

MGD

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Good morning;

Unfortunately that 'estimate' is a bit high - it's closer to 10 hp canned - a smidge more custom , and a corresponding increase in torque - which is what you really need here and is what you are really going to 'feel'.

Unlike a 3V, 2v's do not respond as well to tuning on 87 octane - differences in heads, VCT, and engine managmentcapabilities are the reason.

The tranny however Is another matter - and those improvements stemming from custom calibrations are amazing, easily worth the cost of the tune alone.

I agree with Cheef - get a 87 tow tune, for DD and 'bad gas' situations ( although, the stock tune will do that duty in a pinch. But to maximize the investment you need a high octaen tow (and perf/econ) tunes as well.

Be sure to ask yer tunin' feller of choice just how much tow capacity each tune has - they are NOT all the same depending on tuning shop. Very important.

Good luck!

MGD
Sorry, but you are wrong! For my truck it added every bit of 20hp. This 2002 F150 5.4 Scab 4x4 was slower than the 2000 5.4 Scab 4x4 I used to have. I don't know if they were detuned in 2002 to try to get the emissions lower or what but i got those 20hp. I am a 69 year old degreed engineer and car guy and I'm used to dealing with facts and those are the facts for my truck with the superchips.

I also have a 2005 Magnum with the 5.7L hemi. I installed the superchips program in it. It was advertised to give 12 hp and 15 ft lbs more torque and that felt like what it delivered. The superchips did much more for my truck than it did for the Magnum.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
oh how those "seat of the pants" dynos are tried and so very true....

Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
oh how those "seat of the pants" dynos are tried and so very true....
Believe what you will. I don't care. But, don't pretend you know more than I do about my truck.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Show me the money!

errr, I mean the dyno sheet. I think that's what they call them thangs with all them numbers and lines on them.

I've done some engineering in my time but none involving butt dyno engineering.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by cheef
Show me the money!

I've done some engineering in my time but none involving butt dyno engineering.
Some engineers are only good at doing calculations and have no practical application skills or the ability to use good engineering judgement.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Dyno test are fun to look at but load the tune and put your foot to the floor and get the real results. Lol

Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by Eagle0971
Dyno test are fun to look at but load the tune and put your foot to the floor and get the real results. Lol
Okay, I'll "floor it" next time I drive and report back.

Originally Posted by Roadie
Some engineers are only good at doing calculations and have no practical application skills or the ability to use good engineering judgement.
I fit the "have no practical application skills or the ability to use good engineering judgement" category.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Looking for a tuner