Just ordered a MPT SCT

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The site's "tried em all" tune guy, cheef, has absolutely RAVED about how great MPT's race tune for his 2010 is.

I should've clarified that the programmer would/should provide a bit of the performance gain, and that changing exhaust things for power is a dead end. But having good cats to breathe through helps for sure as well!

Last edited by KMAC0694; 01-14-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
The site's "tried em all" tune guy, cheef, has absolutely RAVED about how great MPT's race tune for his 2010 is.

I should've clarified that the programmer would/should provide a bit of the performance gain, and that changing exhaust things for power is a dead end. But having good cats to breathe through helps for sure as well!
Yeah I understand that. I will say that when we removed the cats they both sound like they had pieces of something rattling around in there so that cant possibly help.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Got the tunes....loading now....will update...wooohooo.

Last edited by rfinger; 01-14-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 AM

Cool! I hope it's a big difference from the canned tunes!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
BSL
Thumbs up Mpt

You'll be happy with the MPT tunes over stock. I've only been running the 87 economy tune for a little over 3 months but I've been very satisfied. Don't know my exact mileage before since I had 35s on and my speedo/odo were way off, but from my estimates on mileage using mile markers to get a correction factor I was in the 11-13 mpg range before the tuner and have averaged 14-15 over the past 3 months. I will caveat this by saying the fact that I still have the stock 3.55 gears and drive about 20 miles to work at 60 mph probably puts my truck at about the optimum trip for my truck (02 f150 w/ 5.4L).

Bit the bullet last week and filled with premium and the 91 economy tune to see what kind of difference that makes before I go on a big road trip this weekend. So far just based on the mileage through the first half I'd have to say it will be better, but never can tell until that low fuel light comes on and you pull up to the pump.

I know you're not talking economy tunes, but if they can do those well (which I would think are harder) they should be able to do the performance stuff just as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Well so far I (drove to work this morning mostly < 40mph) it feels like a new truck. Instant throttle response and seems like there is a great deal more torque and it even sounds different. I hope that I get a chance soon to really test it out. As for the mpg increase I hope for the most part it stays the same as I was getting. I will say that I was told by MPT that if I drive it gently that the tune I have now does better than the stock for economy.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
I got it warmed up and got to drive it at speed during lunch. All I can say is wow. The difference and the aggressiveness is simply amazing. It doesnt feel like Im driving my truck any longer. The exhaust note under load is quite menacing now. I have absolutely no idea what kind of MPG I will be getting but I have a feeling it will be less due to the fact that i will have more of a lead foot now.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 AM

I wish I noticed a difference that dramatic with mine dammit! That's awesome

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish I noticed a difference that dramatic with mine dammit! That's awesome
Then something is amiss. The difference should be immediately apparent, and substantive.

Granted, larger tires and under-gearing do not help.

Did you datalog? Did you discuss this alleged lack of improvement with the tuner and asked for a tune revision (aided by said logging)? Don't know if yer tuning shop places time limits on tune review/revision - most do.

Did you change that fuel filter yet? Did you not say you have a laundry list of unaddressed PM items? Start there.

MGD

Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Then something is amiss. The difference should be immediately apparent, and substantive.

Granted, larger tires and under-gearing do not help.

Did you datalog? Did you discuss this alleged lack of improvement with the tuner and asked for a tune revision (aided by said logging)? Don't know if yer tuning shop places time limits on tune review/revision - most do.

Did you change that fuel filter yet? Did you not say you have a laundry list of unaddressed PM items? Start there.

MGD
I think I'm just hard to please and I don't fall victim to placebo effect. I drove the truck with my larger tires for maybe 2 months before I did the exhaust work and tunes. With long tubes and tunes loaded at the same time, there was barely any difference for me, besides shift points. 93 perf tune had a little more top end, but that's it. I haven't datalogged and can't tell whether I didn't get a benefit or I just don't notice the small difference(s) as much as the rest of you.

I'd love to have had someone else do a before and after with my truck, so I can see if it's just me or something is actually wrong.

