5* Eco-87 map review

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5* Eco-87 map review

So, recently bought an X4 + 5 custom tunes from 5* with my primary goal to reduce fuel consumption as the truck is driven 85% of the time by the girlfriend on a daily basis.

Truck:
2013 XLT Supercrew, 6.5' box, 4x4, Ecoboost
3.73 gear
Wrangler Duratrac LT285/70/R17 on Pro Comp Metal Melisha
Line-X
BakFlip G2

Pre-wheel combo:
CITY: ~13.5L/100KM (~17MPG)
HWY: ~ 12L/100KM (~19MPG) @ ~115KM/H (70MPH)

Post-wheel combo:
CITY: ~16L/100KM (~15MPG)
HWY: ~15L/100KM (~16MPG) @ ~115KM/H (70MPH)

So yeah, she loves gas. But compared to most friends with Dodges and Chevs, I'm only worst on the highway (especially post-wheel combo!)

I blame my foot (obviously) on the somewhat quick accelerations, and definitely the much heavier wheels (and really not highway friendly thread) and the huge offset on the wheels. (they stick out massively VS the stock rims)

Also, the awesome "brick aerodynamics" (lol) and much bigger rolling resistance seems to get exponentially worst above ~105KM/H. That extra 10KM/H costs me OVER 1.5L/100KM on cruise control... but I just can't for the life of me stand driving at 100LM/H... it's insanely slow, and almost feels dangerous seeing as every single person passes by me like I was stopped.

Drove like that for about 18000KMs
Decided to take the plunge 3 weeks ago and buy a tuner, more specifically the custom tunes from 5star Tuning on the new SCT X4. Got Eco 87 & 91, Tow/Perf 87 & 91 and Full Performance 91. Getting access to 93/94 is way too hard to even bother, so I didn't take a single map.

Loaded the Eco 87 map about 2000KMs ago and drove it for a bit over 2 weeks.

First impression? SSSSSOOOOOO sslllllooooowww. But considering how 5star tuned the map, it was expected (no boost pre-2000 RPM, and lower PSI from then on). So incredibly sluggish... thank god I have the 3.73 on that map lol.

I did about 800KMs highway and 1200KMs city (lots of traffic every day) and got the following results:
ECO87 Flash:
CITY: 14.4L/100KM (16.33MPG)
HWY: 13.9L/100KM (~16.92MPG) @ ~115KM/H (70MPH)

You'll notice the numbers are very exact, because we happen to have done the city mileage consecutive, and then the highway mileage in 1 go, so it's not to be considered combined, but "real world specific mileage" (that doesn't sound right, but you get the idea heh). Another thing to note, the highway mileage this time was with full family + luggage for a weekend; 2 adults + 2 kids (~400lbs) + ~200lbs of luggage. I doubt the truck would feel the difference between just my girlfriend and the "crew", but it's an extra 380-400lbs. (just trying to put everything in context)

This translates to savings of about 12-15$ per full tank! With those numbers, the tune will pay itself in about a year! A part of me wants to try again with the stock wheels I still have in the garage, I'd probably hit some awesome numbers, but too much of a PITA.

Like I said, I personally don't like the low end torque being completely gone, but my gf loves it, as I don't have Auto-4x4, so in the rain/winter, if she forgot to force 4H, she'd spin a lot, and hated the feeling (first truck she's even driven, and it's a monster lol), but now she feels safer. She's happy, I'm happy with the savings, good results!!!

I'll be loading the Performance Only 91 map as soon as the tank goes dry. Not sure I'll do another review, as that map has been used by a good number of people, but I don't recall seeing a review on the Eco map, so thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks 5*, loving the results!

FYI: My "incredibly sluggish" comment might be a bit of an over-exaggeration; I've had turbo/supercharged cars for years (mustang, WRX and now X3 35i), so I haven't really driven a "slow" car in a while... 5* compares it to the NA V6 on their website, but I haven't driven that, so...

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review thanks! No doubt the tires/tire weight/offset will play on MPG however I wonder if your "post wheel" figures are off because the truck's computer was not reprogrammed for the new tire size which would skew your MPG results (tires turning less revolutions/mile).

That is fixed with the tuner now. Don't be shy post up your impressions on that fast tune!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is true! I remember thinking about that fact when I bought the wheel combo, but then it slipped my mind... because my GPS started being off in the speedometer section (by about 4-5KM/h at around 115KM/h!!), so that technically also means that I was registering less mileage on the odometer than I was actually doing, right?

So then, I'm probably about 1500-2000KMs UNDER what it should be in reality... guess that gives me a tiny extended warranty :P

Still about 1/4 tank of gas left before I pump 91 in... really can't wait to try it!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the Review. I have the 87 Eco but have yet to run it and have had the tunes for about a year. The 5star 91 Perf and Mpt 91 Perf is to much fun

Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct Dechy

Quick Reply: 5* Eco-87 map review