Edge Evolution CS Custom Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Edge Evolution CS Custom Question

I'm very sorry if I could of searched this out, I tried, to no avail. - I was getting mixed results.

I have an Edge Evolution CS, I know 0 on custom tunes or anything of that nature - Ideally.. I just enjoy the fact it changed my shifts, faster and more firm.

With that being said, I have a 2006 F-150 Supercrew, 2WD. The programmer is set to 'tow' rather than lvl 1 shift or whatever. When going from 2nd to 3rd (I think it's 2nd to 3rd) it seems to hang at high RPM's till it shifts. Everything else seems spot on.

If I select I want Tow Mode, but select custom mode and just change the 1 setting for 2nd to 3rd timing. Does everything else default to what the tow mode would originally have?

I only ask this cause I don't want to go in changing things blindly.

Also if you have any insights what I can do for my truck via this programmer, or what I should look into doing. That'll be grateful. Currently running 35x12.5x17 tires, K&N air, single side exhaust system, factory gears.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wOrker
I'm very sorry if I could of searched this out, I tried, to no avail. - I was getting mixed results.

I have an Edge Evolution CS, I know 0 on custom tunes or anything of that nature - Ideally.. I just enjoy the fact it changed my shifts, faster and more firm.

With that being said, I have a 2006 F-150 Supercrew, 2WD. The programmer is set to 'tow' rather than lvl 1 shift or whatever. When going from 2nd to 3rd (I think it's 2nd to 3rd) it seems to hang at high RPM's till it shifts. Everything else seems spot on.

If I select I want Tow Mode, but select custom mode and just change the 1 setting for 2nd to 3rd timing. Does everything else default to what the tow mode would originally have?

I only ask this cause I don't want to go in changing things blindly.

Also if you have any insights what I can do for my truck via this programmer, or what I should look into doing. That'll be grateful. Currently running 35x12.5x17 tires, K&N air, single side exhaust system, factory gears.

Thanks in advance!
Hi and Welcome!

It's possible yer rev limit it too low for yer shift points. Symptoms sound familiar in that respect.

See: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...g-problem.html

It is crucial that yer GR ( gear ratio) and TS ( tire size) is accurate or the shifts will be off with unexpected results.

How are you entering and confirming those settings? The device won't do that by itself. Have you made any adjustments (and I do hope you are recording everything you are doing in a notebook ).

IMPORTANT Tip: https://www.f150online.com/forums/5027834-post12.html

Thanks to Sir Jack.

good luck

MGD

Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Hey!

I read the edge shifting problem, it's definitely not shifting back and forth - but it is delaying the shift. I just 'feel' it should shift sooner.

It seems as if he is running 'Tow' and has made a few custom edits. So that answers that question.

In terms of gear ratio - I have not touched anything in that aspect. My gears are stock so I assume everything it defaults to in term of gears is stock unless otherwise stated.

Tire size I set in the options - but I did notice if I went ahead and did a custom on the Tow, you can define it there as well.

I'll kinda work around what that guy has for his 2nd-3rd and go from there. I suppose it'll take some driving around and trial/error till I get the feel perfect. Also: Notebook. Gotcha!

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey!

I read the edge shifting problem, it's definitely not shifting back and forth - but it is delaying the shift. I just 'feel' it should shift sooner.

It seems as if he is running 'Tow' and has made a few custom edits. So that answers that question.

In terms of gear ratio - I have not touched anything in that aspect. My gears are stock so I assume everything it defaults to in term of gears is stock unless otherwise stated.

Tire size I set in the options - but I did notice if I went ahead and did a custom on the Tow, you can define it there as well.

I'll kinda work around what that guy has for his 2nd-3rd and go from there. I suppose it'll take some driving around and trial/error till I get the feel perfect. Also: Notebook. Gotcha!

Thanks!
Hi.

^^^ Do NOT assume your GR is correct! Always enter it yerself to be certain.

Same with TS ( and account for ~3% 'squish' for more accuracy ).

In each case follow Jack's methods as linked, or it will not be guaranteed that those changes 'stick'.

