HELP…. Which first. Programmer or Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP…. Which first. Programmer or Exhaust?

Hi Everyone,
First off I have a 2011 F-150 lariat v8 5.0 4x4. The trust is completely stock other than the K&N CAI I put on a week ago. I am simply just trying to help the truck breathe better and get better fuel milage. The power would be nice but not trying to race or anything crazy. Simply wondering if my next step should be a Edge CS Evolution programmer or a Flowmaster catback exhaust. Should I let it breathe better before I screw with the tune? Lookin for some advice. Open to suggestions for better programers or exhausts for my truck… I'm no pro at this stuff. Thanks for the help! Also difference between the Edge CS & CTS….? Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You're wasting your money. The canned tunes in an Edge do nothing for an engine with an aftermarket intake. Get an SCT with custom tunes or a Diablo. As for the exhaust, all it does is sound.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM
hmm ok like I said, no pro at this stuff I will keep trying to research this stuff. I figured exhaust would help. more air coming in not as much going out… like blowing into a glass coke bottle….. kinda difficult. Thank you

Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kmireles343
hmm ok like I said, no pro at this stuff I will keep trying to research this stuff. I figured exhaust would help. more air coming in not as much going out… like blowing into a glass coke bottle….. kinda difficult. Thank you
Hi and Welcome to the site ! You have the misfortune of waking me up from my nap, so now you will have to deal with me, lol.

During yer research, you may find that the POS Fartmaster you are considering is a MORE restrictive exhaust than the stocker. The Fartmaster is a chambered muffler - the stock unit is not. You wish to reduce exhaust gas velocity, scavenging and low-end grunt ... why???

Fartmaster is crap. Period. Wake up folks. Quit spending money on mods that replace already-optimized components and reduce performance rather than enhance it.

For a programmer, go with custom tuning via an SCT device.

www.vmptuning.com
www.5startuning.com
www.morepowertuning.com
www.gopowerhungry.com
www.troyerperformance.com

Recommend you pre-order an X4 - due in a couple weeks. A good custom tune will dwarf the paltry gains of any intake /exhaust combo. It's ALL in the tuning for a N/A truck. So it's wise to focus yer mod $$ there if not going right to a blower. EB's are exempt from this discussion though - totally different animal.

As fer mileage - don;t expect any from these types of mods. That's yer right foot's job to manage, along with exemplary (overused Word of the Month for me, lol) maintenance. And resisting the urge to level/lift the truck and install larger meatballs, bullbars and other assorted drag-enhancing and weight-increasing tomfoolery. You CAN do that of course - it IS yer truck after all, but please omit the non-sequitur term 'mileage' from any of yer future posts.

Lastly - you also wasted money on that CAI/WAI. Not only does it not flow any better than the stellar stock intake, it requires tuning correction to render it safe.

Typically, you should research BEFORE purchase to avoid expensive blunders like this - not after the fact. I don't know what you've been using as information sources, but you should probably find new ones. And If it's yer buddies, tell them I said they don't know jack.

It'a all here for the Searching -that is why we have a very good Search facility in the first place. A real shame not to use it - it's FREE, too.

Good luck - we are here to help, but you need to be receptive and open-minded. Hopefully it's not too late. The 5.oh drivetrain is a beautiful piece of work right out of the box. Just ask Jim. Treat it right.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-24-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: assorted corrections and additions - I WAS napping after all ...
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You're wasting your money. The canned tunes in an Edge do nothing for an engine with an aftermarket intake. Get an SCT with custom tunes or a Diablo. As for the exhaust, all it does is sound.
This.

Unless you're sticking a roots or screw-type supercharger in that valley......that engine comes stock about as tuned as can be.

I would be curious to see if/what kind of gains a Boss 302 intake would make......as it would definitely make more HP, but probably only in an RPM range that you wouldn't use on a daily basis.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Pull the K&N and sell it, put the stock intake back on and use the money you made to help buy a proper programmer with custom tunes. If all you want is more noise, pull the resonator.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
custom tunes from someone like Mike @ fivestar would be the first mod

Quick Reply: HELP…. Which first. Programmer or Exhaust?