5spd & chip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi JMC,

Excellent, thanks for the post!

Glad to hear things are OK up in your neck of the woods, & thanks for your concerns, we're all fine down here. It was strange to say the least, I was only a few miles away from the WTC towers when they were attacked, as I just happened to be up in northern New Jersey on Tuesday.

Keep in touch JMC, & we hope to see more of you around here!

Old 09-15-2001, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,
Don't know if you have heard this before, but I bought a used Poweraid spacer and put it on my truck. My Friend told me I had to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the computer. Anyway, I took the truck out for a spin, and on my way back to remove it, aside from the annoying whistle I noticed a large power increase. After I removed the spacer, I went back out and the power is still there. I mean this was a noticable difference. Did I miss something in my instructions about the removal of the neg batt cable, cause since I have done this it is "smokin", and I'm loving every minute of it. thanks.

Old 09-15-2001, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Drew,

Yes, you're feeling the effects of clearing the ECU (your powertrain computer), not the effect from that spacer, those spacers really don't do much.

In our additional Performance Products documentation that we send out along with the manufacturer's instructions to our customers, we go over that in detail, and give them the procedure we use to clear the ECU after installing the Superchip. Doing that re-set, or clearing of the ECU forces the ECU to begin it's relearn cycle & the adaptive strategy adjustments from scratch. If you do not do that after installing the Superchip, then what happens is the effects of the Superchip come in much more gradually. The funny thing is, it doesn't make any difference a month later if you do this or not, by then you'll have everything the Superchip can do, based on how you're driving the vehicle. But clearing the ECU makes all the difference in the world in the short-term results after installing the Superchip.

Now in your specific case, where you're talking about installing that spacer, the power gain you're feeling didn't come from the spacer, as you discovered after you removed it, but from you doing a re-set of the ECU. Thanks to the adaptive strategy, the ECU attempts to optimize its operations, in it's limited ability to do so, for the manner in which the vehicle is being operated most of the time. So when a vehicle is driven say, back and forth to work, a daily driver, many times the vehicle is driven fairly conservatively for most of it's miles. This is exactly why some people will do a re-set of the ECU when they go to the drag strip, as they can sometimes pick up a tenth or two as a result, if the vehicle is a daily driver.

Have fun,

Quick Reply: 5spd & chip?