SCT Livewire - Changing Shift Firmness

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool SCT Livewire - Changing Shift Firmness

So far I've been happy with my Livewire. Have owned for a little over a year. The screen still freezes up some times, so I just unplug it for a moment then plug her back in. I've tried the 93 canned tune and really liked it. I was running a 93 Performance tune from 5 Star, then a few weeks ago I purchased several tunes from MPT. Among them is a 93 Performance/Street tune. I really like it. Here's the question. I was hoping that the street tune would give me a firmer shift. Don't get me wrong. It shifts better, and firmer than stock. I would just like it to be a bit "Firmer". The adjustments I've made on the tunes from the Livewire are raising the speed limiter to 110 mph., and raising the Rev. Limiter to 6,250 rpm.. I am allowed to change the shift Firmness for each shift, 1-2, 2-3, etc.. It allows you to do it by a percentage "%". I have no idea how far to take it. Has anyone changed their shift firmness this way? I'm not looking to snap my head back, too hard . I can change to a different performance tune for that. I really like the power delivery of this tune, just looking for a bit "Harder" shift in 1-2, and 2-3, or so? Would, say 25% be a good place to start. I just don't want to go into the programming like five times to get it done. Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
One of the good things about custom tunes is support from the tuner. Why don't you ask them? Tell him what you want and get his advice, or even have the tune rewritten?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had had a similar issue. I emailed my SCT guy. The higher the % the smoother or softer the shift will be.
In addition to the above 》 My own .02: do a PCM reset and give it a couple hours of driving and see how it shifts then.

Last edited by nu-supercrew; 04-27-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Cool

Thanks guys. To be honest I already knew that. I wanted to save myself the drudgery of sending an email, then waiting for the revision, of returning the truck to stock, unplugging the unit to bring it in, do the deed, taking the unit back out to the truck, plugging it in, then tuning the truck again. I'm not a tech. type of guy. I'm a "Plug and Play", then, "Leave it Alone" type of guy. It's always uncomfortable for me when I do anything involving computers. That's just how it is for me. High tech for me, was the Texas Instruments pocket calculator. Remember them? Although I am still unsure of myself, I am getting a bit more familiar with the Livewire. So I thought it would be simpler, easier, to try an adjustment on my own.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
I liked glc's response, but if you don't want to wait, I think your 25% figure is a good place to start, especially since you say the shifts are already firmed up compared to stock.

I was surprised to learn that a +25% change made the shifts softer.
I would have thought a positive change would make them quicker/firmer. If this is the case, change the shifts by -25%. (I guess it's changing the lockup delay, and a negative change reduces that delay.)

- Jack

Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Cool

Raising the percentage is suppose to make it shift Firmer. In the Livewire manual, where it describes the options and what they do, it says - "Shift Pressure: % in transmission pressure during shifts.(+=Firmer)(-=Softer)." Haven't had time to try it yet. Maybe this weekend......

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out with going too high. If just a DD then your probably good.

I know yours is a 150 but auto trans are auto trans. My SD pushes about 540 hp/1000 ft lb at 2300 feet. I ran the 1/4 a lot and "tried" it with 25% increase. Pump ate Itself trying to keep up and left me without gears lol. Truck had 135k miles but shifted fine right up to that point. Messing with settings without full knowledge of repercussions is a bad thing sometimes. Just be careful.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face - is softer

Originally Posted by nu-supercrew
I had had a similar issue. I emailed my SCT guy. The higher the % the smoother or softer the shift will be.
In addition to the above 》 My own .02: do a PCM reset and give it a couple hours of driving and see how it shifts then.
My mistake, - is softer + is firmer

Quick Reply: SCT Livewire - Changing Shift Firmness