Change in MPG with a fuel economy tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Change in MPG with a fuel economy tune?

I have a 2006 F-150 Supercab XL with a 4.6, and am thinking seriously about getting a fuel economy tune, probably from 5 Star. Is a fuel economy tune really worth it though? What kind of gains in MPG could I realistically expect with 'normal' driving, running 87 octane, mostly highway?

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VAmountainman
I have a 2006 F-150 Supercab XL with a 4.6, and am thinking seriously about getting a fuel economy tune, probably from 5 Star. Is a fuel economy tune really worth it though? What kind of gains in MPG could I realistically expect with 'normal' driving, running 87 octane, mostly highway?

Thanks.
Hi.

To answer yer question, allow me to quote from Justin Starkey, owner and tuner, VMPtuning.com

"Specify the MILEAGE / ECONOMY option when ordering and we will optimize the tune for fuel economy when cruising while still providing excellent Wide Open Throttle power.

Our regular performance tunes DO NOT sacrifice power for economy. Our regular performance tunes may actually improve mileage slightly due to increased timing and increased efficiency. We are able to make special changes to further increase fuel economy by 1-2MPG. The moderate economy option will be nearly seamless to the driver.

With the aggressive economy option some drivers may notice slightly decreased part throttle power and response. When ordering multiple tunes you may only apply the economy changes to one tune by mentioning this in the tune requests field."

Source: http://vmptuning.com/vmp-custom-tunes/tune/

At the end of the day, all else considered, it's the discipline (or lack thereof) of yer right foot that is the largest single factor in yer overall mileage.

For most all aftermarket tuning, HP & TQ gains are assured; mileage is not.

I'd expect that the above applies to purty much whomever you elect to do yer tuning.

My advice? Just get a perf tune in the octane of yer choice. And train yer feet. Higher octane tunes yield lower BSFC, typically.

good luck!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

To answer yer question, allow me to quote from Justin Starkey, owner and tuner, VMPtuning.com

"Specify the MILEAGE / ECONOMY option when ordering and we will optimize the tune for fuel economy when cruising while still providing excellent Wide Open Throttle power.

Our regular performance tunes DO NOT sacrifice power for economy. Our regular performance tunes may actually improve mileage slightly due to increased timing and increased efficiency. We are able to make special changes to further increase fuel economy by 1-2MPG. The moderate economy option will be nearly seamless to the driver.

With the aggressive economy option some drivers may notice slightly decreased part throttle power and response. When ordering multiple tunes you may only apply the economy changes to one tune by mentioning this in the tune requests field."

Source: http://vmptuning.com/vmp-custom-tunes/tune/

At the end of the day, all else considered, it's the discipline (or lack thereof) of yer right foot that is the largest single factor in yer overall mileage.

For most all aftermarket tuning, HP & TQ gains are assured; mileage is not.

I'd expect that the above applies to purty much whomever you elect to do yer tuning.

My advice? Just get a perf tune in the octane of yer choice. And train yer feet. Higher octane tunes yield lower BSFC, typically.

good luck!

MGD

Thankya. Thankya ver'much.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with MPG tuning (and I've never used the 5 Star setup) is that you trade responsiveness for efficiency.

I've done it a couple of times now, and both times I feel like you can get the same effect by driving very conservatively...not sure it's a good idea to buy a tuner just for this reason.

Quick Reply: Change in MPG with a fuel economy tune?