I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, need to have a driveway, garage, and proper tools again before I mess with that. Other than some regular 90k "scheduled" maintenance coming up, there isn't really anything else it should be in need of that I've been neglecting. 90k includes coolant flush and "injector service" (whatever the hell that means) and one or two other things, IIRC. Fuel filter and a trans fluid change (not full, obviously), along with the rear diff fluid should all be done relatively soon. I'll probably wait a little on the latter two.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM
I think I'm just hard to please and I don't fall victim to placebo effect. I drove the truck with my larger tires for maybe 2 months before I did the exhaust work and tunes. With long tubes and tunes loaded at the same time, there was barely any difference for me, besides shift points. 93 perf tune had a little more top end, but that's it. I haven't datalogged and can't tell whether I didn't get a benefit or I just don't notice the small difference(s) as much as the rest of you.

I'd love to have had someone else do a before and after with my truck, so I can see if it's just me or something is actually wrong.

I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, need to have a driveway, garage, and proper tools again before I mess with that. Other than some regular 90k "scheduled" maintenance coming up, there isn't really anything else it should be in need of that I've been neglecting. 90k includes coolant flush and "injector service" (whatever the hell that means) and one or two other things, IIRC. Fuel filter and a trans fluid change (not full, obviously), along with the rear diff fluid should all be done relatively soon. I'll probably wait a little on the latter two.
I reiterate - you can get an easy ~35+ft-lb of torque under the curve at the low end with good tuning on a 3V - especially with 93 octane. It's not a small difference at all - you will feel it. The stock tuning never realizes even the claimed factory 300 hp @ the crank due to very low shift points. This too, with good tuning is fixed as shift point now should be 5400/52-5400/4800, along with a host of reduced delays in the strategy. Something is amiss, and unless you pursue instrumenting the truck and feeding back some data you will never know. It's one of the most important benefits of custom tuning and the handheld's capabilities, and yer not leveraging it.

You can do the fuel filter in five minutes in a parking lot - drop a plastic sheet, drive over it, use the line disconnect tool ( which you can rent'/borrow). Some nitrile gloves and a pair of safety glasses and some rags. No excuse here. And, I thought you worked at a dealership? It should be cake for you!

Datalogging is probably too late given how long it's a been (?). You need a wideband or a facility to measure same for it to really capture everything required.

As fer before/after objectivity sanity-check - you can do that yerself. Find a deserted stretch of smooth straight road. Set up yer datalog parameters using a handheld passthrough to a laptop running LiveLink. List is here: http://vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78. Flash to stock (which will clear ADAPTIVE , not KAM). Rip off a WOT run to 60 or 80 mph, banging into the limiter @ the shift points (be safe). Save the file. Flash to perf tune. Do another run. Save file. Dump to Excel. Compare. If you see little difference - and it'll be real obvious - you have a problem. Oh - have a passenger do the actual log start/stop and juggling the hardware. You need to focus on the driving.

Rear diff - every 30K /3 years. As per Labnerd. Again - cake to do. Especially if you work at a dealer.

Priorities - post less and maintain more. They teaching the finer nuances of procrastination in school these days?

Being a truck enthusiast connotes certain responsibilities - proper (even ****) maintenance is one of them; otherwise yer just another sheep driving a cage.

Uhhh ... did I just use 'sheep' and '****' in the same sentence?

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-18-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: CORRECTION - Clear Adaptive, not KAM via reflash
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Being a truck enthusiast connotes certain responsibilities - proper (even ****) maintenance is one of them; otherwise yer just another sheep driving a cage.

MGD
Yes...yes you did...sounds like a freudian slip lol

Old 01-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by rfinger
Yes...yes you did...sounds like a freudian slip lol
I suspect it's due to the fact that, everytime I have to deal with KMAC, I get this subliminal image

MGD

Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 PM
I think im going to get the race tune from MPT for my 5.0.
Torn between MPT and 5 star.
MPT claims 50 hp/tq (almost) with CAI and tune -maybe exhaust.
5star barley has that with the boss intake from what ive read.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 PM
so the 5.0 should be right at 400 hp/tq at the crank

Quick Reply: Just ordered a MPT SCT