Diablo Pretator U7151: Review from a Gryphon convert

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Diablo Pretator U7151: Review from a Gryphon convert

Hi everyone

I just wanted to share my experience with the Diablo U7151 for the 04-08's. This is my second programmer since I have been tuned pretty much since I bought my truck in 2009. I went against the grain on this one as I see often on here the Non SCT products and PHP stuff is not advised. So consider this fairly neutral and I'm stating the differences I have observed. I was unhappy with the Gryphon's tuning. There was always some quirk or weird symptom I would experience on each tune. Pre detonation, uneven throttle response, and banging shifts. I was able to get a decent tow tune, but it had to be modified by Bill since it erratically accelerated due to poor throttle mapping. This was a canned tune. Stupid if you ask me. After a while I went back to stock. Drove much better, but with less power admittedly. I kept watching the prices and on Ebay, Summit racing had them on clearance for $199 with free shipping. I quickly snatched one up.

First impressions are a clunky in size unit. But I'm ok with that as you don't leave it hooked up. When I loaded the Predator, it took around 10-15 minutes for it to build the stock file and work through the menus. Once that was done, I plugged the info for my truck for the 87 performance tune. They have other 87's for the big name intakes and the 91+ octanes for the same. Once the tune was loaded, I unplugged the Predator and plugged my Gryphon back in for the display.

First impressions: Started up nice and power is impressive. Shifting is very crisp and has a nice firmness. It has a nice sporty feel to it and I took it for anice ride after work today. I was startled at how fast I was getting up to speed. Much more impressive than the previous Gryphon tunes on all octanes I experienced. I'll keep an eye on mpg as well. Guys, I'm really impressed. There's a lot of people recommending other products, but from what I see there are few people that have actually tried non SCT or Edge products that can TRULY say how much better they are. I'm very satisfied. I just want to get it set up for the 89 I always run.

Any questions just ask I'll update this as I track more miles. Just hit 100k the other day

Last edited by JackandJanet; 03-29-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo in Title
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

Congrats. Being happy is Job #1. This is literally the first time I've heard of Bill not being able to provide a satisfactory custom calibration. You must have the strategy code from hell, lol.

Be advised that you bought a discontinued product. Hence the discount.

I have but one question: What are your A/F's? It's a 2004 5.4L 3V - so you know why I'm asking.

MGD

Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 PM

You are correct and I have not checked honestly. I do not have a gauge to check that

Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 PM

Ok so I just looked it up... I can indeed do this from the predator. I'm going to take a sample and put it into their software this week so it converts the readings from their inverted form.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Ok so I just looked it up... I can indeed do this from the predator. I'm going to take a sample and put it into their software this week so it converts the readings from their inverted form.
Using fuel trims? Hmmm .... Only tells you part of the story:

"Right now, you can use the XCal 2 to the datalog fuel trims in closed loop (the no-load datalogging we talk about in our instructions), and that will tell you what happens at light throttle operation – you can also try datalogging while driving the vehicle around in “normal” driving, not using any heavy throttle, and we can see what the fuel trims are there & go over that with you. But that still isn't going to tell you much about what when it transitions over into open loop, so to get this right, you must also have the actual A/F ratios too. You can very easily have a scenario in which at some rpms & throttle positions it's "OK," yet at many others it's WAY off - that is precisely why that data must be obtained & what custom tuning is about - getting that data so it can be analyzed and any necessary corrections made." - TP

Source: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...sefulness.html

"In closed loop. you can monitor the fuel trims - this is the percentage of correction the PCM has to make to achieve stoich A/F. This is of course at light throttle light load conditions.

Now in terms of seeing what your A/F ratios are in open loop, what most people think of as WOT (wide-open throttle) but actually applies any time you are in power mode (open loop), for that you need a wideband A/F ratio recorder - I.E., the easiest way is to take it to a dyno.

With regard to your 0-60 times and not being happy with them, if you'd like to give me a call I will be happy to go over all the details of your vehicle and let you know just what you should be able to get out of it, so that you can tell whether what you are experiencing is actually in line or not, OK?

Last - for A/F ratios, I don't like generalizations, what a given vehicle's A/F's should be depends on it's engine, configuration, power levels, forced induction or not, and just how the tuner himself has set various things up - it all gets down to a sustainable EGT that really determines (at least, for a truly knowledgeable & experienced tuner) what the A/F's should be for a given application and type of tune - so there is no one set number in most cases - there are a few exceptions, for example, naturally aspirated 5.0 Mustangs tend to like about 13.0:1 for max sustainable power, a bit richer if top speed runs are going to be made - but there I go violating my own "rules" and quoting a set A/F ratio - again, this should vary depending on the vehicle, power, configuration, type of tune and the tuner himself and what his technique is to keep the combustion chamber temperatures in line so that what you end up with is maximum safe & sustainable power"
- TP

Source: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...n-vs-rich.html

Using Narrowband sensor voltages? More Hmmmm .....

"We always prefer to see the actual wideband A/F's, that is the way to get the most accurate data - now in lower-powered normally aspirated gas engines, we can sometimes use the O2 sensor voltages instead, and that will allow us to make a "gross" adjustment in many cases - but if you have the ability to get to a dyno or use an LM-1 to get the wideband A/F's, then that is the way to do it properly, and remember, it's not just the A/F's or just the O2 sensor voltage we need - it's ALL of the parameters in our docs - we have to have the engine RPMs, MAF voltage, spark, fuel trims & everything else in order to be able to correctly dial it in - so it's just not the A/F's, it's all the data, otherwise we have no idea exactly *where* in the MAF TF to make the appropriate changes."

