abnormally hard shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abnormally hard shifts?

I installed a superchip, and so far I love the gains that it has given me(seat of the pants feeling). I like the faster firmer shifts when accelerating from an intersection, but when I am cruising at around 60 or 65 and hit it so that I can pass somebody it seems to shift real hard at that speed and you can really feel the truck jerk. Is this normal and just something that I need to get used to, or is this an indication of a problem? Anybody else experienceing this? Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2001, 04:07 PM
I have the same problem. I just recently installed a Superchip, but I noticed the problem long before I put the chip in. I was hoping that the chip would help out this hard shift but I guess not.

Old 08-29-2001, 07:19 PM
Be glad you have that!

My fathers truck shifts sloppy and too easy...

Old 08-30-2001, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi tlocke,

It sounds normal, as during the downshift we have removed that nasty 1.5 second delay and the power-robbing transitional spark retard that is part of the soft-shift strategy, and that is going to result in a considerably more positive engagement during downshift when you punch it at 65 mph like that.

Give us a call if you want to go over that in detail, we'll be happy to go over that with you.

Old 08-30-2001, 06:04 PM
Thanks Mike. I figured that it was probably normal. I guess I just wanted to be re-assured for piece of mind.

Old 08-31-2001, 07:09 PM
Mike,

Remember when our truck was going 45 down the road and suddenly downshifted on its own?

Today, when I was driving with my father, when I floored it from 20mph, when it shifted, it was hard!!! The whole truck jerked!

Old 08-31-2001, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking hard shifts

Wish my truck jerked when it shifted

Old 09-01-2001, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi tolcke,

You're very welcome, and if you'd like to go over that in more detail, please do feel free to give me a call, ok? Not being there with you to actually *feel* that with you, I''m having to make a bit of a "judgement call" on this, from the standpoint that we know from those changes that it will downshift more firmly than stock. If you feel that it really is abnormally hard, please don't hesitate to give us a quick call, so we can go over that verbally just to double-check. We're always happy to go over that with you & address any concerns you may have. It sounds normal to me, but if you have any reservations, just give us a quick shout & we'll go over this with you.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 09-01-2001 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Fast,

Yes, I do remember when you mentioned that, and at that time I remember telling you that something was wrong, it should never just downshift on it's own like that. That should only happen in response to increased load, like when going up a hill or mountain, etc., or in response to throttle demand.

Did your Dad ever get that all checked out? I remember that you had the vehicle in the shop from your emails, but I don't remember what, if anything, was said about the transmission behaviour, or if any repairs were made.

Old 09-01-2001, 02:04 PM
It hasnt happened since, so we never brought it up.

Old 09-01-2001, 04:14 PM
Hard shifts?

tlocke, you think your truck is shifting hard, try the the firmist shift, Superchip has. It will put your butt back into the seat, also alittle head snap
Works great when towing, plus I believe it helps gas milage. JMO...

Old 09-02-2001, 08:50 PM
what this chip

What is the firmshift, is it a kind of chip or somthing or are you talking about the regular superchip?!?

Old 09-04-2001, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi RedFlareside2000,

If you wouldn't mind a response from me, there is no such thing as a "firmshift" Superchip per se.

I think what Dogcam was trying to convey is that if we do the *firmest* shift we can in the Superchip program, a custom program specifically for the firmest possible shift, it can be a neck-snapper in some vehicles.

He isn't talking about the "standard" Superchip for each computer code in these F-150's, as we don't make them shift that hard unless a customer specifically requests that. I think he's talking about what type of shift feel you can get in a custom program for the firmest shifts we can do.

I hope Dogcam will correct me if I misinterpreted him!

Old 09-04-2001, 08:22 PM
hey a question for you

Hey I ve noticed a few guys having superchips but different chip codes and they do differnt things, ie shifting, what options are there and what is the standad chip have it set up for and what is the price difference in thease chips, custom vrs the standard. And if they do have a costum group, do they have anything to help out in the lower rpm range, im rather slow in my 4.2 v6 under 3000 rpms...? Please send as much info as possible im almost sold to get the chip, now i just need to decide witch one.
thanx.

Old 09-05-2001, 11:19 AM
Correct

Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi RedFlareside2000,

If you wouldn't mind a response from me, there is no such thing as a "firmshift" Superchip per se.

I think what Dogcam was trying to convey is that if we do the *firmest* shift we can in the Superchip program, a custom program specifically for the firmest possible shift, it can be a neck-snapper in some vehicles.

He isn't talking about the "standard" Superchip for each computer code in these F-150's, as we don't make them shift that hard unless a customer specifically requests that. I think he's talking about what type of shift feel you can get in a custom program for the firmest shifts we can do.

I hope Dogcam will correct me if I misinterpreted him!
I just read this topic, hard to find 5 pages into "the topic of the day"...
I "ll go along with Mike on his statement of custom shift vs the standard superchip program. One thing, if anyone gets this custom (firm) shift, you'll have to live with it..so make sure you what it.

Quick Reply: abnormally hard shifts?