Just ordered a MPT SCT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DigbyHD
so the 5.0 should be right at 400 hp/tq at the crank
Here we go again.

A DD truck does not live by peak numbers - and comparing dyno charts is useless. You are looking for 'area under the curve' improvements - ALL the good, experienced shops will deliver that.

Dint we cover this already? My fingers hurt!

MGD

Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
I reiterate - you can get an easy ~35+ft-lb of torque under the curve at the low end with good tuning on a 3V - especially with 93 octane. It's not a small difference at all - you will feel it. The stock tuning never realizes even the claimed factory 300 hp @ the crank due to very low shift points. This too, with good tuning is fixed as shift point now should be 5400/52-5400/4800, along with a host of reduced delays in the strategy. Something is amiss, and unless you pursue instrumenting the truck and feeding back some data you will never know. It's one of the most important benefits of custom tuning and the handheld's capabilities, and yer not leveraging it.

You can do the fuel filter in five minutes in a parking lot - drop a plastic sheet, drive over it, use the line disconnect tool ( which you can rent'/borrow). Some nitrile gloves and a pair of safety glasses and some rags. No excuse here. And, I thought you worked at a dealership? It should be cake for you!

Datalogging is probably too late given how long it's a been (?). You need a wideband or a facility to measure same for it to really capture everything required.

As fer before/after objectivity sanity-check - you can do that yerself. Find a deserted stretch of smooth straight road. Set up yer datalog parameters using a handheld passthrough to a laptop running LiveLink. List is here: http://vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78. Flash to stock (which will clear KAM). Rip off a WOT run to 60 or 80 mph, banging into the limiter @ the shift points (be safe). Save the file. Flash to perf tune. Do another run. Save file. Dump to Excel. Compare. If you see little difference - and it'll be real obvious - you have a problem. Oh - have a passenger do the actual log start/stop and juggling the hardware. You need to focus on the driving.

Rear diff - every 30K /3 years. As per Labnerd. Again - cake to do. Especially if you work at a dealer.

Priorities - post less and maintain more. They teaching the finer nuances of procrastination in school these days?

Being a truck enthusiast connotes certain responsibilities - proper (even ****) maintenance is one of them; otherwise yer just another sheep driving a cage.

Uhhh ... did I just use 'sheep' and '****' in the same sentence?

MGD
I still doubt the real numbers of tuning, but perhaps something is wrong. I may do a stock vs. tuned WOT pull, I've thought about that before. Thanks for the link and info. I ain't working at the dealership while I'm at school! I did work 70 hours a week during for a month during Christmas though, that sucked. I'm not a service tech though, so that job doesn't contribute much to my wrench-turning skills As for procrastination, I teach myself that, but the answer is still yes

You have a way with words

Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digby don't compare numbers shop to shop. MPT is in the middle of Florida while 5* is in South Carolina, I've been to both states and depending on the time of year the weather (temps/humidity) are vastly different. Not to mention different dyno brands. As MGD stated "under the curve" is what you will feel. I remember diggin' through VMP's 4.6 dyno graphs a couple of years ago and Justin was getting over 50hp on a 4.6 3v under the curve and about the same amount of torque. Final dyno numbers indicated around 20hp/tq.

Not to beat a dead horse but the transmission tuning is IMO worth the money in itself. Faster, crisper shifts, better TQ lock up, less hunting, holds gears much better etc etc. I would bet anyone that if you were to just tune the transmission and leave the motor alone you would swear you picked up some power, when in reality you didn't.

My experience: MPT 91 tow vs 5* 91 tow - I like the 5* a little better. I'm sure I could work with MPT and make them equal but I'm just not inclined. MPT has been great with me as I've stated before. I have not run 5*'s 93 performance tune but I can say 100% that MPT's 93 race tune is far stronger than any of my tuning to date. I just can't tow with the 93 race tune.

So call MPT and get the 93 race tune and enjoy. A friend has the 87 MPT race tune (with street shifting option) on his 5.0 and it's sweet, the 93 would probably blow it into the weeds however. MPT does some trick stuff with that tow/haul button, call him and ask :-)

Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Here we go again.

A DD truck does not live by peak numbers - and comparing dyno charts is useless. You are looking for 'area under the curve' improvements - ALL the good, experienced shops will deliver that.

Dint we cover this already? My fingers hurt!

MGD
LOL YES we did.
Just going of the graphs. I understand id have to dyno my truck, than do the modifications, than dyno it again on a similar day( weather) and at the same dyno with the same tank of gas, and probably some other variables to see what the gains were...
Thanks for setting me strait.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by cheef
Digby don't compare numbers shop to shop. MPT is in the middle of Florida while 5* is in South Carolina, I've been to both states and depending on the time of year the weather (temps/humidity) are vastly different. Not to mention different dyno brands. As MGD stated "under the curve" is what you will feel. I remember diggin' through VMP's 4.6 dyno graphs a couple of years ago and Justin was getting over 50hp on a 4.6 3v under the curve and about the same amount of torque. Final dyno numbers indicated around 20hp/tq.

Not to beat a dead horse but the transmission tuning is IMO worth the money in itself. Faster, crisper shifts, better TQ lock up, less hunting, holds gears much better etc etc. I would bet anyone that if you were to just tune the transmission and leave the motor alone you would swear you picked up some power, when in reality you didn't.

My experience: MPT 91 tow vs 5* 91 tow - I like the 5* a little better. I'm sure I could work with MPT and make them equal but I'm just not inclined. MPT has been great with me as I've stated before. I have not run 5*'s 93 performance tune but I can say 100% that MPT's 93 race tune is far stronger than any of my tuning to date. I just can't tow with the 93 race tune.

So call MPT and get the 93 race tune and enjoy. A friend has the 87 MPT race tune (with street shifting option) on his 5.0 and it's sweet, the 93 would probably blow it into the weeds however. MPT does some trick stuff with that tow/haul button, call him and ask :-)
Thanks for confirming that the 93 race is sweet. I think ill be getting it soon. Just after my intake and exhaust.
And what exactly does he do with the tow haul? lol

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a friends 5.0 he runs a race tune but once he puts the tow/haul on it changes to an economy tune. I don't know of anybody else doing that!!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by cheef
On a friends 5.0 he runs a race tune but once he puts the tow/haul on it changes to an economy tune. I don't know of anybody else doing that!!
Sounds great!!

Quick Reply: Just ordered a MPT SCT