Best 92 Octane......

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 92 Octane......

I want start by saying that this is in no way a reflection on my SuperChip, just an opinion poll of sorts. I live Columbus, Ohio and we have more gas stations than the law should allow. I notice when I run Sunoco 92 octane my truck runs and sounds fine, but when I run let's say Super America 92, my truck has some piston slap. I am not saying one is better than the other in general applications, but for up SuperChip users I guess it makes some difference. What "national" gas stations have you other SuperChip users noticed to give the best results and more to the point in Ohio? AGAIN, I do not want anyone to infer that I am saying anything negative about my SuperChip, because I think it is the gas and not my favorite mod . I am turning to the board versus Tech Support because I do not think this is a SuperChip problem, and a reprogram may not be the best answer. And oh yeah, speaking of 92 Octane, on my way home from the gym tonight I notice the price of 92 Octane was $1.92..WOW!!!!

Old 08-29-2001, 09:47 PM
Question this might be bad

I put 92 oct in my truck and it doesnt have the chip in yet, I wanted to see if there would be a change, i didnt find one, but I heard it could be bad for the engine?!?

Old 08-30-2001, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 12vRep,

Good to see you again! (by the way, just a quick note, I didn't get any response to the last couple of emails we've sent you. Let me know if you'd like me to re-send)

What you found is very typical of what can happen with an inferior quality of gasoline. You're absolutely right, it's not a Superchip issue, it's a fuel quality issue.

Even though a fuel may have a certain octane rating on the pump, it can still either vary from that octane number in some cases, but more often than not, it's a matter of the actual energy content not being sufficient to support those conditions in the combustion chamber, and this is *exactly* why we say to use only the better quality fuels.

Better fuels have better additive packages, and those additives can indeed have a significant effect on energy content, and thus performance & mileage as well.

This will clear up just as soon as you get some decent fuel in the tank. Steer clear of Exxon and any of thw off-brand or no-names fuels like this last fuel you used. Stick with fuels like Texaco, Amoco, Citgo, Shell (in the East), Sunoco, and out West, Chevron, and you won't have those kinds of problems.

What you experienced was not "piston slap", it was detonation, and specifically, pre-ignition. Put good gas in the tank, stay away from the cheap stuff and you won't have that.

Good luck!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 09-01-2001 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:53 PM
Thanks Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the response. I know now not all 92 is the same. I will be filling up tomorrow with some good ol' reliable Sunoco 94, and that will solve all matters of that nasty problem. The odd thing though is this, I have not filled up in almost 2 weeks with this crap gas. If I had the "good" stuff in it I would have been on my second tank already. That could be due to the concrete right shoe I seem to wear when my truck is running prime. Thanks again for the response and check your e-mail on the other matter.

Old 08-31-2001, 12:53 PM
.....TEXACO...........

Thanks, Mike!!!

Dan

Old 09-01-2001, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 12Vrep,

I just went back and re-read my response to you, and I have to sheepishly admit that it's wonder anyone could understand it with all the typo's it contained, I must not have checked it before posting. Nothing like looking intelligent, eh?

Thanks for your post about that experience with that fuel, those kinds of posts help others to see that there is indeed a difference in fuel quality, it always pays to use the best fuels. In the rush of life, that isn't always possible, sometimes you just have to get gas where you are.

Thanks very much for your email, & have a great holiday weekend!

Old 09-02-2001, 12:27 AM
Being in the military, I can get fuel on post AT LEAST $.10 cheaper. I'm not sure about the quality, so I just go to Texaco (based on an earlier post by Mike). Is there a way to find out how good, or bad the gas on post is? Incidently, I've always used post gas before the superchip and never had any problems.

Old 09-04-2001, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi baddgene,

Well, as long as your performance feels strong and you aren't getting any detonation (pinging) on the base gas, about the only thing you can really do to compare further is to stay on top of your gas mileage and your idle quality.

If you have been tracking your gas mileage on a consistent basis, then you can compare the mileage you get on that base gas to what you're getting with that Texaco, to make a rough comparison of the relative energy content. The gas giving the best mileage under the same driving conditions is generally going to have the higher energy content. I rather doubt that your base gas will have the quality & quantity of detergent & other additives that Texaco has, so I wouldn't expect it to be of equal quality to Texaco. You may find it's good enough to use, however, you'll have to judge that as best you can, & I hope this info helps just a bit, I know it's not much.

Quick Reply: Best 92 Octane......