Source: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...tion-mike.html

"And as I clearly explain in our datalogging docs that we released on 10-28-05, for those who are in such a remote location (and that only applies to maybe .05% of you, truth be told) that they really and truly cannot find a dyno anywhere within a few hundred miles, as long as the truck is not supercharged then we can get a rough idea of the A/F's by virtue of the O2 sensor voltages - meaning all you need is your XCal 2 and a PC. And by the way - that is NOT a method that we have introduced so that EVERYONE can forget about getting *correct* A/F ratios - this is intended to help those who literally do not have a dyno within 200-300 miles of their home, so using O2 sensor voltage instead of proper wideband A/F's is really only appropriate for those who actually do not have a dyno within 200-300 miles of them - not for everyone to take a lazy way out!"
- TP

Source: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...ly-needed.html

Got a linky?

Good luck

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-29-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 PM

I'm not as concerned seeing how it's a canned tune that is dyno based, no intake etc. The people who should be getting their stuff checked are those with custom tunes. I've said that before and very few ever do. I think I'll be OK. I WILL be installing a wideband when I do headers next year. I plan to have a bung welded in.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 03-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I'm not as concerned seeing how it's a canned tune that is dyno based, no intake etc. The people who should be getting their stuff checked are those with custom tunes. I've said that before and very few ever do. I think I'll be OK.
That is precisely why you need to know:
- Canned tune
- It wasn't your truck that was dynoed
- May be you box code, but likely not your full strategy code
- Predilection for 04-05's to exhibit lean conditions out of the box

You "think..." ? Considering how fastidious you are, this no makee sense to me....

You saved a bundle on the device - spending a bit more for one instrumented dyno pull is not unreasonable. And with that data, perhaps Diablo can send you a revised calibration, if it's required - it's been done before ...

I know, I know .... I tend to worry too much - don't mind ol' Bubba

Say - as I scream over the I93 overpass while going east on the Blue Star Memorial in a coupla months, I can toss out my LM-1 instrument so you can do it yerself

MGD

Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
That is precisely why you need to know:
- Canned tune
- It wasn't your truck that was dynoed
- May be you box code, but likely not your full strategy code
- Predilection for 04-05's to exhibit lean conditions out of the box

You "think..." ? Considering how fastidious you are, this no makee sense to me....

You saved a bundle on the device - spending a bit more for one instrumented dyno pull is not unreasonable. And with that data, perhaps Diablo can send you a revised calibration, if it's required - it's been done before ...

I know, I know .... I tend to worry too much - don't mind ol' Bubba

Say - as I scream over the I93 overpass while going east on the Blue Star Memorial in a coupla months, I can toss out my LM-1 instrument so you can do it yerself

MGD
I head ya I will eventually for sure. I appreciate the info, some good reads.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 PM

I took a longer way home... this things is really impressing me. Nice firm shifts while driving and nice firmer shifts when gassing it. I keep having to watch my speed. I'm amazed at the new power my truck has. Something really must have been off on the Gryphon tuning all these years. I love this!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome review, very glad to hear this.

It reaffirms what I have always felt to be true...our canned tunes can and will hold a candle to many of the popular 'custom' tunes that are out there.

For those worried about AFR on a sdtockish truck with a canned tune, either you have been through sopme junk tunes, or you're simply overly cautious, but this is not a concern in my mind at all.

OP, enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

For anyone wondering, these same tunes are still available in the current inTune and Trinity devices

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't run 'junk' tuning, and I am guilty of being abundantly cautious. My tuner has run into enough trucks with strategies that do not achieve the commanded A/F's. And I simply do not prefer "global spark and global fuel adder" tuning.

"There really is no way you can accurately predict up front if your truck is going to be lean, rich or OK either stock or with those mods you list - simply because they vary, some are lean right from the factory - though this tends to happen more in the 2004 & 2005 trucks. With most of the rest, it's a matter of keeping the MAF sensor's wires clean and replacing the upstream O2 sensors every 30K-50K miles, something almost nobody really does properly - and then the exact types of modifications you do. Anyway, NO off the shelf tuner can properly compensate for that, as none of them can properly write each of the 30 different points of the MAF sensor's transfer function differently as is required to properly dial in A/F ratios on a vehicle that is delivering a significantly different A/F ratio from what is being commanded. All any off the shelf tuner can do is simply throw a set percentage (2%, 4%. etc) additional fuel at the *entire* MAF curve, at all rpms, at any & all throttle positions - and that is not how to do things properly when adjusting Air/Fuel ratios." -TP

This same tuner has dyno'd Stock 5.4's of this same vintage, with the Stock intakes and found calibrations running upwards of 19:1 in open loop. No CEL. Thank-you Ford

Yer damned right I'm cautious!

MGD

Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor
Since I don't want anyone assuming you are correct in your assumption of 'global spark and global fuel adder tuning', heres a screenshot of one of our 93 tunes, there are no global spark changes.

There is a time and a place for global spark, but its not here. I dont know what you mean by global fuel changes. There is no specific global fuel setting that I have ever seen. We do edit stabilized open loop fuel, but that's the right way to do it

If you'd like to see a specific cal/strategy, name it.

Thanks

hmmm...cant upload attachments?
Dumb. Gimme a min

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the post Mike. I am so thrilled...I'm not exaggerating either if anyone thinks so that is reading this. I punched it yesterday. Hit 80 MPH very quickly. Very impressive tuning and under regular throttle : no stupid "quirks" . Drives like factory but more sporty. Very well setup if you ask me.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
good post John.....

we all have our (de)vices.....

Quick Reply: Diablo Pretator U7151: Review from a Gryphon convert