Can't read my computer code.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't read my computer code.

The computer code sticker has the last digit of the code worn off.
I can stil read the first three digits , BOJ. I think that the last digit is 4, does anybody know if that sounds correct or maybe someplace else I could look for the code?

Old 09-06-2001, 08:50 PM
If you are looking at the code on the door jam, lay on your back on the pass side and with a flashlight look up at the computer box abpve the kick panel. There will be another smaller sticker on the box itself. You may have to remove the black clip to see the sticker but you can double check.

Old 09-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info. It's raining right now so I will check it out tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2001, 12:26 AM
Send us some of that rain. I even just washed the truck but I dont care, its so dry here everything is dying.
Let me know if you find that code on your truck. Mike will be in and he will know if that code sounds right, I have code SVB1 and I think there may be SVB2 etc, not sure, so you should probably be sure on that last digit/letter..
Later

Old 09-07-2001, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Karson5.4,

In the BOJ series of codes, there is BOJ2, BOJ4 & BOJ5 that have been publicly released.

So yes, BOJ4 is in fact a valid code, and it's for a 1999 5.4 automatic F-150.

What ELKTAGAZ said is right on as far as looking for another code sticker.

You usually don't have to get on your back in most cases, every once in awhile it helps in some of these vehicles though. Just look above the passenger's kick panel, and you will see the computer, it's a galvanized alimunum box, rectangular shaped, and it will be held against it's mounting plate/bracket by a small plack plastic pressure clip. This clip has a little "handle" on the back of it, just pull it straight off, very easy, and then look on the back of the computer where that clip was covering up; there you should find another code sticker. 95% of the time, that black clip will be positioned from the factory right over top if that code sticker, so it almost always has to be removed.

If you still can't find the code, then you can always pull the computer from the vehicle to get a look at the large sticker that is on top of every Ford computer. To do that, first disconnect your battery, then loosen the 10mm bolt in the middle of the ECU's wiring harness, which is under the hood right behind the battery on the firewall, and with that 10mm bolt loosened enough (don't try to remove that bolt, just loosen it a lot), you can disconnect that harness. Then go back into the cabin and remove that black plastic clip mentioned above, and that's it, the computer will drop right out, 3 easy steps, about 3 minutes. Then you'll be able to see the large sticker on top of the ECU, which will have several lines of writing on it. The code will be printed in bold capitals, so it stands out, and it will be 3 letters followed by 1 number, as you already know.

The computer goes back in reverse order.

You're probably a BOJ4, it sounds like.

Old 09-07-2001, 08:22 PM
I found the code! It is BOJ4. it was very easy to find and I did not even have to remove the clip, just bend it a little. Thanks for everbody's help.
I have one more question for Mike, if I install the chip now and then upgrade intake and exhaust, will the chip have to be re-programmed later or will it adjust to the new changes?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Steve Karson

Old 09-09-2001, 04:14 PM
The superchip does not need to be reprogrammed if you add things like an air intake, AF1, airaid, K&N, etc, or if you install a catback exhaust system. It complements these mods. Just make sure you reset your computer after each mod. Unhook your battery and turn your lights on for five minutes, turn the lights back off and reattach your battery cable. You'll know the computer was reset if you see all your guage needles go all the way up, then back down when you turn the key. You'll notice a difference.
Jason

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2001, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Steve,

The "standard" Superchip performance program for each computer code in these F-trucks will work just fine with most of the more popular exterior bolt-ons, specfically things like K&N air filters, airbox elimination kits, & cat-back exhaust systems, we do not need to make any changes for those types of modifications.

The types of modifications that *will* affect the engine tuning enough to require compnesation in the Superchip's program in these F-trucks are things like changing the MAF (mass airflow meter), and then primarily major mods, like supercharging, nitrous oxide, ported cylinder heads, etc. The Superchip can always be updated in the future should you ever do any modifications that either require, or can benefit from, custom programming.

As ELKTAGAZ mentioned in his response, sometimes people will do a re-set, or "clearing" of the ECU (that's your powertrain computer) after doing other mods like airbox kits & exhaust system changes. That really doesn't make nearly as much difference with those types of mods, (air filters & exhausts), but some people, myself included sometimes I have to admit, will go ahead and do that, clear the ECU after installing even a minor modification. What that does is force the ECU to go back thru it's relearn cycle, and begin it's adaptive strategy adjustments from scratch with the new mechanical configuration.

That is something that is *critical* to short-term results when installing something like the Superchip, so you don't have to wait 350-500 miles to start feeling the results, but doesn't make nearly as much difference in things like airbox kits & exhausts. However, many of us do it anyway, even after minor mods.

Old 09-10-2001, 07:57 PM
Thanks to everone for the helpfull info.

Quick Reply: Can't read my computer code.