Superchip & gas for Mtn. driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip & gas for Mtn. driving

Hey guys,

I am seriously considering the superchip. What octane recomendations do you have, and does anyone have experience driving in the Rocky mountain elevation 7,000-9,000 ft. Gas, other mod's, etc???

Old 09-10-2001, 02:56 PM
mountin driving

I have a superchip, K&N Filk, and straight pipes. It didn't help a lot(.5 - 1mpg) with fuel econ but it did help on pulling power and trans shifting in the mountins. I pull a 4 place snowmobile trailer full of Ski-Doo's

Old 09-10-2001, 03:17 PM
I don't have a chip, but to answer your octane question 91 is the most you can get in Colorado, according to Mike T, that is fine with the chip because of the altitude.

Old 09-12-2001, 10:55 AM
91 octane

Originally posted by RED Y2K SPORT
I don't have a chip, but to answer your octane question 91 is the most you can get in Colorado, according to Mike T, that is fine with the chip because of the altitude.
I was aware of the 91 being the highest available here,

but the dealer had told me not to use anything higher than

87 since it would "run too hot"..??

Old 09-13-2001, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tdog,

In the factory program, the engine's tuning is optimized for all aspects of the use of 87 octane fuel. That means spark advance, fuel curves, etc., are all calibrated for the characteristics of 87 octane gasoline For best performance, mileage, and driveability, when you're using the factory program, you should use only 87 octane, as long as you aren't experiencing any detonation.

The factory programing does not have the ability to properly compensate for higher octane gasoline, and so you're best results will be had by using the octane that the engine is tuned for. From the factory, in these F-150's, that is 87 octane.

That all changes with the Superchip; with the Superchip, your engine will be re-tuned for the use of 91-93 octane premium gas. Not only is it perfectly safe to use premium gas with the Superchip, it is in fact *required*, and it's perfectly safe for your engine. We've done it to every one of our own vehicles for a solid decade here at Performance, to say nothing of our many customers over all these years, and it has never caused any overheating, etc.

If you are consistently operating that vehicle at 7000 ft. or above, then we should do a high-altitude program for you, and that is easily done.

If you'd like to have this done, just give us a shout, our contact info is just below. Or, if you'd just like to go over this in more detail, ask other questions, etc. please feel free to call, we're always happy to speak with you.

Best of luck with your truck,

Old 09-15-2001, 12:42 AM
I have run with the Superchip for almost a year. At first I was alarmed that 92 was the highest octane other than race gas I could find at 5000 ft.. When I went to colorado a couple of months ago the highest was 91 and had me a little worried. I have to say that I have never heard any pinging or any other abnormal sound coming from my engine running with those octanes. I guess I have put around 5000 miles on her since installing the chip and have been happy with the performance. Although I still cringe sometimes when I get on it because the tranny shifts fairly hard at 1/2 throttle and more. As far as gas milage, I never was a number cruncher and have no interest in my gas milage. I know it aint great so be it. I could drive my wifes 4 banger or the bike if I was that worried.

G

Old 09-15-2001, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Geeky,

Thanks for your post.

I noticed you mentioned being concerned with shift firmness once you're into the throttle. You may already know all of this, but just in case you may not be completely familiar with what to expect in the way of shift characteristics with your Superchip, in general, the more throttle opening you give the vehicle, the firmer the shifts should get. We're increasing line pressure with increasing throttle opening, in a linear fashion, just as it should be.

When you're driving it conservatively, or just cruising, meaning relatively light throtte, the shifts are still smooth & fluid, just a bit quicker, so as not to upset passengers, cargo, etc.

The idea is to give it a shift characteristic that is representative of the type of vehicle it is, and how it's being driven, for best performance within that vehicle type. The reduced slippage from the Superchip's transmission calibration tends to give a longer service life to the bands & clutches, all else being equal, due to less heat being generated as the result of less slippage.

That's just a very brief description, to give you a very basic idea of what the Superchip is designed to do in this regard. If you'd like to check with us to see if what you are experiencing is normal, please feel free to give us a call, our contact info is just below, & we're happy to go over this with you, if you like.

Best of luck with your truck,

Quick Reply: Superchip & gas for Mtn. driving