????? about super chips guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????? about super chips guys

i have a question abouts the chips--i been reading all the posts and noticed alot of people talking about codes for their chips.How do i know what code i need for the superchip before i by one??-I have a '00 f150 supercab 4X4--5.4L ---I also seen a post about reflashing the computer if the chip doesn't have the right code--whats this all about?? thanks lenny

Old 09-01-2001, 07:41 PM
I found my computer code located on the passenger door A pillar (Front of the door jam) jam it is a white sticker with black writing on it. Hope this help.

Good Luck

Old 09-01-2001, 10:01 PM
code

ljb2148,
also look under the hood for a calabration update sticker, if you ever had the truck back to the dealer for any kind of service and if the dealer received aTIB on your model they will install a ecu update WITHOUT telling you.

Old 09-04-2001, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Lenny,

The others guys gave some very good advice, well worth heeding.

I'll just go over a couple of "pointers"............

First, to find your computer code (which is actually what Ford refers to internally as the "catch code") , the easiest place to look is to go to the passenger side of the vehicle, and then open the front passenger door. Look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges, and there you should find a sticker that has 3 letters followed by 1 number on it, and that is your computer code, very easy!

With regards to the term "reflash", it means the same thing as "reprogram" in this situation. Either your powertrain computer (in 1996 & up Fords) or a Superchip can be reprogrammed to a different code. The Superchip must exactly match the computer code of each vehicle. Sometimes your powertrain computer (ECU) may be reflashed at a dealership service department in response to a particular complaint, and if that happens, the code changes. They are supposed to place what's called a "Notice of Modification" sticker under the hood in a prominent location if they reflash the ECU, and write in the new calibration code. That type of code is different we use, however, if we have the whole calibration code (which can be 6-16 digits long), we can do a cross-reference to determine the code we need.

For example, let's say if you get a Superchip and at some point in the future, say a year later, your vehicle's ECU needs to be reflashed.............. well, the Superchip will no longer match because of teh new code, and the vehicle won't start with it installed. That's easily cured, you just send it back to us along with the new code & we reprogram the Superchip to once again match your ECU's code, and the only charge for that is a few bucks for return shipping.

I think that covers it, I hope I was able to make it a little bit clearer than mud.............

Let us know if you have any trouble finding your computer code!

Old 09-04-2001, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Big White,

You're so right, if there is a TSB, etc., they'll reflash that ECU without ever saying a word!

However, there is a way you can tell, and that is, look over your service paperwork from that visit carefully, and somewhere on there it will say "reprogrammed PCM", or they may use the abbreviation ECU, etc. It will say so on the service paperwork, as they have to file that with Ford to get paid for doing that work.

Many times that still won't tell you the new code, as they rarely write that on the service paperwork, so it pays to check for a code update sticker (Notice of Modification) under the hood, absolutely.

Worst case, the OASIS computer will keep a record of the last 6-24 months, and sometimes longer, of a FoMoCo's vehicle service history, that can be accessed at any Ford dealer just by plugging in the VIn number. Or, they can always just do a quick scan of the ECU.

Good point about the reflashes!

Quick Reply: ????? about super chips guys