As stated before - if either of these are off, you will have issues. Hanging is not normal and driving it arund is not the answer. Immediately after a reflash, Adaptive will need to sort things out all over again - but this passes quickly and shifting should be as you'd normally expect it to be with no wonkiness.

good luck

MGD

Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Compare the Edge speed reading to a GPS, if they don't match you don't have gear ratio/tire size set correctly.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Thanks guys for the input, I definitely appreciate it!

In comparison to the actual cluster, the edge seems 1-2 mph off maybe? Or it's just my eye.. cause it's darn close.

Will do the GPS test, ideally I'll just log my gears in. I need accuracy!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks guys for the input, I definitely appreciate it!

In comparison to the actual cluster, the edge seems 1-2 mph off maybe? Or it's just my eye.. cause it's darn close.

Will do the GPS test, ideally I'll just log my gears in. I need accuracy!
The Ford truck speedo is always about 2 mph fast. Built that way. The Edge is accurate if you have all the settings correct. As suggested, compare the Edge with a GPS.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
wOrker - you did not say it this is happening during a "part throttle" (normal driving) upshift or during WOT (Wide Open Throttle) acceleration. From your description, it sounds like this is WOT behavior. Can you tell us which it is? The fix is different for each.

- Jack

Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Wot

Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Wot
OK, then as MGD suggested, the rev limit is probably set too low. As I recall, the default setting was too low on my CTS. I don't think you can change the WOT shift points on the CS/CTS platforms, but if you can, change the 2-3 upshift to 5000 RPM. Set the rev limit to 5500 or 5600. Don't go higher than that though. The rev limit protects the Torque Converter from ballooning.

During a WOT upshift, there is a brief moment when the transmission clutch removes the connection from the engine to the driveshaft, allowing the engine to freewheel, if the rev limit is too low, the shift will not complete, until you back off on the throttle.

I meant to say this before - follow Bluejay's advice on the speedometer. He's absolutely right. When you get the Edge speed to agree with a GPS, your odometer will be accurate.

- Jack

Old 02-10-2014, 04:00 PM

My rev limit is currently set at 6,000.

That's exactly what I'm feeling! When the freewheel is going on I have to let off the gas for a sec, reapply, and then it shifts firmly. But again, my rev limit is set 6,000.. Is it just, off?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
You need to lower the rev limit or you could balloon the torque converter. The published safe limit is 5400, and your shift points need to be at least 400 rpm less than the set limit.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
You need to lower the rev limit or you could balloon the torque converter. The published safe limit is 5400, and your shift points need to be at least 400 rpm less than the set limit.
What he said! The only reason I suggested 5500-5600, is because you are only very briefly at that value and hopefully, you don't normally accelerate that way all the time.

Now, this tells me your WOT shift setting is too high. It should be around 5000 RPM, for the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts. The 3-4 upshift should be lower, maybe around 4600. The torque and HP are beginning to drop off above 5000, so you don't get much by having it shift higher. You'll probably NEVER get it to shift into 4th if you keep the accelerator floored, because there's too much engine load, so I wouldn't even try to do that.

As I said earlier, it was not possible to adjust the WOT shifts on the CS about one or two years ago. Maybe, they've changed the firmware/software now so that you have that option. If so, use the values I recommend. If you can't change them, call Edge - maybe they have something to suggest. If not, just get in the habit of backing off on the throttle briefly to help it shift.

- Jack

Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 PM

Okay, I'll definitely set it lower.. no idea what I was doing.

Also, I never set my air filter into the thing - so I did that.

Also, when I look at the WOT in the custom settings.. it isn't based off RPM - it's based off MPH...? Weird?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Okay, I'll definitely set it lower.. no idea what I was doing.

Also, I never set my air filter into the thing - so I did that.

Also, when I look at the WOT in the custom settings.. it isn't based off RPM - it's based off MPH...? Weird?
THAT's different! Maybe there HAS been a firmware update. Using my style of driving, which is not the most aggressive, I'd probably set the WOT 2-3 upshift point to 75 mph. You can experiment to find what suits you.

The air filter setting is new too. Nothing like that in my unit. But I've never used anything but a stock air filter in my truck.

Since I have custom tunes in my unit, I can't do any firmware updates without wiping them out. Because I'm not having any issues, I'm not doing any updates.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution CS Custom Question