New Motor with old Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Motor with old Tuner question

I have 2005 F150 5.4 and had to have the motor replaced at 92K. Nothing to do with my tuner as far as I know just bad luck. My question is I just had a new motor installed and just got my truck back. My tuner is an Edge with Custom tunes by Bill back in 2007 I believe. Being they didn't have to replace any of the electrical stuff/PCM I should be able to just plug it back up and be good with my custom tunes again correct? I may wait a bit till the motor breaks in first however.

Thanks!

Last edited by F150FXOnline; 01-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by F150FXOnline
I have 2005 F150 5.4 and had to have the motor replaced at 92K. Nothing to do with my tuner as far as I know just bad luck. My question is I just had a new motor installed and just got my truck back. My tuner is an Edge with Custom tunes by Bill back in 2007 I believe. Being they didn't have to replace any of the electrical stuff/PCM I should be able to just plug it back up and be good with my custom tunes again correct? I may wait a bit till the motor breaks in first however.

Thanks!
Hi.

They *may* have reflashed the PCM with updates.

To check - use the programmer to pull the strategy code and compare it to the one you submitted to order yer custom tuning.

If it's different, you WILL need all-new custom tunes to be written. you can reload and use the canned tunes in the meantime while you wait.

If it's the same, may as well just go ahead and use them - waiting won't matter. Either way, you need to correct for yer tire size.

CAVEAT: I see you have a K&N Washoobi - that will have to come off and the OEM intake reinstalled, ASAP - yer tunes were written with a MAF transfer function for that specific intake - it'll be risky running without those tunes if the strategycode has changed and you need to run stock or canned tuning ( which cannot correct the MAF skew the Washoobi is causing ).

How's the truck running?

Can you confirm whether or not they reused yer existing injectors? Did they offer any additional info on the nature of the problem with the old motor?

Good luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-13-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Yes I still have my email to check on numbers on my PCM for the custom tuning. Ill double check it first.

As far as the K&N its still on the truck and so far the truck seems to be running really good. I looked over the whole truck and checked for leaks, low fluids ect. They seem to of did a good job from what I can tell. I had the K&N on with the canned tunes with no issues before I got my custom tunes. I do know back in the day others had issues but I never did.

I cant tell from looking on the truck but was looking on my recpiet with all the stuff they replaced and nowhere does it say they replaced any injectors. It also says they tested the injectors and they were ALL good. I wonder if I took it somewhere to look at them if they could tell if any were replaced?

Thanks Agian for all your help and reponses!!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Yes I still have my email to check on numbers on my PCM for the custom tuning. Ill double check it first.

As far as the K&N its still on the truck and so far the truck seems to be running really good. I looked over the whole truck and checked for leaks, low fluids ect. They seem to of did a good job from what I can tell. I had the K&N on with the canned tunes with no issues before I got my custom tunes. I do know back in the day others had issues but I never did.

I cant tell from looking on the truck but was looking on my recpiet with all the stuff they replaced and nowhere does it say they replaced any injectors. It also says they tested the injectors and they were ALL good. I wonder if I took it somewhere to look at them if they could tell if any were replaced?

Thanks Agian for all your help and reponses!!
Hi.

Sorry - that means nothing - a CEL isn't always set while still running lean. Yer butt certainly can't tell either. ONLY instrumented direct measurement can expose this issue. And many folks have - and yep, it's real. ( See remedial info below).

Why do you think Bill (or ANY custom tuning shop) goes through the enormous amount of effort to test and rewrite the dang transfer functions fer different intakes to begin with, if it wasn't issue?

Some remedial reading is in yer future

https://www.f150online.com/forums/3912951-post27.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4739726-post9.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...tock-tune.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ir-intake.html

On the subject of injectors: well if'n it were my truck I would replace every single one of them with the current revision injectors, ASAP. While they may in fact have tested 'good' now, nothin says they won't fail at any time - they ARE within the lot of suspect injectors, remember. Comparing the cost to what you just paid fer a 'new' motor, it seems to me, at any rate, to be cheap insurance.

Yer truck, yer money - but what yer doing isn't the best for it.

MGD out.

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-13-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
MGD:

I had the K&N on with the canned tunes with no issues before I got my custom tunes.
I am assuming he had the custom tunes written for the K&N..........

OP please clarify.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by glc
MGD:

I am assuming he had the custom tunes written for the K&N..........

OP please clarify.
Yep. and I stated that IF the strategies still match, run the custom tuning

IF they don't, the canned / OEM tune should not be used unless the stock intake is reinstated. Until new tunes are supplied. Then back on the Washoobi goes.

What did I miss?

MGD

Old 01-13-2014, 02:09 PM
I dont see a PCM flash/updates to a differant HEX number. Updates may have been applied but dont see it changing the HEX Code.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
I dont see a PCM flash/updates to a differant HEX number. Updates may have been applied but dont see it changing the HEX Code.
Yes, they do. IT won't change the BOX code (the sticker on the PCM - 4-character code), but the internal software revision of the calibration - the Hex code - WILL be different. And yer existing tunes will be useless.

Why do you think reflashes freak out fellers wif custom tunin' so much ?

So - do yours match, or not? Sorry - not clear above whether you already checked.

From the PHP website:

"For Current Gryphon Customers: If your PCM is reflashed to a new HEX code -- with or without your permission -- your custom calibrations WILL NOT work with your Gryphon. A $30 fee will apply to rewrite all of your custom calibrations to work with your new HEX code. If you would like to request this service, please fill out the appropriate order form".

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-13-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If he hooks the unit up, I don't think it will even recognize its hooked up unless they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If he hooks the unit up, I don't think it will even recognize its hooked up unless they are the same.

Hmmm .. I've got a locked Evo I use as extra gauges, and it will still pull my hex code, on an SCT custom-tuned PCM.

MGD

Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I guess I'm wrong but I thought that when Bill wrote a custom tune, it would recognize that strategy only.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I guess I'm wrong but I thought that when Bill wrote a custom tune, it would recognize that strategy only.

You are likely still right - it's just that the process of pulling info (read-only) from the PCM should not require strategy matching - yer just reading stuff. As long as the PCM itself is compatible.

You can even check fer CELs in this manner. Just can't do anything else.

Guess we won't know for sure until the OP tries it. Would the work order state PCM was flashed?

I'm tellin' ya, those dang injectors keep givin' me the *******, ever since Patrick mentioned it here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/5048925-post47.html

MGD

Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Put tuner on tonight and is working great with the custom tunes! Haven't had it on the past 3 days till tonight. It still amazes me how much of a difference it makes from stock!

Now I need new tires and talking about being broke!

Quick Reply: New Motor with old Tuner question